• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop issues causing problems with power service

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaseyG003

Hi,
I have a HP dv7-1448dx laptop which was given to me by someone in hopes I could get it going for them. It was in unknown condition with no hdd or memory. I installed 2x2gb ram and stuck in a hdd that had a copy of windows 7 installed on it just to test the thing out. Computer would boot and windows would load but invariably after about 5-15 seconds the screen would go black and system would freeze (not hibernate and opening/closing lid does nothing). It would boot and run fine in safe mode. After some tinkering and reading posts I tried disabling the "power" service in msconfig. This works and the system will now boot and run fine but disabling the power system also causes the audio to not work (not sure why).
The no audio is probably something that could be lived with, I would think. However, the computer needs a fresh operating system installed on it and that is really causing a problem. When windows loads from a install disc it will get to a certain point then screen will go black and system will freeze (I assume it loads the power service). I don't think there is a way to do a safe mode install...?
I tried loading Ubuntu from disc hoping it wouldn't cause the problem like windows does and I could just install Ubuntu as the main o/s. But, that didn't work.....same thing, loads then 10-15 seconds later black screen.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem?? I don't know if its a motherboard issue, a lid sensor issue, problem with the integrated graphics or what is going on. Ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated! :shrug:
P.S. Does the same thing without battery & plugged into power supply.

Any suggestions on a forum where I could get an answer? I tried HP's forum with no luck...

Have you tried installing Win with no battery? It could be the PSU going bad in the laptop or power cord going bad, and it switching to battery, and if battery is dead, then tries to sleep.

I have a HP dv7-1448dx laptop which was given to me by someone in hopes I could get it going for them. It was in unknown condition with no hdd or memory. I installed 2x2gb ram and stuck in a hdd that had a copy of windows 7 installed on it just to test the thing out. Computer would boot and windows would load but invariably after about 5-15 seconds the screen would go black and system would freeze (not hibernate and opening/closing lid does nothing). It would boot and run fine in safe mode. After some tinkering and reading posts I tried disabling the "power" service in msconfig. This works and the system will now boot and run fine but disabling the power system also causes the audio to not work (not sure why).
Wait a second - you didn't do a clean install? Try a clean install of Windows 7 first. This is sounding like a driver issue to me.

Back