Ivy Bridge preview with GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H (Intel Z77) and Core i7 3770K

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” -Winston Churchill

2. Thanks!

diaz (04-25-12), manu2b (04-21-12), txus.palacios (04-19-12)

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    interesting article. Some of the numbers seem a bit off (especially for the temperatures -- I'm pretty sure the 8150 under load isn't 30C, nor at idle 7C) other than that, I would have liked to see some more benchmarks, but it fits about where I expected it to.
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Janus67 View Post
    interesting article. Some of the numbers seem a bit off (especially for the temperatures -- I'm pretty sure the 8150 under load isn't 30C, nor at idle 7C) other than that, I would have liked to see some more benchmarks, but it fits about where I expected it to.
    You and i both know just how messed up AMD's temperature sensors are

They always under read by at least 10c, and AMD's always have run cooler than Intel's, that's not to say there better, Intel's have a higher temp threshold, about 75 - 80c vs AMD's 62 - 65c

At stock clocks with a good cooler (H100 used here) it makes more sense, that would be 17 / 20c idle and 40 - 45c load for the FX

In a nice cool room it would fit.
    “The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” -Winston Churchill

My UD5H will be here tuesday cant wait to play with this mobo.
    Z87-GD65 | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 5tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |

HEAT

Registered
    Lol. Who said amd has always run cooler? That's complete crap. Lmao. You amd fanboys need to stop. I don't care what benchmarks say. My games run fine on both chips.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Ninja View Post
    Lol. Who said amd has always run cooler? That's complete crap. Lmao. You amd fanboys need to stop. I don't care what benchmarks say. My games run fine on both chips.
    As i explained AMD's have a low thermal threshold, the maximum CPU temp for them is 65c... and thats what i'm getting overclocked after a 9 hour Prime95 full blend test on a cheap cooler (check my benchmarks link)

Because they have a lower temp threshold they run cold, especially at stock clocks.

Its nothing to do with fanboyism, its simply a fact.

Benching Profile
    ^ what he says.

Watch your language, kid.
    PC#2 : Intel DP67BG (the only P67/Z68/Z77 Board that doesn't allow overclock!!!) - i5 3470 - 2x4GB GSkill - M4 250GB - HiperM 1000W - 2x Sapphire Dual-X 280x
    PC#3 : SaberTooth 990FX R2.0 - FX6300@4.5GHz - Hyper212EVO - 2x4GB Corsair vengeance - Corsair Force90 - Corsair CX600M - Sapphire Dual-x 280x
    HTPC : ASUS A55BM-Plus - AMD A4-4000 - iGPU[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by E-Ninja View Post
    Lol, I won't bother since Frakk already schooled you on the subject.

I'm not too impressed with the benches, if I do end up upgrading I'll go with the 3930K. I'd like to see more gaming benches from the IB CPUs though.
    |NZXT Phantom
    |ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    |AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.21 Ghz
    |eVGA GTX 570 SC + MSI GTX 570
    |
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3-1333
    |Crucial M4 64GB SSD
    |WD Cavair Black 2TB
    |Corsair Tx850v2

Yes gaming is what matters, SB was already very good no one can deny that, they will be a hard act to beat.

As for these benchmarks i'm going to stick my neck on the line and suggest weighing them against SB with these results i don't see any reason in spending money on these if you already have a SB.
    Actually if the rumours of the overclocking limits on IB compared with SB are true you might be better off with a SB
    Last edited by Frakk; 04-23-12 at 11:42 AM.

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Thats not sticking your neck out.. thats pointing out the obvious. Now, if you are moving from something older, like i7 920 or even older. I would imagine you get the best you can afford.

The rumors are true. It runs hot. Read our review on the front page.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
    Thats not sticking your neck out.. thats pointing out the obvious. Now, if you are moving from something older, like i7 920 or even older. I would imagine you get the best you can afford.

The rumors are true. It runs hot. Read our review on the front page.

uuuhhh... we have a review? on my way

Thnx for link to article... I was looking for a bench between 2500K and 3570K on Z77 mobo, because i'm switching my AMD system to Intel soon!!
    Guess it IS worth paying a few more € to get the 3570K!

Benching Profile
    Mmm... Unless you need the faster iGPU (for faster encoding using Virtu), I don't actually see much of a différence.
    PC#2 : Intel DP67BG (the only P67/Z68/Z77 Board that doesn't allow overclock!!!) - i5 3470 - 2x4GB GSkill - M4 250GB - HiperM 1000W - 2x Sapphire Dual-X 280x
    PC#3 : SaberTooth 990FX R2.0 - FX6300@4.5GHz - Hyper212EVO - 2x4GB Corsair vengeance - Corsair Force90 - Corsair CX600M - Sapphire Dual-x 280x
    HTPC : ASUS A55BM-Plus - AMD A4-4000 - iGPU[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by manu2b View Post
    Mmm... Unless you need the faster iGPU (for faster encoding using Virtu), I don't actually see much of a différence.
    Well for the slight improvements on the 3570K over the i5 2500K and the expected benefits of the iGPU combined from the Z77 VMP function i think it's worth the extra 30 € so far.

Just waiting for some VMP tests to make my final choice.

Way Too Jealous Member Supertrucker's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Also, just because it runs hotter in and of itself doesnt mean much, it has a higher temp limit (105c tjmax instead of 95) and consumes less power, so wont heat the room as much, despite running warmer. If you are buying new, and the prices are close to the same, theres no real reason not to buy ivybridge. But if you already have a decent or better clocking sandybridge chip, it just doesnt seem worthwhile unless you are a regular in the extreme cooling subsection.
    5820k @4250 Asus X99 Deluxe
    Crossfire R9 290 @ 1100/1300
    Catleap 2560x1440 IPS w/120hz pcb
    DT770 pro

Quote Originally Posted by Supertrucker View Post
    Also, just because it runs hotter in and of itself doesnt mean much, it has a higher temp limit (105c tjmax instead of 95) and consumes less power, so wont heat the room as much, despite running warmer. If you are buying new, and the prices are close to the same, theres no real reason not to buy ivybridge. But if you already have a decent or better clocking sandybridge chip, it just doesnt seem worthwhile unless you are a regular in the extreme cooling subsection.
    Yes it has higher heat tolerance, but you could get good clocks out of a 2500k with a relatively inexpensive cooler like a Hyper 212 +.
    There is more heat coming off the IB Heat Spreader, so the question is how will such a CPU cooler cope having to deal with that extra heat, will it be ok or will something more expensive be needed now, don't forget (just like having a warmer GPU in the case) it will heat the inside of the case up that bit more.

Also the power consumption is 88w vs 90 idle and 303w vs 305 load, there pretty small marginal improvements.

The only real improvement here is the IGP, and what they are is (good for Intel) compared with APU's there not good at all, even an old Llano is 30% better and Trinity is 50% better than Llano.

Of corse AMD have a lot of catching up to do in IPC performance.
    Last edited by Frakk; 04-25-12 at 11:20 AM.

From what I have read so far IB runs hotter and doesn't clock as well as sandy. The chip has some cool features like 3d transistors but it doesn't translate into a very big performance gain.
    Intel I7 X5650@4Ghz(1.3v)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    ASUS P6X58D Premium
    3x2gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1600
    6950 2gb unlocked
    Corsair CMPSU-650TX PSU
    Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb hdd
    Lite-on 24x dvd burner

At this point for me its a Sandy for my next build if Piledriver turns out to be Bulldozer episode II

I certainly don't like the idea of anything running at 90 - 100c in my rig.

We must not forget that constant heat expansion and contraction is what kills Motherboards

Its called (stress fatigue)
    Last edited by Frakk; 04-25-12 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
    From what I have read so far IB runs hotter and doesn't clock as well as sandy. The chip has some cool features like 3d transistors but it doesn't translate into a very big performance gain.
    Ivy Bridge is a tick. It wasn't supposed to have amazing IPC gains