• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom PSU Cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is the same one that I use. Are you using the smaller or larger crimper on it?

Can you show how far you are pushing the wire in? There are two sets of tabs, one for the insulation and one for the conductor itself. If you strip too much off, it could easily slip out.

i'm using the 18-22 AWG pin crimper. the crimps look good, they just don't hold.

It should look exactly like this:

I strip just enough for the second set of tabs to grab the conductor.
atx_pin_1.JPG

I used the 18-22 AWG portion, just like you. I can yank on this as hard as I want and it will not come out.
atx_pin_2.JPG

Are you clamping hard down? I put as much force into it as I can.

that's what i've been doing, but apparently im going wrong somewhere. i will try again.

i'm thinking that it may not be crimping down enough. as seen here, what does the adjustinng disc do? could that help my problem :shrug:?

That is a good question, I've never changed mine. I can get you a picture of how mine is setup and how it looks when I get home. If I forget, shoot me a PM later tonight.

I somehow didn't forget! The ends of the crimper are completely together while locked in the picture.

crimper.JPG

I don't get it.. That's the exact setting and the exact way mine looks. I'll upload photos once I get home.

this is what the crimp looks like. notice how the wire crimp isn't dead center, it is off center. do you guys think that i need to get with performance-pcs to send me a new one? :shrug: it should work out of the box with no problems at all!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 1,167
That does not look like it is crimping properly at all. Link them to this thread so they have the pictures and our discussion.

John

Never once have we had a return on these and we have literally sold almost 5000. We are not sure how we can help you to crimp via email so maybe either call in Monday and talk to Mary our lead sleever and tech.

321-725-9969

Other then that, if you want to send the tool back we will check it over and test it but it is highly unlikely it is defective.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

that's the feedback I get from performance-pcs. so apparently I'm doing it wrong is basically what I got out of that. apparently their products are too superior to ever be DOA. maybe I can live stream me trying to crimp a pin. would you be willing to help walk me through one? :shrug:

I'm not really sure how to walk you through it. There isn't much to do. :confused:

I'm not really sure how to walk you through it. There isn't much to do. :confused:

That's what I said to performance-pcs :). I'm not stupid ya know.. I know how to crimp, the tool just doesn't do its job properly. It's beyond me.

Where did you get your pins? If mouser, link the exact ones you purchased. You may have the wrong ones.

If we can take pictures of the tools we are using (since they are supposedly the same) and examples of the works they produce, it should help strengthen your case. I've got a picture (above) of the pin before/after installation on a wire. I can get a picture just like it that is crimped without a wire. If there are differences, (which I suspect there are) then they should replace yours. If they want us to prove it empirically instead of providing great customer service, then whatever -- their loss.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning. Since they say I'm doing it wrong :). I can say that their customer service/ care has been terrible!

I still can't get their crimping tool to work. I sent it back to their RMA department and they said it worked fine. May I get some photos (step by step) because every crimp slides off of the wire with ease.

I seriously doubt you are doing something wrong. Where did you get your pins?

I seriously doubt you are doing something wrong. Where did you get your pins?

Performance-PCs as well. they said they tested it, but I call bull! I don't have a happy experience with Performance-PCs

Hmm, this still doesn't make sense. I'm trying to think of how to get pictures. I can't press the button if I'm holding the parts. :-/

The only remaining thing I can think of is that you are using too small gauge wire or you aren't clamping hard enough.

Back