• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel jumps in the market with i686 Androids!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbohans

This is very exiting to me, and should open up the opportunity to run a lot more operating systems on Android phones. Anyway pretty soon they will be releasing the "XOLO X900" to a small market in India. The XOLO will boast an Intel-Atom CPU rather than the traditional ARM that they ship with now.

Just thought I would give you guys the heads up. Cant wait to see if we can overclock them.

Read more here. > http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/19/me...roid-atom-powered-smartphone-bound-for-india/

EDIT: Overclockix mobile? hehehe

I have absolutely had it with Android and smartphones in general. I absolutely hate them now.

Back when the G1 first came out I was ecstatic because of the screen, keyboard, and awesome battery life thanks to the battery I bought. After moving offices at work it stopped grabbing signal so I upgraded to a snazzy Droid Incredible.

Let me just say this, the software is awful enough as it is with every half-baked phone manufacturer putting their own overlay OVER the android OS. The last thing we need to do is change the friggin' architecture.

Who the hell do they think is going to code for this? Android already has crappy enough apps and software and this is just going to confuse things.

I'm not saying the Intel Atom isn't an awesome alternative but I fail to see how it even matters. Don't get me wrong, I hate iOS and Blackberry as well but at least iPhones are consistant with their hardware/software.

I have absolutely had it with Android and smartphones in general. I absolutely hate them now.

Back when the G1 first came out I was ecstatic because of the screen, keyboard, and awesome battery life thanks to the battery I bought. After moving offices at work it stopped grabbing signal so I upgraded to a snazzy Droid Incredible.

Let me just say this, the software is awful enough as it is with every half-baked phone manufacturer putting their own overlay OVER the android OS. The last thing we need to do is change the friggin' architecture.

Who the hell do they think is going to code for this? Android already has crappy enough apps and software and this is just going to confuse things.

I'm not saying the Intel Atom isn't an awesome alternative but I fail to see how it even matters. Don't get me wrong, I hate iOS and Blackberry as well but at least iPhones are consistant with their hardware/software.
are you into the whole root/custom rom idea for Android phones?
i'm thinking back to my stock Froyo firmware on my Galaxy S when i first bought it and it looks and feels pretty hideous compared to what it has now.

i hated Samsung's touchwiz on top of pure Android. it looked like a copy of iOS, and the icons were all chunky. so when i found out how, i flashed to a gingerbread rom which had the Google Nexus' menu etc...good stuff! :)
i can understand if you can't be bothered or don't have time fiddling with your phone, but it sure is a lot better than what they offer in stock form.

Oh I'm running CM7.2 and I love it. I love the hardware in these smartphones but the software is awful.

I'd be curious to see how many good Dev teams and studios program for the i686 architecture. I'm sure they have enough problems with cross-phone compatibility ...

Oh nice! I recently juat flashed to some sort of ICS rom. I'm loving the new look!
Wonder how these phones will do in terms of battery life though. 1.6 ghz hmmmm lol

It's an x86 cpu...or am I nuts?
No one noticed that guys? :p

Yes it is!! That is why I was so happy to see it launching! I just figured i686 would be a more correct term for it. ;)

I'd be curious to see how many good Dev teams and studios program for the i686 architecture. I'm sure they have enough problems with cross-phone compatibility ...

Huh? Think Windows 8 and Ubuntu bringing phones out of the ARM slump would allow a lot more in terms of development that has already been taking course.

Yeah I'm not debating that, I'm just saying that if you were a dev, wouldn't you program for iOS before anything else? There's plenty of articles out there (too drunk to find them) that state that they make 2-3 times more in profits over anything else.

I definitely respect the goal of open-source software and O/Ss but unfortunately we don't live in a galletarian society so as capitalism dictates, people have to earn money for their work and as of right now, Android is the last avenue to take.

Even with UDK and the likes these Devs are releasing games and apps for iOS first and Android last. I don't even know about Blackberry (I think Blackberry's would have died off LONG ago if it weren't for the corporate world)

Man, who cares bout Android! Give me regular x86 stuff, a mini laptop with phone form factor and decent battery life. :p
Android is nice for fooling around, but I'd kill to play Ragnarok online on my phone lol

I'm running an in development version of CM9. I absolutely hated the Samsung verson of Android, CM7 wasn't stable but funnily enough the in development version of Cayanogenmod ROM 9 is absolutely brilliant. It's nearly the end of my workday and the battery is sitting at 96% capacity. Everything is customized just the way I like it.

I'm using cm7.1 in my nook color, I wanna give cm9 a try...been hearing good things.
I'll give my tablet to my wife and get me one of these Intel phones or a win8 tablet to play with when they come out. :D

This is very exiting to me, and should open up the opportunity to run a lot more operating systems on Android phones. Anyway pretty soon they will be releasing the "XOLO X900" to a small market in India. The XOLO will boast an Intel-Atom CPU rather than the traditional ARM that they ship with now.

Just thought I would give you guys the heads up. Cant wait to see if we can overclock them.

Read more here. > http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/19/me...roid-atom-powered-smartphone-bound-for-india/

EDIT: Overclockix mobile? hehehe
You can overclock non intel based droids anyway.

Still pretty cool!

i like htc's android setup definitely the classiest android interface i have used. but windows 8 on my phone would be pretty bad@$$ ;D surely it could handle some older (like 2d tibia old) pc games with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse jejeje :D

I'm running an in development version of CM9. I absolutely hated the Samsung verson of Android, CM7 wasn't stable but funnily enough the in development version of Cayanogenmod ROM 9 is absolutely brilliant. It's nearly the end of my workday and the battery is sitting at 96% capacity. Everything is customized just the way I like it.

What phone are you using? I can't tell if CM9 will be runnable on my 1st Droid Incredible.

The vast majority of apps out there are 100% Java code and will run regardless of if your phone has an ARM, MIPS, or x86 chip powering the thing. There are a few apps which use the NDK to compile native code (and so may not run on an x86 device), but there's nothing really stopping developers from simply rebuilding their app with the "x86" option tacked onto the end of the APP_ABI makefile variable. Unless code is interfacing directly with hardware (which is itself small fraction of those using the NDK) no re-programming is necessary at all.

I very much doubt that cross-phone compatibility issues have much of anything to do with underlying architectures. I'd be more apt to believe it being fallout from bugs introduced durring manufactuers' over-zealous attempts to "differentiate" from vanilla Android.

JigPu

When my phone contract runs out in a bit over a year I hope to be able to change to something with "Intel Inside" ;)

Having said that, it looks like MIPS chips are a great alternative to the ARM chips that seem to dominate phones right now. Considering the smaller cost in silicon real estate for similar performance I don't understand why manufacturers haven't already jumped ship.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2173821/mips-launches-chip-microarchitecture

When my phone contract runs out in a bit over a year I hope to be able to change to something with "Intel Inside" ;)

Having said that, it looks like MIPS chips are a great alternative to the ARM chips that seem to dominate phones right now. Considering the smaller cost in silicon real estate for similar performance I don't understand why manufacturers haven't already jumped ship.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2173821/mips-launches-chip-microarchitecture

On MIPS you may have a laugth knowing AMD are 'at it again' this time they want to buy MIPS

AMD Wants to Buy MIPS, but can they Beat Google?

AMD are already working at Tablet and Mobile Phone GPU's with some apparently very good results, adding this to there portfolio should be fun.

I think the biggest issue preventing manufacturers from switching over is power consumption. However at this point with advancements in Intel's architecture along with improvements to battery cells will slowly allow this to become a reality.

Back