• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1366 x 768 is the Most Popular Computer Resolution - and for Good Reasons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

1028 x 768 has been the most popular resolution for computer users for some time.

But this changed recently to 1366 x 768 (excluding mobile devices).

Why is this so?

Seems to me the reasons for this are as follows. Please post your take this.

#1: LCD displays are replacing CRT monitors.

#2: Like sized 1366 x 768 LCDs are generally less expensive than higher resolution monitors.

#3: 1366 x 768 LCDs displays in common sizes for computer use perform or appear as good as higher resolution displays - from common viewing distances.

Said another way, most people can't tell the difference for their computer uses.

Agree on #1 and #2, but not #3. I think 1366x768 is "good enough" for most consumers, but 1366x768 does not look as good as higher resolution monitors. With a common viewing distance, lower resolution monitors will look more pixellated than higher resolution monitors.

#4 For the general consumers, 1366x768 is the cheapest display with a "HD" sticker on it. "HD" marketing FTW :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply, which made me think this morning.

This is in answer the question - what are the reasons 1366 x 768 is now the most popular computer resolution.

Agreed on your #4 - marketing. 720p is marketed as HD - whether this is OK being another matter.

Continuing with #3 - One question for discussion would be - which looks better - 1366 x 768 or a higher resolution. In short I'd say it depends, but that seems to be another subject.

With my main question being what reasons are there for 1366 x 768 now being the most popular computer resolution, my #3 answer still seems to stand.

Clarified here: most can't (or would not be able to) tell the differences in resolutions for their computer uses - to include common text sizes, source video resolutions, display sizes, and viewing distances. But this doesn't seem to be much of a factor because most don't compare 1366 x 768 to higher resolutions for their uses before buying.
Agree on #1 and #2, but not #3. I think 1366x768 is "good enough" for most consumers, but 1366x768 does not look as good as higher resolution monitors. With a common viewing distance, lower resolution monitors will look more pixellated than higher resolution monitors.

#4 For the general consumers, 1366x768 is the cheapest display with a "HD" sticker on it. "HD" marketing FTW :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for that link - typical forum discussion that wandered through other subjects. I'd rather keep this discussion on point as you have done here.

#1 seems a good reason because LCD displays are more likely to be a wider aspect ratio than the common 4:3 of CRT monitors. Laptops factor into the popularity of 1366 x 768 as well as desktop LCDs.

Your "basically" summation supports #1 and #4. But while you agree with Mattno's #3, seems to me that point is fairly irrelevant. Like we all apparently agree, most consumers don't compare different resolutions before buying. And so 1366 x 768 is now more popular mainly for other reasons: #1, #2, and Mattno's #4.

And now for a quick test for our readers.

Is 1366 x 768 the best resolution - or - would buying a higher resolution display be best?

Answer: Irrelevant, a completely different subject than as started with this thread. But this likely is a good question for another thread. Hint for those wanting an answer to this question: start your own thread (thanks).

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164027&highlight=most+popular+resolution

1. Not sure what that has to do with anything. CRT's went to HD resolutions.
2. +1
3. Disagree. See Mattno's post.

Basically, its cheap. Its HD, so most normal consumers (read: Those that have no clue) see its cheap, and see its HD. Bought.

Last edited:
IMO, the main reason 1366x768 is most popular is because it is the most common display resolution that comes with pre-built PCs (both laptops and desktops) nowadays, and 95% or more of people buy pre-built systems.

1366 x 768 also seems to be the resolution for cheap laptops. and laptops outsell desktops. probably one day tablets will outsell laptops :p

edit: was beaten by 3 minutes

I agree. Calling this reason #5.

IMO, the main reason 1366x768 is most popular is because it is the most common display resolution that comes with pre-built PCs (both laptops and desktops) nowadays, and 95% or more of people buy pre-built systems.

That resolution isn't limited to pc monitors. Loads of lcd TV's have the same resolution, but "technically" only support 1280x720. That being that that resolution of panel is slightly cheaper to produce than a panel of higher resolution.

To keep it short: It's cheaper to make.

Back