• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What makes a video game look good other than pure graphics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1 thing people tend to overlook in games is physics. IMO good physics is just as important if not more important than graphics.

I think textures are the most important thing. I think thats why there's a community driven texture development scene for many games, and a lot of people run mods like that.

There are flashier things with effects and so forth that give a game extra bling, but the texture quality is the base for how good a game looks in my opinion.

IMO i think its all these things wrapped up into one that make really great games but one thing that will ruin a game is just how it plays. for instance brink had some good art and decent graphics but man did the game play suck!

And as to I.M.O.G's point I don't know how many times iv stared at textures in games both really good to the random really bad you can find in levels in games and they do make a huge difference.

80% design, 10% art, 10% coding

It's all in the overall design of the game.

Sorry for not adding anything constructive graphic’s wise. But just make sure the game-play is great, I can overlook many imperfections in graphics, but imperfections in game-play and its in the bin..

Most people ignore this but a huge determining factor in how good a game looks, and how it looks, it lighting.
Textures and models only go so far.

Back