• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Return both cards to stock settings and test them out individually. Do a fresh install of the ATI CCC drivers for each test. Run the single cards in both slots on 3DMark11 and see what happens. If both cards work in both slots put both of them back in and enable crossfire again and test again. If that works as well, then I'd say your overclock was the problem.

I have had them at stock clocks. I'll have to try another fresh install of CCC when I get off work. I'd really like to know why I got a BSOD on my last install.

Edit: Just got done with a whole new fresh install of windows and I kind of still have the same problem. I can actually login now. Although, as soon as I open something I get a black screen, but the monitor stays awake.

Last edited:
You need to test the cards out separately in both slots.

List out your hardware and the settings you are running please. Especially your power supply.

You need to test the cards out separately in both slots.

List out your hardware and the settings you are running please. Especially your power supply.

Already tried different cards in different slots. Any time I make a change like that, I get a driver error as soon as I load my desktop. Then I get an alert to restart my computer, after I restart it's fine. It's just when I run both of them together.

All my hardware is in my signature, I'm not sure what happened to it in my last post.

Edit: Also tried a another bridge last night... Nothing.

Last edited:
Ok, after even more swapping and moving, and testing. I think the problem seeds from my old card. I searched the card over for broken/burnt solder joints, I even took the cooler back off of it to search under there. I have no dang idea why my old card would be the one giving me problems. It has ran fine for a over a year, and it even worked fine for the first hour of crossfire.

Getting some more people in this particular thread would be nice.

I just tried the card in another system, everything was good until I installed CCC. After I installed the drivers I am able to sit in bios all day, but as soon as windows loads I get a black screen with my screen still awake.

Did you do a 100% clean install using Driver Sweeper?

A lot of times the simplest things can cause instability, I suggest sweeping all video related drivers(safe mode) and reinstalling latest drivers(safe mode).

I had a similar issue and a clean install fixed everything :D

Alright, I uninstalled my drivers via driver sweeper. That caused my next CCC installation to have an error. Did that twice in a row. Then I uninstalled CCC via control panel & drive sweeper... In that order. Also removed Net framework, and all my Microsoft visual packs, and reinstalled CCC. Installation went without a hitch, rebooted... "Starting Windows" froze. So I did a hard reset, and it loaded into windows fine after that. About 15 sec after being in my desktop I got these errors.

driverissue.png

driverissue2.png

Edit: You asked about a clean driver install... I did a whole fresh win7 install a day or two ago, just trying to resolve this issue.

Clean the drivers? Install them? Or both?

Both. It's best to install them in safe mode otherwise windows will try to install the drivers itself which is what gives you the errors you see.

You should repeat the process.

-Boot safe mode
-sweep all video drivers
-restart
-boot into safe mode(make sure you have latest drivers downloaded)
-install new drivers
-boot normally

Hopefully that works

I am unable to figure out how to get into safe mode with this new motherboard. F8, or F12 didn't work. I didn't see anything in the manual or bios that was relevant either.

I am unable to figure out how to get into safe mode with this new motherboard. F8, or F12 didn't work. I didn't see anything in the manual or bios that was relevant either.

I'm pretty sure it's F8, right after you see the mobo splash screen tap F8 repeatedly.

F8 just gives me my boot menu. There isn't anything on my splash screen telling me my different options either.

Edit: Never mind, I found it in my manual. It was in a freaking footnote with tiny print. It's F5 for my board.

lol F5 really? Never heard of that before...

Yeah it's really F5... Still didn't work for me though. I had to enter safe mode via changing my settings in msconfig. Although, once I was in safe mode. I was unable to uninstall my drivers. It said "The windows installer service is unavailable in safe mode."

Yeah it's really F5... Still didn't work for me though. I had to enter safe mode via changing my settings in msconfig. Although, once I was in safe mode. I was unable to uninstall my drivers. It said "The windows installer service is unavailable in safe mode."

Don't uninstall them using the .exe simply wipe them using DriverSweeper.

I get an error after uninstalling my driver with driver sweeper and then trying to reinstall it. (in safe mode) During the CCC installation, I get a "Failed to load detection driver" error that aborts the installation.

Back