• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ivy Bridge- Did anyone notice the TT article 3770k vs 3570k temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Guys, I must say I dont know whether to be dissapointed yet. I realize there is a SLIGHT possibility that the Retail Boxed Stepping will have slight improvements in tri gate voltage control and temps. I AM PRAYING bc honestly I was very excited for my next Ivy Bridge build seeing how I am one of those few that skipped out on Sandy Bridge. I am kinda kicking myself for not building SB when I wanted to last year.

But something small that I noticed in the TweakTown article on OC'ing IB.
We all saw the infamous skyrocketing 98*C temp on the 4.8 GHz es stepping 3770k, but if you look at the same chart, the 3570k CPU @ 4.6 GHz only hits about 76*C on the same cooling. Any ideas here? Hyperthreading? Would HT cause 20*C differential??? I am so confused as to what to do right now. Buy SB, buy IB, wait another year for Haswell. If I wait another year I wouldnt have upgraded my rig for almost 4 years now, and that is a record for me. What are your thoughts guys? Another small thing I noticed was a gentleman on xtremesystems with a 3770k retail chip (he wouldnt release details bc of NDA) but he said the Tweaktown article is potentially skewed or glitched possibly because of the difference in ES and retail stepping, and his 3770k is about 20*C cooler on high end air. So many different results here but I am still a little dissapointed with the initial results on tweaktown. I also understand the clock to clock performance will make up for a slight 10% of clockspeed differences but that is not enough to satisfy my needs. I guess it is all just a waiting game for NDA lift and retail reviews.

Current rig is i7-920 @ 4.59 GHz.

Signed,
A confused Dominick. :eh?:

The bulk of people out there that have access to the multiple revisions of ES chips and release versions have stated that the last ES chips and the current retail chips seem to behave the same temp and voltage wise.

As far as jumping on the bandwagon for ivy bridge or not I think the main question you probably want to ask yourself is this. What am I gonna use it for?

Are you just gaming with it? if so what are you playing and does it currently need the performance boost?

Are you buying it just to overclock it? If so what are you using for cooling? Are you going to be using extreme methods of cooling?

Is it gonna matter that much to you if you buy one now or 6 months down the road? Are you gonna buy an upgraded version 6 months down the road when the next section of the Ivy Bridge Roadmap is released?

For the majority of these questions the answer isn't really enough to push you to buy one right away. For those doing benching and running cold they are gonna be wanting to pick one up regardless of the everyday performance on air. Since The chips are suppose to scale much more on cold. However for the bulk of people a short wait in the roadmap will probably be preferable anyways, as well as allow for some of the initial Latest and greatest pricing to disappear.

Yep... in the Ivybridge rumor thread it was mentioned.

But yes, like other chips before it with HT, its HT that raises the temps up...thats at least part of it. ;)

Bottom line (IMO): Wait and see what review sites, say about it.

Big thing to remember about hyperThreading is that it is running the chip at the absolute max instead of leaving some open spaces in whats being processed.

Most of the time what your asking the cpu to execute are partial instructions, that are executed mostly for quick response not for the efficiency of processor utilization. This leaves a good amount of open space that can be utilized still. Part of this is done by in hardware on all chips. HyperThreading chips have the added benifit of being slightly more aggressive about this. They also utilize the FPU(floating point unit) so that when your not executing something that requires double precision (which is 4 calculations to reassemble a large number/decimal number, vs single precision which is 2 calcuations to reassemble a large number/Decimal number) It uses the unused half of the FPU to execute a second set of single precision floating point calculations.

This obviously has the effect of running the chip closer to its maximum than it normally would, Both increasing power consumption and heat output to a degree.

I am in the same boat, my last mobo upgrade was day i7 920's came out, and I want a new cpu/mobo to play with, no other reason.

I would rather that new cpu be the start of new mobo platform + tech improvement vs end of mobo platform + die shrink, but I missed SB fun, not sitting this one out, high temps or not. Then guess I will switch mobo/cpu again in 12 months when haswell comes out, but that will get me back on track to just new mobo every couple years at most.

Still think Im getting 3770k, but if HTing even adds 7-10C heat, and these things are that hot, may not be using HTing other than benchmarks.

The wait is killing me! I will only be running a mild overclock for 24/7. Probably on hog end air so I'll be getting one regardless as I won't notice the heat issue. Only a few day to go! But then I'm going away for 5 days so I cant order my components yet!! At least it will force me to wait for some reviews I guess.

Still think Im getting 3770k, but if HTing even adds 7-10C heat, and these things are that hot, may not be using HTing other than benchmarks.

That's what I do for the most part anyway. No reason to increase my temps and the voltage needed to run at a clock speed if nothing I am doing takes advantage of 8 threads vs 4 threads.

I say if you have the money and still enjoy it jump in with both feet.
I have a Z77X UD5H coming and I am going to grab a 3770k as soon as I can.
Do I need it with my current rig? Nope. Am I getting it anyway? Yes.
I also have some of those sexy 30nm $40 sexy samsung 1.35v ddr3 1600 kits that will be running 2133mhz 2x4gb to play with on z77/IB sexy

In the same boat as everyone else. At least some of you are coming from current i7's. I'm still in the 775 socket era (nothing really wrong with that...)

Alright guys . You convinced me. Heat and Voltage problems and all. Z77 and 3770k here I come. What are you guys using for cooling? I was thinking of going a standard venomous x with some nice fans.

Dom

PS- i knew that HT will reduce temps. I have been testing HT for years, even ran many tests for OCF years back on the i7-920 regarding gaming and hyperthreading/temps. Disabling HT on my 920 accounts for an exact 10 degree drop across all 4 cores and gaming + overclock improves in most cases. So, I am definitely disabling HT on my 3770k, I need the highest clockspeed possible on air and coolest temps. If HT accounts for a 20 degree drop in temps on IB, than it is no question in my mind to disable. I would much rather NOT have HT, than have 98*C loaded OC temps.

Alright guys . You convinced me. Heat and Voltage problems and all. Z77 and 3770k here I come. What are you guys using for cooling? I was thinking of going a standard venomous x with some nice fans.

Dom

PS- i knew that HT will reduce temps. I have been testing HT for years, even ran many tests for OCF years back on the i7-920 regarding gaming and hyperthreading/temps. Disabling HT on my 920 accounts for an exact 10 degree drop across all 4 cores and gaming + overclock improves in most cases. So, I am definitely disabling HT on my 3770k, I need the highest clockspeed possible on air and coolest temps. If HT accounts for a 20 degree drop in temps on IB, than it is no question in my mind to disable. I would much rather NOT have HT, than have 98*C loaded OC temps.

If you disable HT, why not grabbing a 3570k then?!?

If you disable HT, why not grabbing a 3570k then?!?

For two simple reasons:
1.) the 3770k as Diaz has stated is almost certainly a slightly better binned processor than younger brother 3570. I am not talking extreme edition better binned, but there is always a chance intel is still using the old rule of thumb for wafers. Going along with this, the three review sites that tested the ES CPUs found an extra 200 MHz of overclocking room on the 3770k when compared to the 3570k and this was consistent, related to max clock speed, not mobo or config settings.

2.) the most obvious reason. The tweak town article could have been just a massive glitch and the retail 3770ks might not need to disable HT to get loaded temps in the 70's instead of 90's. I am willing to take that risk. Worst case scenario, if she runs hot, disable HT. no big deal. But I at least want to take a chance with the flagship mainstream IB CPU before making any judgement.

Last edited:
even then, if you reach +90C at load, that is usually during stress test for extended period of time.. when you run a game or other software you wont break 80C at that rate.. probably hang out around 70C on average..

Maybe you should consider a corsair H100 that's what tweaktown used for the testing with the 3770k 4.8GHz 97c.

The corsair H100 cooled the i7 2600k 5.2GHz 75c that's good.

Last edited:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1242313/...mparison-3770k-vs-2600k-performance-temps-etc

apparently ivy bridge gets toasty with high voltages. is it because of the tri gate transistors?

i'm a little worried and kinda let down seeing this. if anything, you would think temps would be lower but in worse case, the same as SB being its on a smaller die ?

i was thinking about buying a 3770K and selling my 2600K but being how i have my 2600K with HT on @4.5ghz (using offset) voltages never go past 1.30 and my temps on load (ripbot264 full hd encode) for 2 hours never go past 61C i may just stay with my SB.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1242313/...mparison-3770k-vs-2600k-performance-temps-etc

apparently ivy bridge gets toasty with high voltages. is it because of the tri gate transistors?

i'm a little worried and kinda let down seeing this. if anything, you would think temps would be lower but in worse case, the same as SB being its on a smaller die ?

i was thinking about buying a 3770K and selling my 2600K but being how i have my 2600K with HT on @4.5ghz (using offset) voltages never go past 1.30 and my temps on load (ripbot264 full hd encode) for 2 hours never go past 61C i may just stay with my SB.

Trigate yes, and also smaller die = higher power density = higher core temps. And who knows if further design improvements will help, or what die attach currently using.

Back