• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low voltage 1600 vs Normal voltage 1866

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

I'm in the process of switching out some parts. Gigabyte sending me replacement video card, and just realized I am getting my work bonus in a week so I figured I'd join the bulldozer bandwagon...Why? Because my wife hates when I buy PC parts, that is why.
Now, to the real question. So far I am getting the Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 mobo and FX8120 cpu, I am stuck on the ram, I am looking between the exact same set of G.SKill sniper series one is 1.2v 1600 and the other is 1.5v 1866. I've been reading the reviews on newegg and found that some people say buy the 1.2 volt and clock it up to 1866 @ 1.35v(what some are reporting) and some are saying buy the 1866. The low voltage ram is cheaper by 10 bux. Reviews on both memories are rather positive although some are reporting issues on that specific motherboard with the 1866 set, but lets be honest most peoples issues are id 10 t errors.

I'd go with 1600 for a daily driver, the 1866 isn't going to be a noticeable difference outside of benchmarks and the 1600 is cheaper. You could mess with clocking it up, but unless you are benchmarking there is no point IMO.

Back