• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What driver package did you download?? That seems very odd, you got the complete package not the detect and install version right?

Try the 12.1.

I went into issues with ALL the releases, from 12.2 to 12.4 Beta.

EDIT:
a weird issue occurred to me once, not that long ago ( a couple of months), and symptoms where very similar to yours.
About 10/20 secs after getting into Windows, I had a driver error, and a black screen. I thought on of my cards was dead, and was about to bake it. Than I had a sparkle of intelligence (happens sometimes :D), flashing the vBios with ATI flash, and it fixed the issue. The Vbios was somehow corrupted.

Last edited:
12.3 is not the problem as I'm using the same version on dual 6870's....

I bet your problem is your over clock... 5GHz is not exactly a light over clock. Return your system to defaults and see if it is still doing it. You may need more VCCIO voltage.

My 5GHz is just on the multiplier, I'm running a stock BCLK/PCIE. Even if that was the case my old 6870 won't work alone ever since I was able to crossfire for an hour.

Could you elaborate on ATI flash for me?

My 5GHz is just on the multiplier, I'm running a stock BCLK/PCIE. Even if that was the case my old 6870 won't work alone ever since I was able to crossfire for an hour.

Could you elaborate on ATI flash for me?

I understand that, but that doesn't mean you still don’t need a voltage adjustment. To rule out the overclock you should return to defaults and try again. Also in one of your above posts, it is normal for you to have to reinstall the driver when changing the video cards like you did. Also, it is not necessary to use driver sweeper to remove the ATI drivers, the uninstall feature of the program does this job well enough on its own. If you wanted to run the other program, I would do it after the normal uninstall only.

Flashing your video card's BIOS is not the answer here... Your problem is most likely linked to your overclock settings i.e. VCCIO voltage or a PSU problem. It also could be that you pushed your original card too hard with the voltages and clocks and changing the configuration finished it off (not sure how but there is a correlation and you were overvolting the card before).

Tried with all bios settings to default. Then with all on default except with extra VCCIO voltage. Then I tried both cards in either slot, and I even unplugged everything except for my bare bones, SSD and water pump.

Still having the black screen after login. It just seems so weird that my old card would crap out after only an hour of crossfire. I reset all my clocks, and voltages back to stock before I installed the new card and tried crossfire.

I just give up... I work 50 hours a week, and I've devoted the past 6 days to this crossfire issue. Get up go to work, get home at 6:00pm stay up to midnight messing with my system every night for the past 6 days. I'll just buy a GTX 680 next week if I can find one.

Edit: I've even got a sound issue to fix now because of this crossfire crap. I randomly lost sound while trying to get these two cards going... Haven't been able to get it back.

Flashing your video card's BIOS is not the answer here...

Surprisingly, it's how I fixed the exact same issue with one of my 5830's. Don't you think it's worth a 15mn try?

EDIT:
- find your card vbios in the Techpower up database: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/
- download atiflash: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2099/mirrors.php
- how to create a dos boot thumb drive and how to use AtiFlash: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57750

Tried with all bios settings to default. Then with all on default except with extra VCCIO voltage. Then I tried both cards in either slot, and I even unplugged everything except for my bare bones, SSD and water pump.

Still having the black screen after login. It just seems so weird that my old card would crap out after only an hour of crossfire. I reset all my clocks, and voltages back to stock before I installed the new card and tried crossfire.

I just give up... I work 50 hours a week, and I've devoted the past 6 days to this crossfire issue. Get up go to work, get home at 6:00pm stay up to midnight messing with my system every night for the past 6 days. I'll just buy a GTX 680 next week if I can find one.

Edit: I've even got a sound issue to fix now because of this crossfire crap. I randomly lost sound while trying to get these two cards going... Haven't been able to get it back.

I know exactly how you feel, I recently had a couple bad mainboards that caused me all kinds of trouble for weeks on end till I got it all sorted out. Don't give up on getting this rig working...

Unfortunately because this issue has become a little more difficult than we initally anticipated we are going to have to start back at zero. Whenever I have a mind boggling issue I start with the basics... Turn the system off, pull the power plug and remove the CMOS battery for 30seconds. Then I would build your system on a cardboard box to eliminate the possibility of shorts (i know youre going to say it was working before but trust me, its a good place to start). You will want to start with BIOS defaults and see if you can boot or not. If you can't boot try reinstalling the Operating system... its possible with all your driver changes and the sweeper program messing with the registry and .NET framework your OS is screwed up. Try these first before replacing anything. You can also try the video card in someone else's system. You can try to flash the video cards to the same BIOS revision but I dont think this is going to help you.

Back