• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wait for GPU upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alphamale

Registered
Planning to WC my current build. Not for high OC, just to do it. I want my GPU in the loop, but current GPU isn't reference, so waiting to upgrade and get block for it then. However, all this reading has me itching to BUILD IT NOW. Should I wait till I upgrade the GPU and then do CPU/GPU together, or would it be basically a "6 month cleaning" in hassle factor to add the GPU/Rad#2 later?

Pretty standard...

HAF 932 Advanced, i5-2500k/4.0, 680/7870(Eventually). Plan is 360 Rad up top, 120.1 bottom.

Parts...

Koolance RP-401X2(Hides away, pumps integrated)

Koolance PMP-400(Fits Reservoir)

PrimoFlex Pro LRT Black Tubing -3/8in (Based on Cathar's epic post)

Phobya G-Changer 360mm Ver. 1.2(http://skinneelabs.com)

Phobya G-Changer 120mm Ver. 1.2(http://skinneelabs.com/)

Koolance CPU-370SI (CPU), Intel( Not finding much on this one, seems straight forward.)

All compression fittings.

You can do a number of things. You can wait till IB comes out and buy a SB at a lower price or buy an IB with a GTX 680 (GK104) or wait for the GK110 which will be the true high end of Kepler. More wattage/heat I hear. Choices choices......I don't know if I should save up for a CPU/MB/RAM or just go GPU and add it to my loop in my i7-950. But truely the best bet no matter which route you take I'd wait a month or a few to see your options as prices soon will fall I believe for some ie. Intel/Nvida. You can say Iam a fanboy of the two :D

Me?

PMP400 is cheaper at other places. Do your best to get away from Koolance website.

Same with the block. There is better. maybe cheaper. Are you EU? Don't think so.

Total raddage looks okay, but the Phyoba brand is big in the EU, not so much in the US.

Not sure, but unless noise is a silly concern, and the cost of a full covreage GPU block, wait for the 680 block, which is already out from two places, if not 3 by now.

Since your new, and no idea on your past WC experiance, you might want to hang out, read our input from our stickies, and get a bit more info.

We got posts that talk about lots of things. Just read lots more, and maybe this link to external links will help. Use our stickies, peruse lots of older posts. Don't expect it to happen overnight.

Me? Look at my sig. I'm waiting for ivy and the Nvidia G100 chip. Maybe I can drop watercooling completly.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Me?

PMP400 is cheaper at other places. Do your best to get away from Koolance website.

Same with the block. There is better. maybe cheaper. Are you EU? Don't think so.

Total raddage looks okay, but the Phyoba brand is big in the EU, not so much in the US.

Not sure, but unless noise is a silly concern, and the cost of a full covreage GPU block, wait for the 680 block, which is already out from two places, if not 3 by now.

Since your new, and no idea on your past WC experiance, you might want to hang out, read our input from our stickies, and get a bit more info.

We got posts that talk about lots of things. Just read lots more, and maybe this link to external links will help. Use our stickies, peruse lots of older posts. Don't expect it to happen overnight.

Me? Look at my sig. I'm waiting for ivy and the Nvidia G100 chip. Maybe I can drop watercooling completly.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

All parts from performance-pcs.com, mentioned in the sticky. Haven't been to Koolance site.

Koolance blocks are also mentioned in the sticky, the 370 specifically, but I should stay away them?

Skinnee.com is also mentioned for their quality reviews in the sticky, they highly recommend the Phyoba, but you say stay away?

In any case, my reading answered my questions on parts, before I posted this. I only posted them to give a better picture regarding the question I did ask, hassle factor of adding Rad later.

He was saying that the rad is a bit more difficult to find in the US (competitively priced that is)

I'm kinda having the same 'problem' as you.
I currently have a single 6970, but am running a triple-monitor eyefinity setup.
I really want to upgrade to a 7970, but don't have the money for that and a WB.
But, I don't think it's really worth buying a $100 block for my 6970 when it isn't enough....

Back