• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cablemodem and hub

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I'm using my cablemodem w/ a hub. Will this decrease my performance any? I'm not currently sharing it w/ the other computer (you read: to f*cking lazy to run the cable to the basement yet).

Last edited:
Since your not sharing it with any other systems, the performance won't take any hits, but, using just a hub will leave your system wide open on the net, i'd definetly use some sort of software firewall solution.....:D

I don't use a firewall anyways, and all my sister will be doing w/ the other computer is stuff like email and ICQ, so that won't suck up bandwidth.

Chances are you're never really going to see a full 10Mbps stream from your ISP. It "could" happen of course, but the chances are probably small.

One computer on a hub is just really a "flat" network extension of your cable connection. No worries!! :D Are you going to have two pc's on the hub at a later point?

Aren't you going to need a router as opposed to a hub? You have a static ip right? If so you cannot have both computers on then net at the same time let alone plugged into the hub and both running. You need to share that 1 ip between the two computers, unless you ISP gives you two IP's then a hub will work.

{PMS}fishy said:
Aren't you going to need a router as opposed to a hub? You have a static ip right?

A router could be used and/or if you're short on cash, run a microsoft platform, and have a hub/switch around, you can use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Certaintly not as good as a switch/Router combo but a "poor mans" way to get multiple pc's accessing the web it is.

I believe some Cable and DSL ISP's only give you one IP addy. I've always used cable and *currently* am able to get a total of 3 DHCP addys before I need to use a router or ICS.

I get 3 IP's from Cogeco, so I'm all good there. I've got the other system up and running w/ Win2k. I got sick of ME always freezing and the arcaic way it handles networking. It pulled an IP on both OS's right away, however.

Well thats nice, I only get one. I also hate my cable company. But you cant complain at the speeds that I am getting. All most 1mb down, and 750kbps up.

2 pc's on a hub are ok, u don't get TOO many collisions..
but if u plan on goin 3 or more, I reccomend a switch...

I have a 5 port switch with 3 comps on it... upgraded from a dinky hub...

Oni said:
I don't use a firewall anyways, and all my sister will be doing w/ the other computer is stuff like email and ICQ, so that won't suck up bandwidth.

ANYTHING you share on your local network will be accessable on the internet, if you do not use a firewall of some sort.

Also, Microsoft shares the c drive and other things by default on NT based systems. It is just a matter of guesing your password to gain access. That is if you have a password, as most poeple just leave it blank...

It shares the C drive for administrative purposes, but for anybody to truely access it, you have to share it from the network.

Trust me, I use passwords, and damn difficult ones at that. I also audit login attempts w/ Success/Failure, so I know if somebody's trying to have a look-see at my box. It doesn't happen often.

I'm not saying I have the most secure box in the world, but Its pretty tightly locked down and monitored.

Nope, using a hub won't slow you down at all, not even if you have OOL. :)

I'm using one, I have tested network performance with and without it, there's no difference at all. I'm using a generic hub also...

Back