• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Suggestions for AMD FX-8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mini borads lose a lot and gain little. A lot of time you will get things like vga input but real lack of sli/crossfire compatable etc. Yes they say it but the cards you will put in it take up too much room. The 2500k is a great proc with tons of happy people. Any X4 PII is not worth 200 imo. 125 sure. If you going with the 2500k little tip get a after mark cooler. Nothing fancy 212+ is more then enough. Even with no oc it is much quiter. You wont be unhappy with the i5. But you might be with a mini mobo.

Viper this can go on for a long time lol. Because people want to sell you the best. But really you need to think about what you want from your computer and want you really want. Don't get 8 cores when you really only need 4 etc. If your going to play mainly games with it like I do with mine 4 is all you need. Most games don't even take good advantage of two core none the less 4,6 or 8. I only bought this computer because my wife said" Fine build your computer just don't tell me the cost". But I did not go crazy with any one thing. What I did was I went to newegg build my dream computer about 3k not counting WC. Then a cheap upgrade with amd and intel. Then compared and meet in the middle. It is a lot of work and we are all here to help but sometimes we get into little argument over this and that, and get lost in what really matters. What you need/want.

Haha...I know. I've been here at this forum for many years. I know the "danger" of asking people for input haha. Separating out bias, discerning what you "need" vs what you "want" based on true needs (gaming haha).

I actually agree that a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb would be fine.

The other part of me, likes to build with a little "future proofing" however. So I think that's why I'm heading down the Intel 2500k route w/the z77 board, so IF I want an Ivy Bridge CPU I can drop it in at some point in the future.

Too many choices! hahah

Mini borads lose a lot and gain little. A lot of time you will get things like vga input but real lack of sli/crossfire compatable etc. Yes they say it but the cards you will put in it take up too much room. The 2500k is a great proc with tons of happy people. Any X4 PII is not worth 200 imo. 125 sure. If you going with the 2500k little tip get a after mark cooler. Nothing fancy 212+ is more then enough. Even with no oc it is much quiter. You wont be unhappy with the i5. But you might be with a mini mobo.

I was thinking the same thing as I watched a youtube video assembling a mITX. The board is SMALL, but the components are MASSIVE.

No the X4 PII isn't worth $200 either. It's only that high because of supply/demand. It's a great chip. I did come across this PII X4 for 120.00 965 Black Edition Deneb

There really is a ton of options. But I believe there is not one person that say man I wish I got something other then this i5. I only got the i7 because... I could lol. Did I need it no I5 would have been enough but I built this computer because I know my wife would not let me buy anything else for least a year. But remember this your mobo is the biggest choice you make. IB is not going to be ready or really ready for a little while. With all the heat wall issues I hear. Why I bit the bullet and got my SB. I am very happy with my Intel. This coming from an AMD fanboy lol

There really is a ton of options. But I believe there is not one person that say man I wish I got something other then this i5. I only got the i7 because... I could lol. Did I need it no I5 would have been enough but I built this computer because I know my wife would not let me buy anything else for least a year. But remember this your mobo is the biggest choice you make. IB is not going to be ready or really ready for a little while. With all the heat wall issues I hear. Why I bit the bullet and got my SB. I am very happy with my Intel. This coming from an AMD fanboy lol

These are the three z77 i5 mATX mobo's I have it narrowed it down:

Of course things could change in terms of prices, meaning my budget. I could get an i7, but I don't need it. This is where I'm starting.

ASrock

Gigabyte

Asus Gene 5

Phenom II X4 965 BE are currently smth like $125 on newegg right now. As far as Intel platforms and futureproofing go though, lately Intel has been switching a socket every year or two.

P67 and Z68 motherboards also run sli and crossfire. Most will support ivy with a bios update, short of crazy ram clocks new boards will be able to do with the new CPUs. If you go with a 2500k too, you won't be upgrading to ivy, I assure you. More like haswell, which I'm sure will be a whole new chipset AND socket.

Sorry..somehow I missed that one. So getting a z77 mobo may be a waste of money then? Hmmm.....

Yah I found the Phenom II X4 965BE on Newegg. I'm pricing a 2500k mATX system.

I'm going to price out EDIT: the following AMD systems with mATX mobos, assuming I'm not sacrificing a lot.

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor here> FX-4100

X6 Thuban Deneb set up...Wiz said it's better than a 965BE

PII X4 965BE just to be complete.

Last edited:
Sorry..somehow I missed that one. So getting a z77 mobo may be a waste of money then? Hmmm.....

I'm going to price out EDIT: the following AMD systems with mATX mobos, assuming I'm not sacrificing a lot.

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor here> FX-4100

Skip all BD please. lol The 4100 will never out do say any x4 pII and the cost is about the same.

Okay, you seem a little confused.

Yes Z77 might be a a waste of money.

Phenom II X4 965BE > FX-4100 Quad-Core
"X6 Thuban Deneb" - uhh, Thuban is the code name for Phenom II X6, Deneb code name for Phenom II X4.

If you really want to stay AMD, 965BE isn't a bad choice. Most late ones overclock well on air/water. The only FX CPU even worth mentioning is the eight-core FX-8120, forget the 4 and 6 core variants.

It was a typo.

I have like 5-8 windows open when I get writing and receiving a lot of info from you guys. I was "lost".:D

Anyone know how to use the multiquote feature on the forum, can't figure it out.

It was a typo.

I have like 5-8 windows open when I get writing and receiving a lot of info from you guys. I was "lost".:D

Anyone know how to use the multiquote feature on the forum, can't figure it out.
Okay :)

Press the QUOTE + button on any posts you want to quote, then the last post in line you want to quote just press the normal quote button. All of the quotes you chose will appear in succession. :)

Okay, you seem a little confused.

Yes Z77 might be a a waste of money.

Phenom II X4 965BE > FX-4100 Quad-Core
"X6 Thuban Deneb" - uhh, Thuban is the code name for Phenom II X6, Deneb code name for Phenom II X4.

If you really want to stay AMD, 965BE isn't a bad choice. Most late ones overclock well on air/water. The only FX CPU even worth mentioning is the eight-core FX-8120, forget the 4 and 6 core variants.

Skip all BD please. lol The 4100 will never out do say any x4 pII and the cost is about the same.

Okay :)

Press the QUOTE + button on any posts you want to quote, then the last post in line you want to quote just press the normal quote button. All of the quotes you chose will appear in succession. :)

AHHHhh....I was always hitting the multiquote button for all the posts.:bang head:bang head:bang head Nothing ever popped up :confused:

Thanks so MUCHHHHHHHH :D:D:D

Back