• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Razer Tiamat Elite 7.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

I just became interested in the Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headset, it looks like it's worth the wait since i dont think a real 7.1 experience can be duplicated by 2 speakers, My Sennheiser HD280's went back for RMA because honestly, they are terrible for what i need, which is sound stage replication, i want to know the helicopter is flying above me, not wonder why it sounds like it's beside me.

With that aside.. does this really need a 7.1 sound card even though it is USB? I assumed these types of headphones had a built-in sound processor, but looking at the website it states:

Requirements
•PC with built-in 3.5mm audio jacks & 1 USB port
•7.1 Surround Sound-enabled Sound Card (for 7.1 Mode)

So i spend $180 on a pair of head phones, and then another $180 for a 7.1 capable sound card, now multiply that by 2 because i wanted to get a set for my wife aswell.
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.242705100

If i require a 7.1 sound card then what are some recommendations?

10 discreet drivers! Interesting. I have the Logitech G35 and it is pretty damn sweet! It uses the software rendering for its 7.1 though. I would be curious to hear it working! I would also imagine it does require a 7.1 card to work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006

Seems like a great deal for a soundcard, but I haven never personally used it..

Yep, the 10 drivers in that headset is what really sold me, i am dying to hear it.

Quick question about that sound card, it's 7.1 and that is good, but first, there doesn't look like there is enough places to plug in the Razer Tiamat to this sound card, i was trying to find a sound card that had 7.1 dolby digital headphone certifcation, maybe it's all marketing but it has a symbol of headphone over the double D's.

This is the plug-in's it requires, i believe the USB is to power the drivers, the other's are for delivering the actual sound, i'm not going to pretend to know, just assuming.

Like this:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-headphone.html

but the sound cards i see with that logo are only advertising 5.1

eZHvM.jpg

Last edited:
This HT Omega
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271007

Has Dolby Digital, but it says 5.1 even though it's a 7.1 card... i don't understand this. I didn't really want to spend that much in a sound card, but i will consider it, if i absolutly have too. I'm looking for a sound card that actually puts out each channel, rather than an encoded 7.1 virtualization type thing, i guess. I honestly dont know what i'm looking for lol

EDIT: just did alittle research it's, 5 x 3.5mm jack, 1x USB for power

1x Center
1x Subwoofer
1x ???
1x ???
1x ???

USB: Power?

Last edited:
This HT Omega
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271007

Has Dolby Digital, but it says 5.1 even though it's a 7.1 card... i don't understand this. I didn't really want to spend that much in a sound card, but i will consider it, if i absolutly have too. I'm looking for a sound card that actually puts out each channel, rather than an encoded 7.1 virtualization type thing, i guess. I honestly dont know what i'm looking for lol

EDIT: just did alittle research it's, 5 x 3.5mm jack, 1x USB for power

1x Center
1x Subwoofer
1x ???
1x ???
1x ???

USB: Power?

With the tiamat you would use the 5 analog ports on the Claro II. That card is 7.1 for the analog side and 5.1 for the digital side. Since you'll be using the 3.5mm ports, you don't have to worry about the whole Dolby Headphone stuff, that's for virtualized surround on stereo headphones. You simply need a regular 5.1 card for the Tiamat (ie. speaker centric card instead of headphone centric cards). That Claro would be great for that purpose but you can probably find something a bit cheaper if the price is a concern for you.

O i thought there were already out, my bad

From what I was able to gather from various sources. They are technically out... but it's more of a paper launch really... Razer's production is rather slow and they only released 2 batches so far and they sold out within minutes.

From Razer's website

To everyone who has been waiting to purchase a Razer Tiamat headset:

We’re making the Razer Tiamats as fast as we can – unfortunately, due to the complexity of the design, it takes a significantly longer time to manufacture each unit. That much said, we’re doing whatever we can to catch up with demand and we are confident that supplies should be steady by late April/May though we may have shipments intermittently before then.

that was in March... http://cult.razerzone.com/2012/03/27/update-on-the-tiamat/

man is it that hard to make it!

I have the Tritton Ax pro and they are pretty awesome. Work with console+PC via optical 5.1 seems pretty good.

Only down side of Tiamat? Pc only i wish they had optical audio connection as well

man is it that hard to make it!

I have the Tritton Ax pro and they are pretty awesome. Work with console+PC via optical 5.1 seems pretty good.

Only down side of Tiamat? Pc only i wish they had optical audio connection as well

Well that's also their advantage. No delay due to decoding and you don't need a DolbyLive sound card to get full advantage of it, a regular soundcard, probably even onboard, would be enough.

Should be fine. By the way I had the first generation of Tritton headset for Pc/Xbox 360, the AX360 and boy did I regret that purchase... The optical wouldn't work properly with the PC (because of the previously mentionned lack of dolbylive) but it had the analog input, only problem was that the inputs' sensitivity was way too low and even with the sound at maximum, the headset would barely produce sound. I had to jury rig a 6 channel mini-amp (for 3x3.5mm connectors) to put between the sound card and the headphone. It was better but the sound was just awful. I gave up after 3 months of tweaking it. I tried another pair of 5.1 headset with similar disastrous results. (This time I think it was a turtlebeach headset, keep in mind that was back in 2007-2008)

That's about the same time I gave up on headphones/headsets (until recently).

dang! i had the regular Ax pro and just got the new 1.5v or something and never really had any issue. Can't seem to decide on a one tho, always want to try new ones lol

I really like the Logitech gaming headset g930, wireless being my fav feature but only pc!! and i tried the turtle beach wireless ones but i got tired of changing freaking AA batteries, last day and half!

I just want someone to come out with like ULTIMATE heatset lol

dang! i had the regular Ax pro and just got the new 1.5v or something and never really had any issue. Can't seem to decide on a one tho, always want to try new ones lol

I really like the Logitech gaming headset g930, wireless being my fav feature but only pc!! and i tried the turtle beach wireless ones but i got tired of changing freaking AA batteries, last day and half!

I just want someone to come out with like ULTIMATE heatset lol

Yuck... wireless. I had to give up on everything wireless. In my small house I had to setup 2 access points because I'd have half the signal strength as soon as I move more than 10 feet away from the emitter. D-Link only because the 7 linksys routers I tried (different models from different generations) would simply drop the wireless entirely or enter a never ending cycle of constant rebooting.

My ps3 and xbox360 controllers would only last about 2 hours on a full charge.
I tried replacing them (and for the xbox360, I tried AA batteries, 3 official battery pack, 2 third party battery pack) but after 2 weeks I'm always back down to 2 hours max so I end up playing wired.

Bluetooth headset and the xbox360 wireless headset, no battery, keep losing the signal and for the xbox headset, instead of sending a silence for the microphone, it instead sent a very loud noise so I usually ended up kicked out of the game, muted or everybody left.

I also tried wireless mice and that was kinda funny. I borrowed a friend's mouse during a LAN. Awful awful lag, and I somehow drained the batteries. He charged them the morning and he usually lasted more than a week with a full charge. I drained it in 1 hour.

You get the point... Wireless = useless. Haha

I recently got my Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset. So far I am incredibly disappointed. I had really high hopes for it but it doesn't seem worth the price tag at all. First off I immediately noticed that a lot of the audio sounded muffled and lacking any real bass. I was comparing this to my Logitech G35s which I was hoping the Tiamat would replace. Plus listening to music on them on basically not worth it. The 2.0 mode sounds terrible. Testing the 7.1 out on several games I came to this conclusion, the 7.1 works great, you can tell if someone is sneaking up on you. But the rear channel in particular sounds really muffled. I don't know if this particular headset is faulty or what, but I don't like how it sounds at all. Plus on top of that, the microphone quality is absolute rubbish. It barely picks you up unless you boost the pickup level by 30dB. And even then it sounds like an Xbox Live microphone. The G35s blow this thing out of the water so far.

The headset was really comfortable though, those memory foam ear pads were heaven. I'm troubleshooting with Razer to see if I have a faulty headset or not but I most like am getting a refund.

Sorry for the wall of text but I will try to keep you guys updated on it. Feel free to ask any questions.

I recently had a chance to try the Tiamat 7.1 headset at our local Fry's. I must say that although the sound was pretty awesome, I didn't notice a big difference from the set I already own (the G930) which could very well be the best wireless gaming headset on the market in my opinion.

With that said, my favorite wired headset has been the sennheiser 360. My buddy just got that set and I've heard nothing like it before.

I recently had a chance to try the Tiamat 7.1 headset at our local Fry's. I must say that although the sound was pretty awesome, I didn't notice a big difference from the set I already own (the G930) which could very well be the best wireless gaming headset on the market in my opinion.

With that said, my favorite wired headset has been the sennheiser 360. My buddy just got that set and I've heard nothing like it before.

Thank you for the info. I was wondering how they compared to my Sennheiser 360 and was hoping I wouldn't regret buying them. Sounds (pun intended) like the tiamat aren't that great.

Back