• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ivy Bridge preview with GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H (Intel Z77) and Core i7 3770K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
interesting article. Some of the numbers seem a bit off (especially for the temperatures -- I'm pretty sure the 8150 under load isn't 30C, nor at idle 7C) other than that, I would have liked to see some more benchmarks, but it fits about where I expected it to.

interesting article. Some of the numbers seem a bit off (especially for the temperatures -- I'm pretty sure the 8150 under load isn't 30C, nor at idle 7C) other than that, I would have liked to see some more benchmarks, but it fits about where I expected it to.

You and i both know just how messed up AMD's temperature sensors are :)

They always under read by at least 10c, and AMD's always have run cooler than Intel's, that's not to say there better, Intel's have a higher temp threshold, about 75 - 80c vs AMD's 62 - 65c

At stock clocks with a good cooler (H100 used here) it makes more sense, that would be 17 / 20c idle and 40 - 45c load for the FX

In a nice cool room it would fit.

Lol. Who said amd has always run cooler? That's complete crap. Lmao. You amd fanboys need to stop. I don't care what benchmarks say. My games run fine on both chips.

Lol. Who said amd has always run cooler? That's complete crap. Lmao. You amd fanboys need to stop. I don't care what benchmarks say. My games run fine on both chips.

As i explained AMD's have a low thermal threshold, the maximum CPU temp for them is 65c... and thats what i'm getting overclocked after a 9 hour Prime95 full blend test on a cheap cooler (check my benchmarks link)

Because they have a lower temp threshold they run cold, especially at stock clocks.

Its nothing to do with fanboyism, its simply a fact.

Lol, I won't bother since Frakk already schooled you on the subject.

I'm not too impressed with the benches, if I do end up upgrading I'll go with the 3930K. I'd like to see more gaming benches from the IB CPUs though.

Yes gaming is what matters, SB was already very good no one can deny that, they will be a hard act to beat.

As for these benchmarks i'm going to stick my neck on the line and suggest weighing them against SB with these results i don't see any reason in spending money on these if you already have a SB.
Actually if the rumours of the overclocking limits on IB compared with SB are true you might be better off with a SB

Last edited:
Thats not sticking your neck out.. thats pointing out the obvious. Now, if you are moving from something older, like i7 920 or even older. I would imagine you get the best you can afford.

The rumors are true. It runs hot. Read our review on the front page. ;)

Thats not sticking your neck out.. thats pointing out the obvious. Now, if you are moving from something older, like i7 920 or even older. I would imagine you get the best you can afford.

The rumors are true. It runs hot. Read our review on the front page. ;)

uuuhhh... we have a review? on my way :D

Thnx for link to article... I was looking for a bench between 2500K and 3570K on Z77 mobo, because i'm switching my AMD system to Intel soon!!
Guess it IS worth paying a few more € to get the 3570K! :)

Mmm... Unless you need the faster iGPU (for faster encoding using Virtu), I don't actually see much of a différence.

Mmm... Unless you need the faster iGPU (for faster encoding using Virtu), I don't actually see much of a différence.

Well for the slight improvements on the 3570K over the i5 2500K and the expected benefits of the iGPU combined from the Z77 VMP function i think it's worth the extra 30 € so far.

Just waiting for some VMP tests to make my final choice.

Also, just because it runs hotter in and of itself doesnt mean much, it has a higher temp limit (105c tjmax instead of 95) and consumes less power, so wont heat the room as much, despite running warmer. If you are buying new, and the prices are close to the same, theres no real reason not to buy ivybridge. But if you already have a decent or better clocking sandybridge chip, it just doesnt seem worthwhile unless you are a regular in the extreme cooling subsection.

Also, just because it runs hotter in and of itself doesnt mean much, it has a higher temp limit (105c tjmax instead of 95) and consumes less power, so wont heat the room as much, despite running warmer. If you are buying new, and the prices are close to the same, theres no real reason not to buy ivybridge. But if you already have a decent or better clocking sandybridge chip, it just doesnt seem worthwhile unless you are a regular in the extreme cooling subsection.

Yes it has higher heat tolerance, but you could get good clocks out of a 2500k with a relatively inexpensive cooler like a Hyper 212 +.
There is more heat coming off the IB Heat Spreader, so the question is how will such a CPU cooler cope having to deal with that extra heat, will it be ok or will something more expensive be needed now, don't forget (just like having a warmer GPU in the case) it will heat the inside of the case up that bit more.

Also the power consumption is 88w vs 90 idle and 303w vs 305 load, there pretty small marginal improvements.

The only real improvement here is the IGP, and what they are is (good for Intel) compared with APU's there not good at all, even an old Llano is 30% better and Trinity is 50% better than Llano.

Of corse AMD have a lot of catching up to do in IPC performance.

Last edited:
From what I have read so far IB runs hotter and doesn't clock as well as sandy. The chip has some cool features like 3d transistors but it doesn't translate into a very big performance gain.

At this point for me its a Sandy for my next build if Piledriver turns out to be Bulldozer episode II

I certainly don't like the idea of anything running at 90 - 100c in my rig.

We must not forget that constant heat expansion and contraction is what kills Motherboards

Its called (stress fatigue)

Last edited:
From what I have read so far IB runs hotter and doesn't clock as well as sandy. The chip has some cool features like 3d transistors but it doesn't translate into a very big performance gain.

Ivy Bridge is a tick. It wasn't supposed to have amazing IPC gains

Back