• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with software overclocking Intel core 2 quad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pavin

Hi friends,

I am new to this forum. I plan to overclock my Intel Core 2 Quad Q 9550 CPU with a software since my Intel DG43NB motherboard would not support overclocking in BIOS.

I really need to overclock my PC and can you please suggest any softwares.

I already tried SETFSB, but it didn't support my PLL, so can you please suggest any other method.
I am desperate.

My Intel DG43NB motherboard with G43 chipset uses the Winbond W83627DHG clock generator.

Also, will it yield any satisfactory improvement in performance over the stock one aftre software OC'ing?

Thankyou for your help.

Software overclocking will not benefit at all in performance you need a used oc board so you can lock the PCI buss.

Hey, can some of you guys just recommend a good OC board. Nothing too great. It just needs to support my processor, OC'ing and mine is a LGA 775 socket

gigabyte are great for duo's My first oc was on a GB board 8600 pushed 4k stable with it. Kinda started the whole thing for me. Like stated just find a good used one. New ones will set you back 120+ But if you plan on keeping it for a while then 120 bucks is not bad IMO.

Guys , how about the Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2 Motherboard ? I got a quote on a brand new one for 52 USD.

But will it support only ddr3 ram? I don't know. Can you please help. The one you have shown me in the link above is used and also high priced when compared to this option.

Thanks for your help and timely replies. Please help

If you want a good overclock, I would suggest staying to the P35/P45 chipset. The G41 doesn't do well, if I remember correctly.

That's true the The G41 does not overclock that well and you would need new DDR3 ram.

the one in my post above is a good pick you don't need a receipt for warranty and it's 3 years so it's a safe buy.

Asus and gigabyte have 3 year warrantys and you just send it if there is a problem.

look for p45 for your quad core the p35 did not do that well with quad overclocking.

Do you have a video card?

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a video card, pretty basic , a 3 year old 9400 GT. I just OC'd it max, so extracting every bit out of it until it breaks.

Well, thanks for your help. I am still trying to get a better quote.

9400 ouch. You know I have a 9600 just laying around. Where in this world of ours do you live?

I am one of those users who joined this forum to OC the crap out of my computer, so that I can continue using it until it breaks.

I ain't planning to break any world records with this. :rain: :chair:

Hey guys can you please tell if the asus p5g41t-m lx motherboard is good for overclocking my core 2 quad?

I have ddr2 ram, so i think i will replace if i buy this. It has overclocking options, by the manufacturer itself. I found this on this website. Pretty good deal considering it costs only around 50 us dollars.

That board CAN overclock, but it's not very good at it.

I run my Q9550 in an EVGA 780I Sli and the only think keeping me back on my OC's is my CPU Cooler (new one on the way then I'll blast past 3.8 and giggle the entire way).

Take a look at this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138183

I had a Q6600 that I ran in this board for awhile and I was able to take it from 2.4 Ghz to 3.4 Ghz using a Hyper 212+ cooler. The processor was able to go farther (took it to 3.6 on my EVGA I780) but the board held it back. Still 3.4 was very close and still a good overclock so this is the board that I would suggest if your looking to buy brand new.

If your looking to get the best OC possible though I would suggest looking in the used market for a good I780 board.

A 780 board for a Q9550? I've never heard good things about that combo. I think you will find more than the CPU cooler keeping you back when you try to go past 3.8GHz...I'm actually surprised you got that far as a good friend of mine had trouble at 3.4GHz. My Q9550 barely hits 60°C under P95 load at 4GHz on a P45 and it isn't the heat keeping it from going further. P45 all the way IMO.

Pavin, the board you have chosen is a G41. Look at the model number; p5g41t-m lx

You want it to say P45 if you want a decent OC. Anything with a 43 or 41 will hold it back.

Well, i will find out next week when the cooler comes. At 3.8 max prime 2 hrs puts its temps at 75 thats why i think thats what is holding it back.

A p45 board is probably going to be much easier to find than an i780. I agree.

Hey guys, can you post any links regarding where I can get a used or new p45 mobo. I cant find any. Thanks.

Ebay is going to be the most logical place now days to find it. Forum rules don't allow Ebay links do they? Either way I just went to ebay.com and typed in socket 775 p45 and a bunch of listings popped up.

Back