• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NOOB QUESTION!!! 4+4 vs 6+2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous22x

Registered
okay so my psu(cooler master silent pro hybrid) came with 6+2 wires and some 4+4 wires, whats the difference? is one for a video card and one for a motherboard? i apologize for my noob-ness :facepalm:
thanks

4-4 wires are for the motherboard 8-pin connector, since some motherboards have 8 or 4 pin power.

6-2 wires are for pci since some video cards have 6 or 8 pin power.

4-4 wires are for the motherboard 8-pin connector, since some motherboards have 8 or 4 pin power.

6-2 wires are for pci since some video cards have 6 or 8 pin power.

thanks alot man, i know it was a dumbass question but you helped me out

I think it was a great question... Much better than; "I plugged my computer in and smoke started billowing out of the CPU and power supply, what do I do now?" (and then posting bad reviews of your "lousy equipment" on)
Just curious, I was looking at your build specs, just what have you ordered yet? You might want to look at the NVidia 680's - might actually be available by the time of your build completion and will (is suppose to) take advantage of the PCI3.0 slot(s) on the mobo.
I also like that you're doing water cooling. Have fun, ask lots of questions and post pics (I have a personal leaning toward the CM Storm Trooper - kind curious what you think of the sniper as you build in it.)

The smoke isn't farfetched either...the 4+4 and 6+2 actually fit in the opposite slots, but if you put the 6+2 (PCIe power) into the 4+4 slot on the motherboard (EPS connector - it's actually the CPU power), the ground wires get mismatched and you end up getting a short = possibility of fire and explosions and other bad things.

Simply put, it's a VERY easy mistake to made with very bad consequences...always better to be safe than sorry. :thup:

Back