• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerBarlow

Registered
OK, to start out, this is my first post in this forum, I've been building my own and friends computers (PC and Laptops) as well as a little programming for over 10 years now.

I just got back from Afghanistan and put together a new rig, It powers up and shuts down about 3-5 times every time I attempt to turn it on, When it does turn on and work, it works great, but 90% of the time it powers on multiple times and the mobo lights up an error light indicating there is a graphics card error (the graphics card is new as is this entire system), Other times it tells me a boot device has an error.

When I try to enter the bios it freezes, some time when I can enter the bios it will shut down when I try to change anything to do with overclocking, so as of yet it is still running stock.

Rig:
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3
Processor: i5 2550K 3.4ghz
Graphics: Asus GeForce 560 Ti
Memory: 16gigs Corsair Dominator
SSD: 120Gig Corsair Force GT
HDD: 2TB WD
Water Cooling: Corsair H80
PSU: Corsair TX750

At this point I'm thinking it isn't an error, It's a bad Mother Board... What's your thoughts. I've completely broken the rig down and rebuilt it to make sure everything was connected right, looked through the manuals, nothing seems to help.

Last edited:
Check to make sure Internal PLL Over-Voltage is set to Disabled in the BIOS. Also make sure you have the latest BIOS revision installed, and you may also need to enable the Power on by PCIe function under the Advanced tab--> APM.

Check to make sure Internal PLL Over-Voltage is set to Disabled in the BIOS. Also make sure you have the latest BIOS revision installed, and you may also need to enable the Power on by PCIe function under the Advanced tab--> APM.
i didn't have to do any of that.

i did update to the newest bios that was available when i got the board near the end of feb.

i have the same cpu as him..

try and update to the newest bios if you can.

Just updated, same problem, Boots up multiple times, I'd say a little better on the odds of booting though, maybe a 50% chance now vs 90% chance of failure that it was.

... So I overclocked it to 4.5 and it starts every single time with no problems ...

same issues here

... So I overclocked it to 4.5 and it starts every single time with no problems ...

RangerBarlow, sorry I'm kind of a newb to this stuff but I'm having the same issue and I am unable to figure out where in the BIOS I can go about overclocking the card. I have a gtx 460.

On another note I tried a old Radeon HD 2600 I borrow from an old machine at work and it works fine in the machine and my card works fine in that machine, just not mine...

Thanks for your help!

In options, you may need to enable your PCI slot that the card is in. The mobo will let you know where everything is, I think its under the boot options.

Ok, thanks! If I can get into windows long enough to do that without it hanging I will give it a try! Oh and that was the voltage you set to 4.5 correct?

Edit: So I'm running pretty stable right now. What I did is turn off the TPU and EPU switches on the board, set PCIe as the default video in the BIOS, and set Internal PLL Over-Voltage to Disabled. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Ok, thanks! If I can get into windows long enough to do that without it hanging I will give it a try! Oh and that was the voltage you set to 4.5 correct?

Edit: So I'm running pretty stable right now. What I did is turn off the TPU and EPU switches on the board, set PCIe as the default video in the BIOS, and set Internal PLL Over-Voltage to Disabled. Fingers crossed!

Yeah so that didn't work...It's a little more stable than before but is still hanging and when it does run stable enough for me to get into a game it just shuts down and restarts. Most of the time it hangs right as I get into Windows if that's any indication. I used to really like ASUS but this has been hellish.

Hmm, so the problem is that you over clocked and now it hangs on start up or is it that your card isnt being noticed? If your over clocked and it is hanging, I cant remember what its called right now but its on the bios screen next to the multiplier, mine was at default at 102.00 it needs to be set at 100 and if it is and you are overclocking and freezing, just up your volts a little, say its 1.33 just go to 1.34 and try again.

Hmm, so the problem is that you over clocked and now it hangs on start up or is it that your card isnt being noticed? If your over clocked and it is hanging, I cant remember what its called right now but its on the bios screen next to the multiplier, mine was at default at 102.00 it needs to be set at 100 and if it is and you are overclocking and freezing, just up your volts a little, say its 1.33 just go to 1.34 and try again.

I'm not overclocking the card right now just did the BIOS change I mentioned (PLL voltage) and flipped the TPU and EPU switches off on the board. The card is noticed fine but either hangs randomly, (during start-up or otherwise) or just restarts when I try to start up a game.

I'll try and find the BIOS setting you are talking about and try that when I get home. Did it have something to do with GPU? Edit: I think I found it, was it "BCLK/PCIE Frequency"? Here's a SS. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/z68_motherboard_roundup/images/156.htm

P.S. I have and EVGA 460 GTX so the Afterburner wouldn't work for me. This is the tool I'm using: http://www.evga.com/precision/

Last edited:
Yes that is the option, if it is your GPU and it is detected in bios and enabled, then is your drivers up to date with nvidia and windows updates?

Yes that is the option, if it is your GPU and it is detected in bios and enabled, then is your drivers up to date with nvidia and windows updates?

That options was already set to 100. But I think the real issue is that it looks like I may have overestimated my power supply...I only have a 600W power supply and that is probably the cause of all my problems. I'm going to order a new one and I will post once I have tried it all out. Thanks for your help RangerBarlow!

No problem, I never go below a 750 even though most GPU say they will work with just 550. Please let me know if it works out, if not we can keep trouble shooting.

No problem, I never go below a 750 even though most GPU say they will work with just 550. Please let me know if it works out, if not we can keep trouble shooting.

Will do! Yeah from what I've read 600W seems like it should be plenty but all signs point to it being a PSU issue at this point I think. Thanks again!

Will do! Yeah from what I've read 600W seems like it should be plenty but all signs point to it being a PSU issue at this point I think. Thanks again!

So I was able to connect the 12v PCIe from another 750W psu over to my video card and run it and I had the same issues. I would have just swapped out the psu but it's a Dell and all the cables are run under the mobo and it's not my machine. So I'm guessing it's not the power supply since my graphics card worked fine in that Dell machine when I tested before...

Then that wouldn't be the problem... Hmm
So tell me what it does, you turn it on, it boots up into windows, when you play a game does the card stop working and doesnt work again til you reboot?
what Nvidia driver are you using?
I know with the newest driver my card will stop working but fix itself within a second or two but it only does it when I overclock my card too much.
It sounds like you need to just update windows and your Nvidia driver, he other car works and your card works on another computer, the problem is your computer. I would say it wont support your card til it gets an update, I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and it booted the card the first time so i could update.
Or maybe do you atleast have the disc that came with the card?

Back