• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair V formula Bios update fail...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itsmeSchmitty

Registered
Figured I would update my Bios last night but I wasn't thinking and was in a hurry and forgot to put my CPU back to stock. When I started the update it locked up right away. I let it sit for 30min knowing the the possible outcome, But had no luck. restart it and it told me to put a file name CF5.rom or put in the asus disk. So I did both(the CF5.rom file didn't seem to get found on my usb drive.) that worked but now it says the overclock failed and makes me hit F1 to go to bios. Then it says "ERROR, invalid input range" I click ok then it freezes tight i can't do anything.

I hit the clear cmos button, nothing, took out the cmos battery for about 10 min, nothing. I even put in a dual core athlon and still nothing...

So the only I can think of is contacting asus...
Thanks for any impute

It won't post at all at this point. Is that right?

Correct. It load my video card then tells me my cpu and the speed its running and and all that jazz. Then it says "Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting. Overclocking failed! Please enter set up to re-configure your system."

That is POST actually, the POST is when that screen comes up and it tells you what things are running at... So you are passing POST and the board isn't exactly bricked.

I'd go ahead and contact Asus and see what they advise, telling them it will POST and tell you to press F1, but then it locks up on you and you aren't sure how to recover.

Have you tried not clicking ok on the message that comes up, and pressing esc on the keyboard or enter? Long shot but all you need to do is get back to the EZ flash utility and you should be set from there, if possible.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, I can just send you a working bios chip - I think its socketed on the CVF if I remember right, and I got a toasted CVF here not doing anything. I'd take your current bios chip in return, I can hotflash it and use it as a backup for my working CVF.

itsmeSchmitty this is POST. If it locks up on this screen with cpu info etc then turn off pc, plug out power cord and remove battery for 1 min+. Removing battery is working in different way than using clear cmos jumper or pushing clear cmos button. Try that 2-3 times and if it won't work then contact with ASUS ... or IMOG ;)

Read through the manual, by using ROG Connect you can flash the bios even without a cpu in it, also check the ROG forums there are several people there that can guide you through it !

Thank you oldbrave I forgot about that. I have been busy with work the past couple days so by the end of this weekend I am going to try ROG connect then contact ASUS see what they have to see and if they got nothing I may consider the bios chip.

Thanks for the help

Wow, if ROG thing works I might just have to fork up the extra cash for one of the Crosshairs my next upgrade. Please update us on your progress.

Update:
ROG connect does not allow you to flash bios remotely. I am going to try an older ps2 keyboard then contact Asus if that doesn't work.

BugFreak, if you want to know more about ROG I can put some screens up of it or tell you the stuff you can do if you would like to know more.

I'd say to put in the flash drive with the properly named rom file then turn on the rog connect switch.
Just make sure the board is powered.

Well i contacted Asus. They are going to send me a FREE bios chip.

the USB idea did not work :( don't know if my chip was just that messed up or what but ya.

Thank you all for your help.

I had the same problem corrected it by BIOS flashback
im posting it here because it will be useful to somebody facing the same problem like me.
1.remove cpu and RAM
2.Format Flash drive to fat32
3.Copy the bios rom file to the flash drive
4.rename it to C5F.rom
5.just connect the 24 pin atx power cable and switch on the smps
6. insert the flash drive make sure the ROG Connect switch is in ON position and press and hole the GO button on your motherboard
until the LED near the bios EPROM chip starts blinking
7. after it is finished the process the LED will not be glowing.
8.Insert CPU and RAM, start the motherboard.
Hope this Helps.

Back