• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raspberry Pi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can it run Crysis?

All joking aside this looks amazing. $35 for 800Mhz would be perfect for Fedora/Debian with LXDE or something of that nature.

Can it run Crysis?

All joking aside this looks amazing. $35 for 800Mhz would be perfect for Fedora/Debian with LXDE or something of that nature.

That's what I'm planning to do if I grab one - toss Fedora on it and use it as a HTPC frontend type thing for my NAS.

The developer said that later units will come with a case for it too. He also said it'll OC to about 800mhz max. I'd really love to use one of these to network a USB webcam. The tiny size of this thing makes it pet-mountable!

I will be getting one of these for my case, quite cheap: http://www.modmypi.com/products.php

No word of mine being dispatched yet, probably going to take a good while...

I Personally was thinking about proposing using these for Thin Clients at work.

would be neat.

Running XMBC(streaming) flawlessly @ 1080p.

The interface also seems to run quite smooth, it can only get better!

That is absolutely amazing for a $35 computer.
I need one.
I may order one RIGHT NOW.

One thing that would stink a bit would be the lack of gigabit ethernet for a HTPC type application. I am not sure how well HD would stream on a 100 Mbps connection. Of course I realize that the purpose isn't to be a HTPC and gigabit would cost more but it would be nice to see in future revisions.

One thing that would stink a bit would be the lack of gigabit ethernet for a HTPC type application. I am not sure how well HD would stream on a 100 Mbps connection. Of course I realize that the purpose isn't to be a HTPC and gigabit would cost more but it would be nice to see in future revisions.

10/100 should give you around 10 megabytes/second.

1080 compressed is around 10-30 gigs for 90mins, so requires 2-6 MB/s.

I personally have never ran a HTPC on 100 Mbps network so my only knowledge is from what I read from others. I'd still like to give it a try to see what it can do, that's for sure. I did a little searching about why they went with a 10/100 adapter instead of gigabit and from what I found on the Raspberry Pi forums, it was partially cost and apparently the network adapter shares a bus and the device wouldn't be able to really take advantage of the extra bandwidth the gigabit adapter would provide so it didn't make any sense to use with the bus bottlenecking the whole thing.

A coworker of mine has an Arduino that he automates his hydroponic pumps with, and that little thing really tickles my inner Rube Goldberg.

Makes me want to pick up a Raspberry, but I have no idea what I'd do with it :screwy:

10/100 should give you around 10 megabytes/second.

1080 compressed is around 10-30 gigs for 90mins, so requires 2-6 MB/s.

Indeed, I have had no issues with streaming over 100mbps connections.

However signal quality is vital to a seamless experience.

I would just like to warn everyone that it's not a finished product -- more of a development platform.
If you touch it in a bad place you can kill it. If you have condensation you will kill it. If you drop a metal nut on it you can kill it.
Majority of software developed is open community support. You don't get a CD/SD card with this product, you have to do it yourself. [not that hard but not a finished product].
Lastly, it has a pretty slow processor [ARMv6, 0.7GHz]. This will be significantly slower then an Atom.

From what I've seen it's a great product, but just be careful to only get it if you know what to use it for.

If you touch it in a bad place you can kill it. If you have condensation you will kill it. If you drop a metal nut on it you can kill it.

If you're really worried about an exposed board, you can wait for an enclosure which they're working on, or buy a bottle of clear nailpolish and seal the board, just be wary of coating parts that need to be left exposed; like port contacts.

I just coated my mobo in nail Polish. Is this supposed to help with overclocking or what?

You could just plug a powered USB hub into this, right? That way you could expand to whatever peripherals you needed, like... 8 USB hard drives? :)

Also, the micro-USB power port on this can be plugged into any cell phone charger adapter or whatever, correct? Anything with 5V out?

Back