• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Suggestions for AMD FX-8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I think I'm leaning in getting this AMD CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

I'd like a feature rich Mobo, it doesn't need to be the most expensive mind you, or considered the 'best'.

But I'd like one that is flexible, will last a few years at least, as I don't upgrade too often.

I'd prefer a mATX, but I'm told the only mATX board which supports FX is one with a 880 chipset w/out VRM heatsink. This one here ASUS mATX

Any opinions/suggestions?

People will always fight about this but I have had great luck with gigabyte for amd's I run
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ with my pII. I hear the ud5 is better for oc'in but I can't complain about this one. GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ And this one with my wifes 8150. works great her's is only ocd though. I have nothing against asus just never used with amd.

I have run the Gigabyte 990Xa-UD3, Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3, and Asus 990FX sabertooth in my rig all 3 were rock solid performers. I had a few issues with my sabertooth(one involved waterblock sizing) and elected to change it out for the 990FXa-UD3 I have now.

I also used an Asrock 970 Extreme 3 for a friends build and its similarly solid. Really anything 9xx series with 8 phase power distribution is what you want.

Asus and Gigabyte boards would be my choices. Other brands have been hit and miss in quality for me but those two always treat me right. I just used a 990Xa-UD3 for a BD build for someone and so far so good and the price was pretty decent.

I have run the Gigabyte 990Xa-UD3, Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3, and Asus 990FX sabertooth in my rig all 3 were rock solid performers. I had a few issues with my sabertooth(one involved waterblock sizing) and elected to change it out for the 990FXa-UD3 I have now.

I also used an Asrock 970 Extreme 3 for a friends build and its similarly solid. Really anything 9xx series with 8 phase power distribution is what you want.

What's the difference between mobo's that have the letter F in them and those that don't. ASUS has the same naming convention too. I looked on Asus's website and I couldn't figure out the difference, ie what'd I'd be missing/getting?

I have nothing against any manufacturer either. I almost had an MSI, but my friend gave me this Asus (a more feature rich board at the time) I have now, it's been rock solid. I have heard equally good things about Gigabyte too.

I was curious about the Sabretooth, but I don't know anything about it.

The 990X chipset is the budget SLI chip. It gives you 2 8x slots. The 990FX chipset is AMDs flagship with 40 PCI-E lanes and SLI certification.

The 970 chipset is not SLI certified use of SLI would require workarounds... It is however crossfire capable.

Ah, I see...thanks! I'd rather get a board w/an F then, because I don't know what vid card I'm going to get yet. I may get what we talked about before. I may drop down one card level too. I have to post in the vid card forum, if I haven't already for suggestions.

How do you like the Asus compared to the Gigabyte boards (9xx series). I've never heard of Asrock myself, so I'm a bit cautious.

I would strongly advise the Asus Sabertooth. I have it, and it's somehow survived me putting 1.5 volts through my 8120.

Asus Sabertooth is a bit more money though, but none the less I hear good things about it. 1.5v is not too bad granted I would not 1.5 for a 24/7. I have done the same with my wifes 8100.

Asus Sabertooth is a bit more money though, but none the less I hear good things about it. 1.5v is not too bad granted I would not 1.5 for a 24/7. I have done the same with my wifes 8100.

How do you like your intel 520 SSD, I was thinking of getting the Cherryville at 120gig.

It really is the best ssd out there. These is the third SSD I have bought and without a doubt the best. I did a little homework before I bought this one since it was for my own build. Speeds are not as good as they say(never are). But it is more then fast enough.

It really is the best ssd out there. These is the third SSD I have bought and without a doubt the best. I did a little homework before I bought this one since it was for my own build. Speeds are not as good as they say(never are). But it is more then fast enough.

Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind is that the difference in performance with 2x cards in 8x slots vs 2x cards in 26x slots is very very minimal. It's up to you however you can save some money by just going with the 990X, which is probably the way I'd go.

Agreed. Intel SSD's are the best out there, the only downside tends to be price otherwise no one would run anything else..... Same argument for CPU's too I think.....

One thing to keep in mind is that the difference in performance with 2x cards in 8x slots vs 2x cards in 26x slots is very very minimal. It's up to you however you can save some money by just going with the 990X, which is probably the way I'd go.

Agreed. Intel SSD's are the best out there, the only downside tends to be price otherwise no one would run anything else..... Same argument for CPU's too I think.....

Hehe This is trueish. There can be a lot said and little battles about it. For me its the controller that really plays a big part in ssd's for me. All about sandforce Which was my main reason.

D'oh, I just noticed my typo when you quoted me :facepalm:

It should have read 16X rather than 26x, but I'm guessing everyone picked up on that....

Don't feel bad I read it as 16 and had no idea it said 26. :p I type so fast at times and reread so fast, my types are high on the list. Which is why you see edit: a lot lol!

Lol, you know I'm pretty sure I edit 3 out of 4 posts. I always either see a typo, or I think of more that I want to include in the post. So long as nobody has replied yet I feel free to edit till my hearts content. ;)

Lol, you know I'm pretty sure I edit 3 out of 4 posts. I always either see a typo, or I think of more that I want to include in the post. So long as nobody has replied yet I feel free to edit till my hearts content. ;)

I read it as 26, and thought WTF???? hahahah 16, makes more sense now.

Yeah, Sanforce controller rocks from what I read in reviews.

Still debating on what CPU to get after reading in another post..crap..someone suggested the 1090T Phenom Thurban.

Someone else a core i5....how come not a core i7 ???

Back