• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP DV6000 repair, penny trick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pen torch.

Hmm, OK, I guess I'll get a pen torch then. I installed the lapped penny, but I will take it apart to do the pen torch. Since I have went this far I am gonna go all the way. It will be several days before I update this thread, since I will be starting my 12hr shifts on Wed.

Attachments

• P4300027.JPG
    P4300027.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,411
  • P4300028.JPG
    P4300028.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 2,418
I think we may have a misunderstanding here.
I tried the pen torch on the first motherboard. Didn't work. (I could have screwed it up)
When I got the replacement, I threw a penny in there to stop future issues.

Almost done putting it back together.

Attachments

• P5080030.JPG
    P5080030.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 750
I bought a butane pen torch from Lowes for $19.97 and wraped the motherboard in tinfoil and heated up the Nv GPU by circling the GPU PCB lightly off and on for about 2-3 mins. I slowly heated the GPU up to were I could smell hot electronics and shut of the flame. I wish I had a lazer temp finder but I don't so I guessed the proper amount of time I would need to reflow the solder to 220c (I think thats the temp, correct me if I am wrong) and it worked. This HP DV6000 is fixed. It works great! Before the boot lights would flash and then shut off with no boot at all.

Attachments

• P5080032.JPG
    P5080032.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 751
I have a Compaq F700 and the GPu issue, I tried to do the reflow, before it it would only power on for 1 second, after it would just boot loop, So I held down the esc key when powering it on and it would stay on.. However I had no video and the laptop soon turned off again but now going back to not wanting to come on again.

Not a huge deal breaker

BTW, I need to make a trip to Harbor Frieght and get some sand paper and a magnet to magnetize my small screw drivers. I stopped the disassemble due to the little screws slipping off the tip of my screw driver.

Doing a little necro-threading here..

If you remove one of the little rare-earth magnets that laptops use to indicate when the lid is closed, from a parts lappy, and attach it to a screwdriver, it makes it magnetic (Assuming your using steel screwdrivers). I have a super-powerful, tiny magnet that I carry with my screwdriver set for this purpose. I also have the craftsman pickup tool as a backup.

If you remove one of the little rare-earth magnets that laptops use to indicate when the lid is closed, from a parts lappy, and attach it to a screwdriver, it makes it magnetic (Assuming your using steel screwdrivers). I have a super-powerful, tiny magnet that I carry with my screwdriver set for this purpose. I also have the craftsman pickup tool as a backup.

Noice tip bro! I will look into that later tonight:thup:

Hey thanks for posting the links and pictures. If I ever get time I might give it a shot, my cousin gave me his HP DV6000 video card was going, penny and reflow trick might work. Just not sure its worth my time, laptop itself is pretty beat, but would be a fun project to try...only so many project i can do...

just pull the magnet out of a dead hard drive... same crazy powerful rare earth magnet... but bigger and easier to find. BTW fixed a coupla laptops with this problem with a good treatment with a heatgun and a filed flat penny to better transfer the heat to the heatsink from the gpu!

Back