• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is better for 32 gb ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bwanaaa

Z77 or x79?

Interested in maximum oc with lowest temp. Although IB is a smaller process, some reports i have read talk about temps disproportionately rising as volts are increased. Some people have said that sandy is a better over clocker on high end air. But i need 32 gb.photoediting of large files. which platform has been most reliable with this?

It entirely depends on which processor you are going for/have.
Z77 is socket 1155, whereas x79 is socket 2011.
However both will deal with 32gb of ram aslong as you check the board is capable.

Also, for photoediting, im sure that sandy bridge would do you fine, however i understand you wanting to wait untill the ivybridge chips come out, as they look as if they will be much more promising in the overclocking aspect.

Also, for ram, if you havent decided on what you want to get already, id have a look at the corsair vengeance 2133mhz sets, or the G.SKILL ripjawZ 2400 mhz sets.

Vengeance ram does run very very cool.

tnx, but those rams dont exist in 8 gig sticks. so to get to 32 gb with ivy bridge, i'd have to wait until the ivy bridge-e chips come out. or get a dual socket mobo. getting 2133 rams for x79 would work and populate all the channels but i dont think that has intel srt (which i need for speeding up large rotational drives to work with large images) also, i dont think that i could overclock the x79 that well with 8 ram slots full-tho i may be ignorant of others' success there.

Back