• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raspberry Pi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kitty2Kat

Registered
A new board called the "Raspberry Pi" it has two versions and from what I've seen of this, it looks are so cool...what a computer you could have...
It would be nice if it had gigs of RAM, Model B comes with 256 MB of Ram but for $35. wow....and it runs on Batteries (4 AA), get the Linux Format magazine and it has an way for people to win one from this magazine...

Raspberry folding cluster, anyone? :) Obviously not powerful enough to make deadlines, but seems like it would be fun to get linux running on it.

It's cool to see hardware like this finally become available. A few more IO ports and you have some serious NAS potential.

I plan to get one once they're available, it plus an Arduino type board would make for a pretty glorious node type thing.

Once you get yours, please posts on how it's working out...sure seems like a neat devise... hope it's a winner...and hits it outta the ballpark....

I have been following the development of this device on and off for a few months now. I know the hardware isn't all that impressive as far as stats but if I remember correctly I saw it pushing 1080p video at one point. As I am currently looking for a HTPC setup I was wondering if this could be an option. I was thinking throw XBMC Buntu on a USB or SD and call it good. Can you put an OS on a SD card? I would think so as long as you can boot from it.

EDIT:
14 HDMI resolutions from 640×350 to 1920×1200 plus various PAL and NTSC standards.
Not only generic linux distros are being developed, there is also work being done on specific light linux distros like OpenELEC, as a basis for specific functions. In this case to support XBMC the open source digital media center.[77]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
From the Wiki. Sounds legit.

While the 700MHz CPU in the Pi's BCM2835 chip might be a trifle underwhelming, its graphics performance is anything but. Using the Broadcom VideoCore IV GPU, the Pi has some serious horsepower under its hood with full support for OpenGL ES 2.0 acceleration, hardware decoding of h.264 video and plenty more besides.

It's the reason the BCM2835 exists, in fact: the chip was originally developed for use in multimedia-heavy environments such as portable media players and set-top boxes. Based purely on multimedia performance, the BCM2835 is claimed to be around four times as powerful as the processor in the iPhone 4.
Raspberry Pi - Graphics Performance
Published on 16th April 2012 by Gareth Halfacree
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/pcs/2012/04/16/raspberry-pi-review/5

Last edited:
An HTPC for as low as 25 EUR? Sign me in for that, sir.

We could just connect the HDMI to the TV and the microUSB to the USB debug port on the TVs (most of them give power through there) and call it a day!

I've been following the development of this since late last year when a coworker pointed this out to me. I love to tinker with SFF stuff and this looks like it could be my next little project. Now I just need to wait a few months until all of the back orders are filled :D

An HTPC for as low as 25 EUR? Sign me in for that, sir.

We could just connect the HDMI to the TV and the microUSB to the USB debug port on the TVs (most of them give power through there) and call it a day!

I had that same exact thought. That would be... yes.

Another thought. I read some on their site about this being a charity based, I believe. The implications of this being a computer for either education or non profits would be amazing. Think of the cost savings over having to purchase 100's of workstations. Just use this as a terminal and you are set. All it has to do is allow for a RDP session. Correct me if I am wrong but Linux has been able to do that for a long time now.

I'm definetly going to grab one of these as soon as i can. The things you could try with this are endless. Looking forward to getting one.

The developer said that later units will come with a case for it too. He also said it'll OC to about 800mhz max. I'd really love to use one of these to network a USB webcam. The tiny size of this thing makes it pet-mountable!

Back