DuckDuckGo is Going Big

Anyone here using DuckDuckGo to search? They don't track anything the way google does and thats basically their selling point... You don't get personalized results. They make money by getting commissions if you go anywhere and shop through their site, so they also don't have ads in the search results.

They aren't huge by any means (they do far less queries a day than google or bing), but the amount of attention they are drawing is growing very quickly:
    http://trends.google.com/websites?q=...ate=all&sort=0
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

.... Google analytics....
    My Desktop: A8-5600K @ 3.6GHz, 16GB Adata Gold 2400Mhz Ram, GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-UP4, ASUS EAH6670 1GB, WD 640GB HDD, 2x DVD-RW (iHAS424N), CM RS-500, Raidmax Helios Case.
    Monitors: 6x ASUS VN248H-P (Held by LCD-2060 Hex-Mount Stand)
    My Server: Xeon E3-1220V3, ASRock E3C224, Dataram 32GB ECC, LSI SAS9220-8i, 33TB of Storage (13 WD drives), Antec EA-650, Rosewill RSV-L4500.
    Laptop: Toshiba l655 | i3-2310 | 1*4GB DDR3 | 15" LED | 10hr battery life
    Home-PC: to be updated..
    HTPC: To be updated..
    Tablet: iPad 1st Gen, 64GB..
    Phone: Verizon Droid DNA |

They actually also strip off your search keywords when you click a search result... So sites don't get your keyword info when you get to the destination.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

I do like it when I feel the results from a search are less biased to promoted sites. And while I have not heard of DuckDuckGo yet I have been using YaCy.(http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=703555)
    Running it on my own server makes me feel a lot less like somebody is influencing my results.

Quote Originally Posted by kyij View Post
    .... Google analytics....
    Piwik
    This message was printed on 100% recycled electrons
    i7-2600k@4.6ghz(1.380v), 16gb Corsair DDR3, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, gtx465, 3x500gb WD's
    "It does not take knowledge to be genius, it takes a different way of thinking..."
    And if you think about it too hard you will wonder why you did.
    Build your computer Overclock it! find a cure.
    Don't like looking out dirty windows? Live life without walls; Learn how to build an operating system
    F@H - ExtremeOC

Thanks for the heads up
    All rants I produce are sole property of 127.0.0.1.
    10 types of people understand binary.
    Suck iiiiiitttttttttt. -Shawn Spencer
    Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me

DuckDuckGo propaganda/promotion pages, which give you some useful information about their pitch:
    http://donttrack.us/
    http://dontbubble.us/
    The OC Forums Way

When I replied to this, I had not realized it, but when I select words, I have an option to search different engines. One is obviously Google, but the other was DuckDuckGo... Didn't even know, just saw a ducks face.
    My Desktop: A8-5600K @ 3.6GHz, 16GB Adata Gold 2400Mhz Ram, GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-UP4, ASUS EAH6670 1GB, WD 640GB HDD, 2x DVD-RW (iHAS424N), CM RS-500, Raidmax Helios Case.
    Monitors: 6x ASUS VN248H-P (Held by LCD-2060 Hex-Mount Stand)
    My Server: Xeon E3-1220V3, ASRock E3C224, Dataram 32GB ECC, LSI SAS9220-8i, 33TB of Storage (13 WD drives), Antec EA-650, Rosewill RSV-L4500.
    Laptop: Toshiba l655 | i3-2310 | 1*4GB DDR3 | 15" LED | 10hr battery life
    Home-PC: to be updated..
    HTPC: To be updated..
    Tablet: iPad 1st Gen, 64GB..
    Phone: Verizon Droid DNA |

Seems DuckDuckGo is an "open source" project also. https://github.com/duckduckgo
    Very interesting!
    i7-2600k@4.6ghz(1.380v), 16gb Corsair DDR3, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, gtx465, 3x500gb WD's
    "It does not take knowledge to be genius, it takes a different way of thinking..."
    Don't like looking out dirty windows? Live life without walls; Learn how to build an operating system
    F@H - ExtremeOC

i was using yauba.com for awhile but they started to get popular and i dont think they could handle the traffic they were starting to get its been saying there migrating for a long time now,they were pretty good before that tho.now im using http://blekko.com i really cant stand the direction this country is headed as far as our privacy is concerned our government and the people who line there pockets wont be happy til they know how many squares of toilet paper i use to wipe my ass.
    CPU----Intel i7 3820 (@4.3)
    Cooler-Corsair H100 W/Spectre pro fans
    Case---TT Armor Revo
    Psu----Corsair AX1200
    Mobo---ASUS Sabertooth X79
    Ram----32 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    Sound--Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty
    Hdd----Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD + 8TB External
    Bluray-LG 3D 12x W/MDISC
    Video--Evga GTX 680 SC Signature
    Monitor-Samsung 46"3D LED-UN46C8000XF
    OS-----Windows 7 x64 Ult

Quote Originally Posted by jazon1 View Post
    til they know how many squares of toilet paper i use to wipe my ass.
    Depends on the brand. for me
    Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me

Google giveth, and Google taketh away... Looks like Google doesn't like us this month!

For the keywords "i7 3770k", "3770k", and "3770k review", our big article is no where to be found on the Google in the top 10 pages (I did find our submission to Digg with our articles name, as well as a forum thread from here). That despite our article being linked on the frontpage of Slashdot.org and being linked well from various other sites and social media.

Yet on Duckduckgo, we are ranked in the top 5 for all 3 keywords:
    http://duckduckgo.com/?q=i7+3770k
    http://duckduckgo.com/?q=3770k
    http://duckduckgo.com/?q=3770k+review

One day Google is dumping buckets of traffic on us, the next day they black ball one of our articles. Go figure - no logic in it.
    The OC Forums Way

Fronting as a Mod Member
    That's what happens when you let algorithms and formulas decide on stuff like that... It is the only practical way of doing it though as having people manually rank every page of every site would take the population of earth and then some.
    Daily Driver: GA-890FXA-UD5 - Ph II X6 1090T - 16GB DDR3 1333MHz - MSI R9 280X Gaming Edition/HD 5670/HD6570 - Venomous X Black + G1238B12BBZP-00 - TX850V2 - CM 690 II Advanced
    Join the "Benching Team" - We have secret sauce! - OptyTrooper: GPUs are for burning not playing games anyway
    Kona on League of Legends: This game sits about as well with me as a gallon of prune juice does, and the results are just as nasty.
    I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova

Premium Member #13

google schmoogle ;D
    rig-NZXT source 210 elite --serv-- norco 270 2u---------------htpc-apex htpc case
    2500k 4.5ghz 1.3v------------------ opteron 2419 6-core--------------------e6600 @ 3.0ghz
    p67-ud4 ------------------------------ h8dmi-2 --------------------------- gigabyte g41
    8gb gskill 2x4 1600 --------4x4gb samsung ddr2 ECC -----------2x2b ddr3 1600
    xfx r9-280x black ----------------- onboard -----------------------------------HD 5450
    corsair hx850-------------------------antec vp-450----------------------------------275w came with case
    custom loop --------------------------socket f 2u passive ---------------------xigmatek durin
    win 7x64------------------------------server 2012 r2 datacenter--------------win 7 64 bit
    steam user name : Wagex (you happy bro?) HEAT
    "You can't get magical Harry Potter temps with big overclocks, PHYSICS has a lot to do with it." -conumdrum

Quote Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post
    That's what happens when you let algorithms and formulas decide on stuff like that... It is the only practical way of doing it though as having people manually rank every page of every site would take the population of earth and then some.
    Google does their "Page Rank" updates every once in a while, the last update they goofed up .
    http://searchengineland.com/dropped-...domains-118979
    My blog lost some rank due to that.

It actually is a way that Google, Alexa, Bing, and other collect data from willing users though, and you all should already know. *big pause* Toolbars! Cookie tracking evil things they are,, they give the best data.
    Problem with that though is the nightmare IE creates with toolbars....

With Chrome though toolbars are nothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    F@H - ExtremeOC

Insatiably Malcontent
    And DuckDuckGo is using a formula too. We just happen to like what it decided about Overclockers more.
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2500K @ 4.6GHz | 2x4GB Samsung DDR3 | GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    120GB Crucial M4 | 2x 2TB Samsung F4 | Seasonic S12 600w
    y2 DAC --> Custom M^3 --> Custom LM3875 ChipAmp --> Modula MTs
    Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled

Quote Originally Posted by johan851 View Post
    And DuckDuckGo is using a formula too. We just happen to like what it decided about Overclockers more.
    I agree!

I can't really blame the update for my blog though, I hardly ever post on it and when they did their update I had some htaccess issues. No big deal.

Search engines are still in need of a lot evolution, with the web growing at the rate it is and ethics expected of engines it will be a long time if ever before they are perfect. There is still a lot of things that have not even been thought of yet though that may come into play though.
    F@H - ExtremeOC

Well duckduckgo is not going big

Sorry Matt, it would be nice, they do everything right. Just there is a better reason to block all google cookies and keep using google.

Why?

5 laws of sentience.

Like google it wants to correct my spelling. instead of telling me, it just does it and "asks what Imean"/ No option at all for sentience, it only wants to give me grammar lessons.

Thats not the first thing, it is the last though. Not like I was using made up words before.

Besides that, anytime I cant find something on DDG, I go to google and what do I see, first link or maybe second. I have gotten very good at dialing down through all hte SEO crap over the years, so EVEN if I get a bunch of non-compliant results from advertisers playing the search engine games its pretty easy to shed them with a -keyword. Depends over the years, was -buy then -purchase - annual whatever works currently I have not hit them too often anymore since I have gotten good at dialing in my searches specifically

Real world queries help.

DDG does not work like that. they are the google of yesteryear but without hte groundbreaking search algorithim

If you want to stay private online these days, just stay off the ****ing internet. It is not only easier but the only true way. since your ISP tracks everything.

use other peoples computers/internet if you want to really be private. Just dont do it more than once

borrow your neighbors wifi, if its WPA encoded it is their house phone number. 10 digits afterall