• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 overclock to 4ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hawaiiansnow

Registered
Hi, I'm running a Gigabyte x58 oc m/b i7 920 cpu notcha dh-14 cpu fan. 16 gb of ddr3 ram.

I have turned the 4ghz button on, it has taken my i7 to 4ghz i ran an occt test and its stable, temps get to 82c if that to high?

Thanks for reading/replying

I believe the Intel processor spec for that chip is 67.9C. Personally, I would not run an i7-920 at 82C. Probably 70C max. What is your vcore?

I believe the Intel processor spec for that chip is 67.9C. Personally, I would not run an i7-920 at 82C. Probably 70C max. What is your vcore?
The 67.9°C spec refers to Tcase max. (case temp / CPU temp), and not TjMax of 95-100°C which relates to the core temp's (Tjuncton) as read by both Real Temp and Core Temp. As long as the OP is referring to the average core temp, 82°C is ~18°C below TjMax which is somewhat high but OK considering a 1.35V Vcore.

I was just curious. 1.35V is well within the acceptable range. (Intel spec is 0.800V-1.375V).
That voltage spec refers to the VID Voltage Range, and not the absolute maximum Vcc / Vcore for the i7-900 series chips. The absolute max. Vcc as given by Intel for the i7-900 series is 1.55V.

that temp is acceptable, but if you really want to see what temps your PC will get up to over time try out prime95 small fft mode for an hour or two. If you stay under 90 you should be okay!

you may also be able to lower that vcore of yours.

also i have a gtx 560 soc as graphics can i put a gtx 560 ti or a gtx 560 oc in with it in sli or has it got to be the same gtx 560 soc

also i have a gtx 560 soc as graphics can i put a gtx 560 ti or a gtx 560 oc in with it in sli or has it got to be the same gtx 560 soc

It needs to be a GTX 560 with the same memory size as the other card, the 560 ti will not SLI with a standard gtx 560, so a gtx 560 OC will SLI fine with what you have as long as they are both either the 1gb or 2gb versions.

Back