• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp compatability on windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Techtronic

Registered
Hey, My sisters bought herself a new laptop for work, a Lenovo IdeaPad Y570. The program for work is some eye scanning camera software. It was designed for windows xp. The new version is $500 which is a bit to much to upgrade to at the moment.

We have windows XP cd's and were wondering it possible to install windows xp onto her laptop in a seperate area and also keep windows 7.

My girlfriend also has a lenovo laptop and when i tried to install windows xp over windows vista it wouldnt let me because it wasnt a lenovo based operating system cd.

Did anyone know anything about how I should go about this problem?

We have tried running in xp compatability mode, It worked for one program but the other 2 programs wont let us finish the installation.

Last edited:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

If the XP installation disc says it needs something additonal (another disc to validate, or detects the hardware is not genuine/branded to the OEM on the disc) you need to get a retail or properly branded Windows XP (lenovo) install disc.

Since the laptop is newer, the motherboard and machine ID might not be in the Windows XP disc's list and might stop the install. They manufactured that laptop long after Windows XP was retired, so unless you get a Lenovo disc specifically for that laptop you will need a Volume License, Upgrade, or Retail version.

Even if you could install it, you'd be hard press to find/get drivers for the newer components. Most manufacturer do not make drivers for XP anymore. Even Microsoft have dropped support for XP.

If you can it maybe better to source an older PC or laptop. Or wait and upgrade the software.

Almost all modern components have XP drivers somewhere (maybe even by another OEM manufacturer). It can be challenging but I've yet to install Win XP on a newer system and get skunked not finding hardware drivers. YMMV. I've done this several times because some of our clients want new hardware but have older apps that only run on 2000/XP and like the OP don't want to spend hundreds or thousands for the newer upgrade.

The suggestion to get a used machine with Win XP is solid, considering you might end up having to buy a copy of XP in which case it may cost as much as just buying a used computer with XP already installed/licensed.

Hey, My sisters bought herself a new laptop for work, a Lenovo IdeaPad Y570. The program for work is some eye scanning camera software. It was designed for windows xp. The new version is $500 which is a bit to much to upgrade to at the moment.

We have windows XP cd's and were wondering it possible to install windows xp onto her laptop in a seperate area and also keep windows 7.

My girlfriend also has a lenovo laptop and when i tried to install windows xp over windows vista it wouldnt let me because it wasnt a lenovo based operating system cd.

Did anyone know anything about how I should go about this problem?

We have tried running in xp compatability mode, It worked for one program but the other 2 programs wont let us finish the installation.

There are ways to install and have that software work on Windows 7, you have the "compatibility" tab(rightclick on the installer.exe and click that tab) in which you can make it compatible, but then as the others here say the drivers those are a big problem cause you cant simply install all windows xp drivers on windows 7.

if you can post that "upgrades" name of the software with version number I check online if I can find the software for free, and mail it to you.

And about you problem with installing Windows XP over Windows Vista, that shouldn't be a problem at all, if you don't want vista and xp instead, it's easy to bypass the problem, just bootup with a windows xp bootcd, completely format the harddrive, and then it should not give you any lenovo related error at all.

If you still get errors with installing xp please post here the exact error you get and I'll help you were possible.

Goodluck

Back