• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Cubitek Magic Cube AIO Case Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Cubitek... not too many people in our audience know the name, but that's about to change. The company has been around since 2002, but was originally focused on OEM work. In 2010, they reorganized the business and started producing some pretty ingenious cases. I've had my eye on them for a little while now and am very excited by their latest crop of all-aluminum cases.

In this review, we're looking at their latest incarnation in the Magic Cube series, called the AIO (All In One). It's an all-aluminum case with loads of potential.

Finished-2.jpg

... Return to article to continue reading.

Thanks for the writeup Nick, I like the drive mounting setup a lot - makes the inside of the case look airy and spacious! Also allows the front intakes to remain nearly entirely unobstructed which is pretty rare.

I love it. I was all ready to start coming up with an excuse to feed my wife but then I noticed only one top 140mm fan hole? Front 2x 140 and top 2x140 with the layout here would be choice for a fatty all internal LC setup.

Thanks guys. I really liked this case the moment I saw it. Pricing might be a bit steep though. I've heard $279 give or take, which is getting into NICE full tower territory. We'll see when it's released for sure.

Whoa, $279 personally makes me throw on the air brakes and pay a lot more attention to the finer details. It is a really nice looking case, it does fit EATX boards, and it does have a nice approach with the drives and clearing up the front intakes. But it isn't anywhere near tool-less, and the filter in front needs fixed - a filter that isn't easily cleaned isn't much good. That shouldn't be too hard to fix though - magnetic fan filters would do the trick, and they'd just need to put a steel frame around the fan mounts to give the magnets something to stick to.

Thanks for writing the review. I have had an eye on cubitek and love them for whatever reason. They are on the pricey side though.

I do feel the need to ask one question though
is this the same case?

I was looking at the modular magic cube and they had an order feature to allow you to order two different versions of the magic cube. They got a site redesign and it doesn't seem like the same case. Nor are the images the same.

Pretty much deciding between the reviewed case or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107 which a pretty large price difference. The newegg one isn't exactly up to date but it would work for my use.
On the other hand something about cubitek I like and I want to support them.

Thanks for writing the review. I have had an eye on cubitek and love them for whatever reason. They are on the pricey side though.

I do feel the need to ask one question though
is this the same case?

I was looking at the modular magic cube and they had an order feature to allow you to order two different versions of the magic cube. They got a site redesign and it doesn't seem like the same case. Nor are the images the same.

Pretty much deciding between the reviewed case or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107 which a pretty large price difference. The newegg one isn't exactly up to date but it would work for my use.
On the other hand something about cubitek I like and I want to support them.

I feel very similar about cubitek, there is something about them that I just want to see succeed in this market.
The case from the Youtube video is the original Magic Cube. I made a slight reference to it in the review, but you are correct in finding the similarities. They basically took the motherboard and PSU section to that case and cleverly hid the rest of the components within it. While eliminating some of the often unneeded aspects.

Their newly redesigned website appears to be almost completely up and running at this point.

The Rosewill Blackhawk case that you linked appears to be a nice case. I haven't had any experience with it personally. It is definitely more of a conventional case, where Cubitek has something quite unique here. Love it or hate it... it's different. I do have to say though that there is something quite satisfying about having an all-aluminum case. They just ooze beauty everytime you touch them and work with them, and they tend to be pretty timeless designs. (Not just reffering to Cubitek here obviously)

I incorrectly stated that an HPTX board would fit into this case. You actually need 9 expansion slots for the SR-2, even though there is room for it, the last PCI-e slot would not be functional.

I incorrectly stated that an HPTX board would fit into this case. You actually need 9 expansion slots for the SR-2, even though there is room for it, the last PCI-e slot would not be functional.

While the review was enough to show me that I want this case. It was also an enormous failure.

Hooking this thing up to an external cooling system does not show us anything really worth knowing about the case.
:facepalm:

Thanks guys. I really liked this case the moment I saw it. Pricing might be a bit steep though. I've heard $279 give or take, which is getting into NICE full tower territory. We'll see when it's released for sure.

yeah you would think with the simplicity of this case, the price would be alot lower than it is, compared to cases with built in backplanes and stuff that list for around the same range. The design is spot on but the price point is gonna deter alot of sales i think.

Back