• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with memory please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yetikeeper

Ok so i am a bit of noob when it comes to overclocking. But when searching Google I thought were better for advice than overclockers.com.

So quick one.

Overclocked my graphics card - well impressed with myself.

Decided to overclock my Q9400 which is on an Asus P5P43TD.

increased the FSB from 333 to 390. This gives a boost from 2.6 to 3.2Ghz
If i go to 400 the computer has occasional crashes. But it is totally stable at FSB=390.
The problem I have is most other stuff is on AUTO and the memory/FSB ratio thing is set at 3:5 which means my Crucial 1333mhz memory is set at 1301mhz - so it is underclocked.

In the Dram Frequency option I have the option to set it at 1567Mhz(approx) rather than 1301Mhz.

So my question is, can i just go and buy some 1600Mhz memory and use this option.

Do i have other options.

Thanks in anticipation guys

Nelly

sorry, just realised you have a memory bit of the forum. Should have posted it there. perhaps it can be moved

You can overclock the ram, using less tight timings and changing the multi and perhaps volts.
What options does that bios have for memory tweaks?

Thank man for the reply, I have heaps of weird memory settings in the bios from voltage to manual timings adjustments etc etc

I dont feel confident enough to start messing around with voltages. I overclocked the processor to the max it would go without increasing voltag and the graphics card without increasing stock voltages.

Money is not a problem, rather than just trying to force my 9-9-9-27 1333mhz memory to go faster, can i just buy 1600mhz and replace the old memory. Will it then run ok at the overclock bus speed of 1560Mhz. Or is it not that simple.

You can buy it and set it at the clocks it's rated for...But normally with this type of board you need to do it manually.
Do take into account that memory doesn't normally die on you -even less than cpu's :D- so ocing it is a no brainer! Just tweak for stability for your particular use.
F.ex., if you just want the best setting for wprime32 or superpi 1mb use those as your burn test, or if you're aiming for a 24/7 oc test with prime95 blend overnite.

Just leave the FSB : DRAM ratio at 3:5 = DDR3-1301, which is only 16MHz (32 / 2) below what the modules are rated at. Chances are you'd never notice the difference between freq's of DDR3-1301 and DDR3-1567 anyway.

Ok great, thanks for all the kind replies.

I have just tested my existing memory and found errors in one of the sticks. So i have decided to switch from 4 x 2gb and install 2 sticks of 4GB from Kingston HyperX.

These will definately be 1600mhz and not 1333mhz like what i have now

With a FSB overclocked to 390 will I be able to run my memory at 1:1 (i.e 1560mhz). What will I have to do in the bios. Do i have to set manual timings or can i leave it on auto. Not sure if it is relevant my motherboard manual says Dual Channel Memory Architecture is 1600(OC)/1333/1066/800.

You should figure out which multiplier will net you 1600 or close to it with the FSB you're at.
Auto would make your ram run much much faster than 1600 I think.
What board is it again?

EDIT: Duh! Asus P5P43TD...Let me double check the bios options and I'll get back to you.

This > http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

Useful stuff...
Can't find the exact bios options for memory atm, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks man, you kind help has been well appreciated. I have read that overclockers guide/link several times (no, lets make that many many times). I have been lurking here for a while try to learn about stuff.

I have overclocked my Graphics card really well and been running my Q9400 at 3.2ghz for a few months. But it appears trying to get the memory to go with it is proving too illusive. tried all last night and everytime I switch to 1:1, no matter what i have changed I get the boot message "Overclocking failed, F1 to enter bios, F2 to load defaults"

So i think i have more or less decided to leave things as they are. Annoyingly i have my FSB stable now at 410mhz by increasing the vcore slightly - but the memory has to be run at 1333mhz which is annoying. Maybe its a motherboard limitiation, i will have to look into it further

1:1 would make the ram run much faster that's why...Double check your cpuz ram tab for the actual speed. ;)

Yep CPU-Z says the following

At the moment my memory is 3:5 8-8-8-20 tRFC 78 clocks 2T

SPD for my memory has JEDEC #4 666mhz 9-9-9-24 tRC34
XMP-1600 800mhz 9-9-9-24 tRC41

All voltages at 1.5v

let me tell you I have been at this all day (about 9 hours). I have put memory in different slots, set the bios to xmp with everything on auto, xmp with manual settings, auto with manual memory settings, manual overclock [390mhz] with manual memory timings, i have increased the cpu voltage to get the compuer stable at 400mhz and left the memory on auto, also done 400mhz and manual timings.

Things i have not done :
CPU-z has a tRC value - this is not in my bios. There is a tRFC but the values are either 36 clocks or 48 clocks. My SPD says tRC is 41 clocks for 1600mhz.

I have a Masters in Ecomonics and Business Management and thought i was a clever person until yesterday. Now I totally respect every man, woman and child who has succesfully overclocked their PC. In fact I am thinking of proposing the question "Have you ever succesfully overclocked a PC" be added to our company's job interview forms.

It can be quite challenging, but who doesn't enjoy going through it and fulfilling your goals?

Perhaps your ram kit doesn't like the settings you're using...cl8 is tight. loosen those to cl10 and try to set them at 800mhz with 1.65v.
Then after some memtest runs with no errors try tighter timings and lower volts. good luck!
Yep CPU-Z says the following

At the moment my memory is 3:5 8-8-8-20 tRFC 78 clocks 2T

SPD for my memory has JEDEC #4 666mhz 9-9-9-24 tRC34
XMP-1600 800mhz 9-9-9-24 tRC41

All voltages at 1.5v

let me tell you I have been at this all day (about 9 hours). I have put memory in different slots, set the bios to xmp with everything on auto, xmp with manual settings, auto with manual memory settings, manual overclock [390mhz] with manual memory timings, i have increased the cpu voltage to get the compuer stable at 400mhz and left the memory on auto, also done 400mhz and manual timings.

Things i have not done :
CPU-z has a tRC value - this is not in my bios. There is a tRFC but the values are either 36 clocks or 48 clocks. My SPD says tRC is 41 clocks for 1600mhz.

I have a Masters in Ecomonics and Business Management and thought i was a clever person until yesterday. Now I totally respect every man, woman and child who has succesfully overclocked their PC. In fact I am thinking of proposing the question "Have you ever succesfully overclocked a PC" be added to our company's job interview forms.

A FSB : DRAM ratio of 1:1 at a FSB of 390-410MHz is only DDR3-720 (390MHz) or DDR3-820 (410MHz), not DDR3-1560 at a 390MHz bus speed. To achieve a DDR3-1560 DRAM frequency at a FSB of 390MHz, the FSB : DRAM ratio needs to be set to 1:2. Since you haven't provided a link to your specific RAM, I assume the rated timings at DDR3-1333 are either 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-24. So just manually adjust the four primary DRAM timings to the modules rated values, leave all sub-timings on AUTO, and at a FSB of 390-410MHz leave the FSB : DRAM ratio at the current 3:5 = DDR3-1301 to DDR3-1333.

A FSB : DRAM ratio of 1:1 at a FSB of 390-410MHz is only DDR3-720 (390MHz) or DDR3-820 (410MHz), not DDR3-1560 at a 390MHz bus speed. To achieve a DDR3-1560 DRAM frequency at a FSB of 390MHz, the FSB : DRAM ratio needs to be set to 1:2. Since you haven't provided a link to your specific RAM, I assume the rated timings at DDR3-1333 are either 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-24. So just manually adjust the four primary DRAM timings to the modules rated values, leave all sub-timings on AUTO, and at a FSB of 390-410MHz leave the FSB : DRAM ratio at the current 3:5 = DDR3-1301 to DDR3-1333.

Sorry, my bad. Dont really understand overclocking speak. I actually meant 1:2 when i kept saying 1:1.

Anyway i am going down a path of explaining things and getting confused totally. Serves be right for trying to speak the lingo (laughs). I meant 1:2 when i kept saying 1:1.

Thanks for all your help but i have decided to run the memory at 1301mhz.

UPDATE

Hi guys

Just wanted to post an update on the memory speed problem on the ASUS P5P43TD. Just in case anybody else stumbles upon this thread whilst searching for the meaning of life.

As you all know I tried everything to run the memory at 1600mhz. even though I overclocked the CPU from 333mhz to 400mhz in the bios. the system would only boot if i set the memory to run at 1333. No matter what i tried, manual timings, XMP, everything on auto, FSB straps, voltage tweaks. It refused to boot.

SOLVED
I updated the bios and this enabled XMP settings to work. Q9400 now running at 3.2ghz with memory at 1600mhz.

FURTHER NOTE
What a waste of time this adventure has been apart from the satisfaction of completing the quest and gaining experience points. Now leveled up from "Noob" to "Lvl 1 Tinkerer"
For the record 1600mhz gives me 2 FPS extra when gaming, and a miniscule increase in Passmark.

Now i am going back to try for 3.6ghz on the CPU

thanks for all the help
Nelly

Back