• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung SSD 830 firmware update question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobsen

Hi all,

I just finished cloning my new Samsung SSD 830 series (512 GB) from my old Intel 160 GB one with Macirum Reflect, all went well and everything is working fine. But, (there is always a but), I noticed there is an updated firmware available for my new drive. I tried to install it prior to the cloning but the Samsung SSD magician could not 'see' my new SSD (after the cloning it 'saw' it).

Now I have some options to update my firmware and the quickest way would be the way via windows and Samsung magician, but is it the best?

Can some kind soul help a noob (with two left thumbs) with a 'play by play' of what the best and safest way to update the hardware would be?

Thanks in advance,

Bobsen

Use the Magician software from within Windows... browse to the new Firmware Update Image, create a bootable USB disk, then just boot to it after first changing the boot order in the BIOS.

Use the Magician software from within Windows... browse to the new Firmware Update Image, create a bootable USB disk, then just boot to it after first changing the boot order in the BIOS.

So you don't recommend trying to update it via the windows application itself?
Does the USB disk have to be FAT 32 or can it be NTFS? The reason I ask is all my USB disks are NTFS.

Thanks for your help,
Bobsen

The Windows app creates the bootable disk for you, which you then need to boot to in order to update the firmware.

Usually updating firmware from Windows it a bit dicey - that's why it's recommended to boot to a USB disk instead. I'm guessing the app is going to wipe the USB drive you give it.

Back