• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Sapphire HD7870 GHz Edition 2GB OC Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice review thanks.

I like the 78## series cards, they perform very well indeed for there money, they can hold there own near the top for much less money and there all you will need for a while unless your running multi monitor set ups.

My Problem with AMD's range is at the level just one stap down from the 78## series.

Thats where i'm looking to upgrade, when the 7770 can't out do my overclocked ancient 5770 i see absolutely no incentive to upgrade via AMD.

The gap from the 7770 to the 7850 is vast both in performance and price, and the 7850 is overkill for what i want.

AMD seem to have forgotten about the likes of me.

Great review as always. :)

@Frakk

Lets hope they make a 1 GB 7850 to fill in the gap. If they leave the price and performance range empty between 7850 & 7770, it would be a big mistake.

I doubt a 1GB 7850

But there will be a 7790. The question is will they just up the memory bus width from 128 Bit to 265 Bit or will they also add a couple of hundred Stream Processors?

The later would add a 30% performance increase, the former would not make much difference as the GPU its self with only 640 Stream Processors is pretty weak.

Indeed it is... But you can find reference 7870's from $330. They may be better served at $299 now.

I hope prices keep falling for the next month when D3 comes out.

Then waiting for swiftech to come out with an air block to fit around mcw60 for 7870.

$260ish for 7870, then 30-50ish for water cooling. Under $300 for water cooled 7870.

Then again it seems the 7950 is getting much better boost in performance through OCing then 7870.....so water cooling 7870 might be a waste. Either way I have a while to wait for prices to fall that much. Until then I will just keep watching benchmarks to see what is best bang for buck with water cooling cost included.

Back