• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extending my Wi-Fi reception

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

I work out of my car and often leech off of free Wi-Fi spots like Panera and Starbucks. Also, most of the time I am on and off the phone and don't like being inside of those places because of the noise so I sit in my car in one of the closest parking spots I can get. My problem is that here in Florida it can get real hot in the sun even with the a/c on so I try to find one in the shade but that can't always happen. A lot of times those spots are full or just aren't there so is there a way to extend my W-Fi reception on a laptop? I have seen the cell phone boosters that make my car a "cell phone zone" or something like that but no Wi-Fi versions. Has anyone tried something like this or have any ideas?

I would need to give reception to a laptop with built-in Wi-Fi and can't install any software or hardware that needs drivers because it is a work pc. If it matters it does have Bluetooth as well. Thanks for the help!

There's powerful USB wifi controllers you could use, they get good range.
From cheap TP-Link to high end Ubiquity.

However... since you can't install drivers you'll may want to by a little ethernet access point... TP-Link and Ubiquity come to mind again...

Add a smc connector to your lappy, screw in a big 16-17dBi antenna, or one with a magnetic base and cable and put it on the roof of your car when you are parked.

There's powerful USB wifi controllers you could use, they get good range.
From cheap TP-Link to high end Ubiquity.

However... since you can't install drivers you'll may want to by a little ethernet access point... TP-Link and Ubiquity come to mind again...

Do you mean just a standard access point like we use in our house?
Add a smc connector to your lappy, screw in a big 16-17dBi antenna, or one with a magnetic base and cable and put it on the roof of your car when you are parked.
Because it is a company laptop I can't add anything to it and the only ones I see are plugs. Am I looking at the right thing? Because this is the kind of idea I was thinking of if it could be done.

Because it is a company laptop I can't add anything to it and the only ones I see are plugs. Am I looking at the right thing? Because this is the kind of idea I was thinking of if it could be done.

There are 3 ways you can go about that. All 3 ideas imply you getting a nice big antenna for it.

1. Find a usb (or pcmcia) wifi stick that has a smc connector on it, they exist.

2. Normal wifi stick, and add a smc connector it it.

3. Get a router with ddwrt on it, use it as a client.

Actually, that gave me an idea for a project. Mount an antenna on a car, run the line into a router in the trunk, and a network cable up to the front to config the router when needed. Not that I would do this... unless I have a reason.

Actually, that gave me an idea for a project. Mount an antenna on a car, run the line into a router in the trunk, and a network cable up to the front to config the router when needed. Not that I would do this... unless I have a reason.
This was my thoughts exactly. I wasn't sure the router would really extend my reception but it's worth a shot. I think I will give it a shot with a simple DD-WRT linksys on the shelf behind my back seat to see if it gives me a better reception. That way I don't look like a total geek while I geek out. :D

This was my thoughts exactly. I wasn't sure the router would really extend my reception but it's worth a shot. I think I will give it a shot with a simple DD-WRT linksys on the shelf behind my back seat to see if it gives me a better reception. That way I don't look like a total geek while I geek out. :D
WRT is pretty weak, any laptop with a good card and antenna integrated gets similar range.
You want a router that has good sensitivity and fairly high wattage.
But ya, basically any router would work, or access point, it just needs good firmware so it can act as a repeater, to connect it to networks you just log into the router and connect.
You could also have a VPN on the router so all your traffic is secure on unsecured wireless networks.

Last edited:
DD-WRT is pretty weak, any laptop with a good card and antenna integrated gets similar range.

Doesnt that depend on the router? Cant you increase the transmission power on a wrt-54g v1?

On my old laptop, I added a smc jack, and with a 8-9dBi antenna, I easily got double the range. I always though a laptop was severely limited by the internal antenna.

Doesnt that depend on the router? Cant you increase the transmission power on a wrt-54g v1?
On my old laptop, I added a smc jack, and with a 8-9dBi antenna, I easily got double the range. I always though a laptop was severely limited by the internal antenna.
Whoops, put DD-WRT instead of WRT54G, DD-WRT firmware works well as repeater firmware.
Laptops really vary, some have decent antennas that go around the screen, some have terrible ones, a better antenna definitely helps downstream, upstream, not as much unless the stock antenna is so lacking that it can't run efficiently.
My TP-Link runs openwrt and Ubiquity the stock firmware, they get extreme range with a good antennas.

Back