• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Ram stick death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Well, this is odd...I just got a brand new NZXT phantom, and nothing but problems has come out of it. Randomly stops seeing my 1tb storage device(have to reconnect it), and now one stick of ram suddenly craps out. Is there something wrong?

I'm starting to HIGHLY regret buying it..

wire management is causing me nothing but headaches...

*update* It read the ram, but stopped reading my 1 tb drive. I uplugged and replugged in both hard drives, rebooted, it saw the drives, but lost a ram. I reseated the ram, same slots to se if it just came loose, no luck. Have yet to try the other slots. Honestly just considering giving it to a "computer repair guy" at best buy or something to test it for me. Honestly, I can't seem to get everything running right on this pc with this new case.

Also noticed just now that my cpu clockspeed just reset itself...stressing out.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused as to what a case has to do with these symptoms? If you werent grounded properly/intermittently, I believe your PC would be powering off/on. If you have the mobo mounted on the risers and tightened down you would be fine, so not sure what the case has to do with any of your issues.

You can confirm its not the case by taking out the mobo, setting it on top of its box, and powering the system on that way. But again, I highly doubt its the case.

Sounds like a flakey motherboard if it was shorting on the case it wouldn't boot or it would turn on and off.

I'm not saying its the cause of the issues.

I'm saying I may have done something wrong when installing it.

Basically, What I think happened, is the power connector for my HDD came a little bit loose, causing it to be "unrecgonized" from tight wire management.

When I unplugged it, and re-plugged it back in, and started it back up, It said something along the lines of "CPU and Memory may have changed, check bios for verification." I went in, and saw it only had 4096 RAM and that my cpu had been reset to stock settings.

My worst fear is :Static shock rebound. It either fried the ram slot, or the ram itself...No smell of burning electronics tho. Any other possibilities?

When I originally wrote that post, I was stressed to hell and back.

and yes, It is on stand-offs.

Your new case is cursed.

Thats the problem trust me.

After you read this post, gut the system, and maybe hit it with something a few times, once to feel better, and the other times are to leave a mark. Its too pretty. Believe these words I speak to you.

After you finish, put everything back together, and fire it up, I guarentee it will work problem free, outside of unstable overclocks.

This has worked for me more then once :thup:

Well. Figured it out. Killed my mobo slot with a static discharge. Tempted to RMA, but at the same time, glad the core components are mostly unscathed.

Investing in a grounding wire.

swapped the two sticks places. Same slot detected(3) Also cmos was wiped out(defaulted)

Might contact MSI on RMA'ing it for a G3 model. I'll use my old mobo/cpu temporarily while i wait for it.

Well. Figured it out. Killed my mobo slot with a static discharge. Tempted to RMA, but at the same time, glad the core components are mostly unscathed.

Investing in a grounding wire.

Always wear a static wristband they are cheap insurance !

Remove the CPU, check for bent pins in the socket, then reseat it along w/making sure the HSF isn't over-tightened and is perfectly square w/ the socket when re-installing it. Reinsert the DRAM modules in slots 1 & 3, then reset CMOS.

Update: Now its in a startup loop and will not even get to a spash screen or post anything.....

I haven't touched a thing since last night. Shut it off and went to bed only to wake up to that...going to try starting it from the mobo switch, and if that doesn't work...:mad:

EDIT: started no problem. Theres a short in the power button on the case....LOVELY.

The HELL??? Now it sees both sticks fine...I dont even know...

Last edited:
Is there an intermittent short between the motherboard and case, especially at the mounting holes (check top and bottom of each hole) and at the corners (cases and mobos can flex enough to let mobo corners short to the case if there's no support within about 2")?

When the mobo was outside the case, did you keep it on the sheet of anti-static foam sheet until it was time to install it in the case? Most silvery bags aren't safe for this, unless turned inside-out. Also before picking up the mobo, did you touch its ground (metal shell around USB ports) and the case simultaneously? What about the hazardous practice of wearing shoes, socks, or long sleeves?

I'd first test without Windows or Linux, using something like MemTest86 or MemTest86+, and then scan the hard disk with MHDD or another self-booting diagnostic.

Is there an intermittent short between the motherboard and case, especially at the mounting holes (check top and bottom of each hole) and at the corners (cases and mobos can flex enough to let mobo corners short to the case if there's no support within about 2")?

When the mobo was outside the case, did you keep it on the sheet of anti-static foam sheet until it was time to install it in the case? Most silvery bags aren't safe for this, unless turned inside-out. Also before picking up the mobo, did you touch its ground (metal shell around USB ports) and the case simultaneously? What about the hazardous practice of wearing shoes, socks, or long sleeves?

I'd first test without Windows or Linux, using something like MemTest86 or MemTest86+, and then scan the hard disk with MHDD or another self-booting diagnostic.

to the anti-static, no. I had a convientent old case(Raidmax smilodon) I couild remove the motherboard mount from the case entirely.

to the "touching simutaniously" no, I had a stroke when i was younger, so I did everything with one hand.

wore nothing but my feet on a concrete floor.

The pc started up fine on its maiden boot in this case. The problem came after I ripped out anhd replugged in my HDD power cables.

As for screws being tight, I tigentened em as much as I felt comfortable.

going to try a memtest thats built into my bios... Also going to try resetting cmos tomorrow to see if i'm reaching at phantoms.

Do not keep tinkering with a bad motherboard or you'll lose a lot more than that. First try another board and then go back if problems persist. After years of mistakes this has been my most valuable lesson.

Solved. Moved the ram to the next dual channel setup, both read fine. Case is closed figuratively and literally. All Kosher now.

:clap::clap::clap:

Wee bit sad to know I can never have 32 GB of ram , but IDC about having that much :p

a bit of old thread revival: The slot works now. No idea what happened to cause it, But I'm not complaining. I may add two more sticks of my ram in the future now...16 gigs*drool* only reason I would use that ram is for extra multitasking, as I'm finding I'm doing enough to eat up 7 gigs of ram...XD

Back