• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade CPU Question...???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kiroz90

I would like to upgrade the CPU from my Notebook...can I upgrade this Notebook? if I can, which CPU can I upgrade to?

MY SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS Toshiba a665d s6091

CPU TYPE:
AMD Phenom(tm) II P940 Quad-Core Processor
CPU SPEED:
1.72 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY:
7.75 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
1 GB
HARD DISK SIZE:
583.8 GB

Attachments

• CPU-Z 1.png
    CPU-Z 1.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 58
  • CPU-Z 2.png
    CPU-Z 2.png
    44 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the case these days but I think it used to be that on laptop motherboards the components were soldered in. This thread might be more appropriate for the laptop section of the forum and you would probably get more attention there anyway.

i have a socket s1g4 laptop and the cpu IS removable i would hope/think yours is too. but check first anyway.
you should get a temp monitoring program and see what your temps run on different loads.
i have a laptop with the single core v140 and its cooling system is so horrible it idles around 50c lights loads with run it up 60-70c its really that horrible. if your temps run like mine then i would definitely stick another 25w cpu.
ok after checking temps determine what programs you mainly run do you use alot of single/dual threads apps if so go with a dual core like the Phenom II p650 it will perform faster than your current cpu on those kinds of programs.
if you run alot of multithreaded programs like 3 or more threads you should probably stick with what you got unless you dead sure your lappy can cool a 35w and maybe check into that.
but remember on cpus like these getinga faster quad core wont really run single/dual threaded apps any faster than what you have now and you should look into dual core-possibly tri-core if you want a good middle ground
this is a pretty good site to see a list of s1g4 processors
http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_S1_(S1g4).html

If anyone more educated that I, see that im telling this person wrong please correct me.

Last edited:
Back