• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop problem, CPU Multiplier set to x4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kerath

I've found out, that multiplier for my cpu won't go above x4.
I've got windows7 (32bit) and CPU is Intel Core2Duo P8600, it should have multiplier of x9.

I think it's not caused by the power savings because I've set the OS options for 100% performance. I was using CPU-Z for some tests:
Multiplier was set to x4 while idle and the power saving options in win7 were set to 100%.
While the CPU was stressed at 100%, multiplier was still at x4.
I could drop the multiplier to x2.5/x3 by changing the performance on lower settings in the power saving options.

Also I've had my CPU stressed for some time and the CPU temp went up to 54C so I don't think these are overheating problems.

Is there any way to change the maximum multiplier back to x9? I don't even know what changed it to the max of x4.
I don't have the SpeedStep options in BIOS.

EDIT:
So I was doing some more testing and after reboot, the multiplier can go up to x9, but after some time of stressing it's locked on up to x4.
What is more if i wait some time in idle, it can go back to x9 for a while, but as before it'll lock itself at x4 after short period of time.
As said before, I'm sure it's not because of overheating, I'm constantly checking the temperature of CPU and it never raised higher than 55C (on both multi x9 and x4)

Last edited:
You can try using an application like Throttlestop to see if it helps that out, but definitely watch the temperatures if you use it.

First of all, the lowest multiplier physically possible in a Core 2 CPU is 6. When CPU-Z starts reporting multipliers lower than that, it is for one of 2 reasons.

When lightly loaded, a P8600 can enter Super Low Frequency Mode (SLFM). This drops the bus speed internally from 266 MHz down to 133 MHz and when combined with the minimum 6 multiplier, your CPU will be running at 798 MHz. CPU-Z incorrectly reports this as a 266 MHz bus speed and then drops the multiplier in half down to 3. The total MHz shows up correctly as 798 MHz (266 MHz x 3 multiplier).

The other problem with laptops is clock modulation throttling. This is a trick that some laptops use to control overheating or power consumption. Clock modulation throttling can slow a CPU down internally to a fraction of its rated speed. When this happens, CPU-Z has decided to report this as a lower multiplier on some Core 2 based CPUs. That is technically not accurate but at least it informs a user that something is seriously wrong.

If your Intel based laptop has clock modulation throttling issues then the best program to monitor and control your CPU is ThrottleStop.

ThrottleStop 4.10
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

When you first start this program it will be in monitoring mode so you can see exactly what your CPU is doing. The monitoring area reports SLFM mode, clock modulation throttling and the multiplier completely separate. The initial warning message is intended for users with Extreme CPUs that are using ThrottleStop to overclock their CPUs. Your P8600 can not be overclocked like an Extreme X9100 or QX9300 CPU can be overclocked so no worries.

ThrottleStop includes a very accurate logging feature. Check the Log File option and then go do some gaming or whatever you like to do and then you will have a full record of what happened to your CPU. Exit ThrottleStop and then Copy and Paste the ThrottleStopLog.txt file somewhere convenient like www.pastebin.com and then post a link here so I can have a look if you don't understand what it is telling you.

ThrottleStop can be used to correct the 2 main types of clock modulation issues that many laptops have but before you do that, make sure your CPU/GPU heatsink is clean. Some laptops throttle randomly or prematurely while other laptops start to throttle for a reason such as a filthy heatsink, poor airflow or a power adapter that is starting to fail.

Edit: If you want to better understand the excessive throttling that Dell used to include as a standard "feature" in many of their laptops then read the ThrottleGate paper by Randall Cotton (aka. tinkerdude). It will show you just how ridiculous some manufacturers throttling schemes can be and how unnecessary they are.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?1gnwmozzy0w

Last edited:
ok sry to thread-jack but i've got an old-*** hp dv2120us laptop (AMD Turion X2 cpu) and I'm trying to squeeze all the performance out of it before i save up enough $ to upgrade. Almost everytime i look at the cpu freq in system performance monitor, it says its at 50% frequency. Then when i go into nvidia ntune, i can adjust the cpu freq but not the cpu multiplier...so USELESS!!! Its always at 4x instead of the full 8x (x200 mhz for 1.8 ghz)

Yall know any utilities that would allow me to lock the multiplier at 8x instead of 4x?? thanks

You can always reseat your CPU, Artic Silver works wonders. Many a Sony laptop I have bought for dirt cheap because they were "overheating"...

A few times, they have that annoying carbon and aluminum "heat pad"...discard it and use Artic Silver...
DON'T remove the foam thermal pads, they are a pain to replace..

First of all, the lowest multiplier physically possible in a Core 2 CPU is 6. When CPU-Z starts reporting multipliers lower than that, it is for one of 2 reasons.

When lightly loaded, a P8600 can enter Super Low Frequency Mode (SLFM). This drops the bus speed internally from 266 MHz down to 133 MHz and when combined with the minimum 6 multiplier, your CPU will be running at 798 MHz. CPU-Z incorrectly reports this as a 266 MHz bus speed and then drops the multiplier in half down to 3. The total MHz shows up correctly as 798 MHz (266 MHz x 3 multiplier).

The other problem with laptops is clock modulation throttling. This is a trick that some laptops use to control overheating or power consumption. Clock modulation throttling can slow a CPU down internally to a fraction of its rated speed. When this happens, CPU-Z has decided to report this as a lower multiplier on some Core 2 based CPUs. That is technically not accurate but at least it informs a user that something is seriously wrong.

If your Intel based laptop has clock modulation throttling issues then the best program to monitor and control your CPU is ThrottleStop.

ThrottleStop 4.10
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

When you first start this program it will be in monitoring mode so you can see exactly what your CPU is doing. The monitoring area reports SLFM mode, clock modulation throttling and the multiplier completely separate. The initial warning message is intended for users with Extreme CPUs that are using ThrottleStop to overclock their CPUs. Your P8600 can not be overclocked like an Extreme X9100 or QX9300 CPU can be overclocked so no worries.

ThrottleStop includes a very accurate logging feature. Check the Log File option and then go do some gaming or whatever you like to do and then you will have a full record of what happened to your CPU. Exit ThrottleStop and then Copy and Paste the ThrottleStopLog.txt file somewhere convenient like www.pastebin.com and then post a link here so I can have a look if you don't understand what it is telling you.

ThrottleStop can be used to correct the 2 main types of clock modulation issues that many laptops have but before you do that, make sure your CPU/GPU heatsink is clean. Some laptops throttle randomly or prematurely while other laptops start to throttle for a reason such as a filthy heatsink, poor airflow or a power adapter that is starting to fail.

Edit: If you want to better understand the excessive throttling that Dell used to include as a standard "feature" in many of their laptops then read the ThrottleGate paper by Randall Cotton (aka. tinkerdude). It will show you just how ridiculous some manufacturers throttling schemes can be and how unnecessary they are.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?1gnwmozzy0w

Back