• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused about cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, thanks for that link, mjw21a! :thup:

Looks like IB is gonna be a real challenge to cool then, unless Intel can come up with a newer, lower wattage stepping soon. Looks like phase/LN2 will be the best options for high overclocks with IB.

I'll be putting my 3770k through some testing when I am able to buy one. I can config the heatsink test system with an 1155 board for heatsink testing with IB and will be putting on a pretty decent loop when I get it before then. It will be going in the loop with the RX360 plus GTX140 rads.

No worries..... For some reason some of the most interesting material for me is when Intel don't get things right..... Probably becuase this hasn't really happened since the P4 era..... AMD is the reverse, its when they DO get things right as they consistently haven't met expectations since the Core2Duo era...... Anyway, competition should heat up over the next year or so due to increased competition between the two companies. It's going to be an interesting year.

Mind you, knowing Intel I suspect that their wattage issue will be short lived. Maybe 6 months or so. If it lasts a year I'll be absolutely amazed. Manufacturing process holdups have traditionally been AMD's problem.

I'm personally leaning towards a power density problem due to the process shrink is causing this problem. The core keeps getting smaller and smaller but the wattage is staying the same, bringing increasing power density into play. I am theorizing that if this isn't due to the tri gate transistors making these chips run hotter, then the power density of that small slug is getting to where it outruns the ability of our present cooling solutions to remove that heat when overclocking significantly.

Hmmmm, power draw ordinarily drops with process shrinks, although that drop has been getting smaller with each generation. I personally believe that its just early days for 22nm trigate. I think it will improve over time, and if we know Intel, they'll throw money and engineers at fixing the issue until thing are working as they need to be.

So I think I will just go for the TS120, it is cheap enough, looks to be fairly easy to install, and should work great with my setup since not really planning on pushing it so hard. If anything should be way better then stock cooler right? Which was my biggest concern don't want to see 70+ in the summer months.

Quick question: would you say the TS120 is fairly easy to install for someone who never installed an aftermarket cooler before? I have always just used the stock coolers.

Just wanted to make sure before I put in the order

Last edited:
Tannor,

I recommend avoiding the CM TX3. Its pretty much garbage.

For another $10-15 you can buy a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or 212 Evo. Much better cooling and good bang fer yer buck.

I think he's already discounted the TX3 dude, though you're right, it's a completely rubbish heatsink.

My vote still goes with the Noctua. The difference between a Hyper 212 and a NH-D14 is VERY noticeable once you overclock.

Tannor,

I recommend avoiding the CM TX3. Its pretty much garbage.

For another $10-15 you can buy a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or 212 Evo. Much better cooling and good bang fer yer buck.

Yeah i was looking at 212 but from all the videos I looked at, I really dont think it will clear the ram on the mobo with the ram I got. I guess I can switch where the fans are as somone mentioned earlier, but looking at reviews it looks like TS120 is actually a better cooler then EVO so maybe stick with TS120

Last edited:
tannor, the TS120 shouldn't give you any problems with mounting, as it's pretty straightforward.

One helpful hint fo you here though that I found with mounting it (and TS140 and HR-02 Macho, which all use the same mounting system):
When you go to mount the heatsink to the retention system on the motherboard that you have already installed, the crossbar plate that goes across the top of the heatsink base slides around when setting it in place to install the 2 screws that hold it down to the processor. To stop it from sliding, I put 2 drops of superglue on the top side of the heatsink base, then held the crossbar plate in place centered over the heatsink base until the superglue dried enough to hold it in place. Now that the crossbar plate is held in place to the heatsink, it's dead simple to set the heatsink in place on top of the processor and install and tighten down the 2 screws that tension the heatsink and crossbar to the retention system. If you do need to remove the crossbar from the heatsink's base, a simple tap with the handle of a screwdriver will break the bond of the superglue.

muddocktor,

Thanks for the help and advice!

Also looking at those last images it looks like i5-3750 is 77 tdw, so wonder why it hotter then i5 2500?

I think for someone like myself who is not a heavy OC, I think IB is still what I want over SB. But if prices drop a lot on SB I might just go for it, though I doubt it.

I got another question not sure if i should open a new thread.

How long does paste last in a tube? I have some NT-H1 from 4-5 years ago.

Think it still good to use for my build?

i5 3570 VS i5 2500k......Benched

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164203

My next cpu will be the i5 2500k.......IB doesn't clock any higher and DOES run hotter.

Hmmmm, but from what I've seen its faster clock for clock..... Something I don't understand as there's meant to be no architectural changes.....

If it clocks in at 300MHz slower, but performs the same, I don't really see the issue. Especially if the chip is happy running hot..... Mind you, hot chips don't last as long so I guess you definitely have a point there..... :shrug:

I'm undecided :-/

I got another question not sure if i should open a new thread.

How long does paste last in a tube? I have some NT-H1 from 4-5 years ago.

Think it still good to use for my build?

As long as it doesn't look dried out or separated out, I would think it's still good.

Thanks Muddocktor,

I have never even opened it so will take a look. I forgot I had it long story behind that one.

On another note here is a review from cputer shopper

http://computershopper.com/components/reviews/intel-core-i7-3770k/(page)/4#review-body

Using the automatic overclocking features of the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard, we were able to easily overclock our test chip to 4.63GHz using the Intel XTS100H air cooler, while maintaining solid system stability. During our initial stability testing, running the processor at 100 percent load for over 10 minutes, the chip’s temperature peaked at 65 degrees Celsius. Compare that with last year’s test of the Core i7-2600K; that chip's temperature reached 81 degrees with the same cooler while overclocked to 4.5GHz.

It doesnt sound too bad at all. I had no idea Intel had put out their own cooler.

Looks an awful lot like an old Artctic Cooling Freezer..... I think I'd wait for other reviews before considering it

Oh I wasn't interested in the cooler too much (already bought the TS 120 today so no going back)

I was referring to i7 doesn't sound as bad as some other reviews I saw

Yeah, thanks for that link. It looks like they have had a different experience cooling their 3770k than other places have had so far. And while you really aren't interested in that cooler, it is similar to the coolers that Intel sent with their 980X and 990X Extreme processors, but has 1 less heatpipe. And they are a noisy beast at full fan speed. I found it for sale at newegg right here for $42. The TS120 is a much quieter choice, as well as better.

So i got the TS-120 today.

I still need to wait for the cpu/mobo hopefully this week, just curious when I apply thermal paste in the past I use to just put a drop right dead in the middle. Should I still do that or is there a better way to do it now?

Yep. I use a drop bigger than a grain of rice, smaller than a pea. Then carefully place the cooler on and beging the mind numbing turn each screw 1 turn, then x pattern, never loosing count of the one turn or the x pattern. You get one side tightening early, it'll push the paste to one side.

Ohh I'm still using MX-2, a medium paste, not liquid etc.

Back