• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on Thermal Paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roYal

Ok, been out of the loop since I got my i7 920 3 years ago and am curious as to what is the recommended thermal paste these days?

Some background:
I am building a new machine for work and will not be used for gaming but for for lab stuff (I'm an IT guy). I won't be building a new gaming rig until Haswell so this work machine won't be doing any kind of overclocking and therefore I'll be using the Intel HSF.

Arctic Silver MX-4 is a really good paste for GPU's and CPU's. Just about the best you can get especially for the money.

^^^ True, I think he got Artcic Silver mixed up with Arctic Cooling who sell MX4. An understandable and relatively unimportant mistake.

Personally I still stick with Artic Silver Ceramique as it ships in those huge 22 gram tubes. Cheap and lasts absolutely forever. Great for using on builds for other people as it never needs to be reapplied except in cases where the cooler is removed. Bakes on nice and hard after the burn in period.

MX-4 is very nice. I switched to it from Ceramique as it's a bit easier to work with. Performance wasn't a consideration, but it works slightly better so that's fine with me.

Back