• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DuckDuckGo is Going Big

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Anyone here using DuckDuckGo to search? They don't track anything the way google does and thats basically their selling point... You don't get personalized results. They make money by getting commissions if you go anywhere and shop through their site, so they also don't have ads in the search results.

They aren't huge by any means (they do far less queries a day than google or bing), but the amount of attention they are drawing is growing very quickly:
http://trends.google.com/websites?q....com,+anandtech.com,+&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

They actually also strip off your search keywords when you click a search result... So sites don't get your keyword info when you get to the destination.

When I replied to this, I had not realized it, but when I select words, I have an option to search different engines. One is obviously Google, but the other was DuckDuckGo... Didn't even know, just saw a ducks face.

i was using yauba.com for awhile but they started to get popular and i dont think they could handle the traffic they were starting to get its been saying there migrating for a long time now,they were pretty good before that tho.now im using http://blekko.com i really cant stand the direction this country is headed as far as our privacy is concerned our government and the people who line there pockets wont be happy til they know how many squares of toilet paper i use to wipe my ***.

Google giveth, and Google taketh away... Looks like Google doesn't like us this month!

For the keywords "i7 3770k", "3770k", and "3770k review", our big article is no where to be found on the Google in the top 10 pages (I did find our submission to Digg with our articles name, as well as a forum thread from here). That despite our article being linked on the frontpage of Slashdot.org and being linked well from various other sites and social media.

Yet on Duckduckgo, we are ranked in the top 5 for all 3 keywords:
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=i7+3770k
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=3770k
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=3770k+review

One day Google is dumping buckets of traffic on us, the next day they black ball one of our articles. Go figure - no logic in it.

That's what happens when you let algorithms and formulas decide on stuff like that... It is the only practical way of doing it though as having people manually rank every page of every site would take the population of earth and then some.

That's what happens when you let algorithms and formulas decide on stuff like that... It is the only practical way of doing it though as having people manually rank every page of every site would take the population of earth and then some.

Google does their "Page Rank" updates every once in a while, the last update they goofed up .
http://searchengineland.com/dropped-in-rankings-google-mistake-over-parked-domains-118979
My blog lost some rank due to that. :(

It actually is a way that Google, Alexa, Bing, and other collect data from willing users though, and you all should already know. *big pause* Toolbars! Cookie tracking evil things they are,, they give the best data.
Problem with that though is the nightmare IE creates with toolbars....
ie_toolbars.jpg

With Chrome though toolbars are nothing. :rofl:

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2012-04-28 02:55:53.png
    Screenshot from 2012-04-28 02:55:53.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 118
And DuckDuckGo is using a formula too. We just happen to like what it decided about Overclockers more. :)

And DuckDuckGo is using a formula too. We just happen to like what it decided about Overclockers more. :)

I agree! :)

I can't really blame the update for my blog though, I hardly ever post on it and when they did their update I had some htaccess issues. No big deal.

Search engines are still in need of a lot evolution, with the web growing at the rate it is and ethics expected of engines it will be a long time if ever before they are perfect. There is still a lot of things that have not even been thought of yet though that may come into play though.

Well duckduckgo is not going big

Sorry Matt, it would be nice, they do everything right. Just there is a better reason to block all google cookies and keep using google.

Why?

5 laws of sentience.

Like google it wants to correct my spelling. instead of telling me, it just does it and "asks what Imean"/ No option at all for sentience, it only wants to give me grammar lessons.

Thats not the first thing, it is the last though. Not like I was using made up words before.

Besides that, anytime I cant find something on DDG, I go to google and what do I see, first link or maybe second. I have gotten very good at dialing down through all hte SEO crap over the years, so EVEN if I get a bunch of non-compliant results from advertisers playing the search engine games its pretty easy to shed them with a -keyword. Depends over the years, was -buy then -purchase - annual whatever works currently I have not hit them too often anymore since I have gotten good at dialing in my searches specifically

Real world queries help.

DDG does not work like that. they are the google of yesteryear but without hte groundbreaking search algorithim

If you want to stay private online these days, just stay off the ****ing internet. It is not only easier but the only true way. since your ISP tracks everything.

use other peoples computers/internet if you want to really be private. Just dont do it more than once ;)

borrow your neighbors wifi, if its WPA encoded it is their house phone number. 10 digits afterall ;)

Back