• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Time Warner cable throttle their internet??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottcha

1881164437.png

Does Time Warner cable throttle their internet??

Here is the plan I have below. :mad: My computer crashed and I'm going through re installing all my programs and they all need to be updated.

Attachments

• internet plan.PNG
    internet plan.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 9,618
Long story short, yes. TWC is, IMO the worst company when it comes to traffic shaping/throttling. Really wish we had J:Com here in the states. 160Mbps for around $70/mo.

I'm leaning towards cerberus's vote. I know for a fact that TWC's 'Turbo' which costs $10 more a month is a scam, ie, they must be throttling everyone. I'm only paying $25 or 30 a month atm and it's better than dsl, has no contract, and requires no deposit. I'd love to pay for a business type acct just to compare the speeds though. Then again I'd like to run fiber optic in house too.

TWC STINKS!!!!!!!!! I hate them, plain and simple! I had Cablevision/Optimum when I lived 15 miles away, but when I moved on the other side of the mountain they only have TWC here. Basically I went from like 55 down and 5-8 up to about what the OP's speeds are. And here's the kicker...... Time Warner is more expensive! I was under the impression that you couldn't have a monopoly in the states, however that doesn't apply to cable companies I think

I haven't had any problems with TWC, I have their roadrunner service here, and I've been on their 30down/5up and 50 down/5up plans. My downloads are always exactly at 30Mbps. I am in the country, not sure if that helps as there isn't much population density.

I don't use my DD-WRT router any more that logs transfers, however I track it in other ways, and I'm at about 1TB of transfer in about a month.

That is mostly streaming and transferring HD content, as I don't have cable/satellite TV. I don't do any P2P, except bittorent to help distribute Overclockix, so that probably plays a big part in avoiding any traffic shaping/throttling. I have read they do that, it just hasn't impacted me... Direct downloads however aren't anywhere near as hard on network equipment as hundreds of connections over P2P networks.

1882756683.png

Here is another speed test and it shows much better speeds. I have not downloaded anything today.

I had TWC 50/5 for 2 years I have downloaded 1+ TB of data non stop at full speed even used rsync between me and friends house for 10+ TB's of data (took forever) and never got throttled.

I have no idea what was going on robble but i have been noticing this happening lately. I repair some of my friend computers and while downloading the update it slows to a crawl. While re installing windows 7 on mine i had a ton of updates and sp1 along with a bunch of free programs that i use and it just slowed way down and then i took the speed test screen shot after everything was done. The next day around the same time i took the second screen shot and everything seems better. I do use net flicks a lot and have notice near the end of a movie it will pause for a min, and then start again.

Back when I had Netflix I couldn't stream anything without it buffering forever first, but I didn't have Netflix long so that wasn't too big of a problem. Only other issue I've ever had was horrible ping for 3-4 months while they were doing upgrades.

One weird thing I noticed is since their upgrade all my speed tests show like 22-28M down even though my plan is only 7M and I never download real files any faster than 7M. It's like they somehow trick the speed test into showing 3-4x the real speed.

I have the RR Turbo service. It was at 15Mb/768kb (Turbo would net around 20Mb or more for a short time). Just recently they sent a email out stating that the standard speed was being upped to 20Mb/2Mb.

1885801518.png

I'm guessing the "Turbo" is now upping the download to 30Mb for a short time. I don't see any throttling going on either, no matter what is going on with my LAN (multiple HD Netflix streams for example).

That is really bad, you might try checking that again at different times of the day and night to see if it traffic but as much as I hate TWC/Roadrunner I have never seen throttling. They do charge crazy rates for the faster stuff but it depends on your distance from one of those green boxes or buildings though. I fought with this for years in my old condo because of distance and older wires but my house has one of their boxes in my front yard so I'm maxed out for my service.

One thing that hits it hard is how many splitters are in your house so you might check that, also if they are good quality ones. If you have older cable you might consider replacing it because it could be chewed up or something that is killing your speed as well. I would start off by calling them to get a tech out to examine your signal strength from their main. That will at least tell you if you need to go through replacing cables and all that or you are just hosed.

I haven't had any problems with TWC, I have their roadrunner service here, and I've been on their 30down/5up and 50 down/5up plans. My downloads are always exactly at 30Mbps. I am in the country, not sure if that helps as there isn't much population density.

I don't use my DD-WRT router any more that logs transfers, however I track it in other ways, and I'm at about 1TB of transfer in about a month.

I had TWC 50/5 for 2 years I have downloaded 1+ TB of data non stop at full speed even used rsync between me and friends house for 10+ TB's of data (took forever) and never got throttled.

WOW.
Lucky :p

I'm using charter and the plan I'm on has a 100GB cap, and they do throttle you when you go over. And when they do, you basically have dial up until the next month.

I always get consistent speeds though.

And their upload sucks like pretty much everyone...Their plans are
15/3 (100GB cap)
30/4 (250GB cap)
100/5(500GB cap)

And I'm just out of Comcasts range..and their Xfinity has WAY better upload speeds.

In 11 yrs of using TWC I've yet to be throttled. There are times when traffic is very high and my net speed is affected, as my area is a bit oversaturated with TWC customers.

The school days (holidays, break periods in school year) that kids have off is an example.

Dont complain, we get hosed here in Canada for highspeed. 'Up to' 15Mbs for me is $65, and the same companies hose us on our cell phone bills too.
Better be using third-party ISP. TekSavvy is the highest rated in the country, although Acanac/Distributel is cheaper.

Back