• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bass_Infektor

Registered
Okay I installed ubuntu 11.04 on my second hdd..then I upgraded to 11.10.
My system loads but stays on a black screen and wont boot.
Was working great untill the update:(.
I have to deal with windows 7 u x64 now and i really wanted to try Linux!
I uninstalled linux and it would not let me boot into my windows install which is on my master hdd. What gives on that?
I had to re-install linux in order to boot into windows???
Also all of the sudden windows report a damaged hdd, thats a joke because i know none of my hdd's are damaged.

System...
1tb WD
250gb Maxtor
AMD Phenom II X6 1090tbe @ 4ghz
Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD3
Sapphire Radeon Hd 6790 1gb
8gb Gkill Sniper
Case..Coolermaster HAF 922
Cooling...Corsair H60 PPC

Well there may be a few things going on here. The upgrade might not have went successfully.

When grub loads you can try pressing "e" to edit the grub line for Ubuntu

look for and remove the following words:

Code:
 quiet splash

For example this is what one of mine looks like:

Code:
linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-generic root=UUID=06ce10c7-6ce5-424e-aa6c-c4a335f98956 ro   crashkernel=384M-2G:64M,2G-:128M [b][u]quiet splash[/b][/u] vt.handoff=7

Back in the day there used to be a bug with the graphical boot. All this does is sends scrolling text to your screen instead of trying to load a graphic (or the screen going black)

This will also allow you to see where Ubuntu is having trouble

As for the bootloader. You can always just restore the Microsoft bootloader by booting a Windows Install disc. See Here for some clues.

Last edited:
There is a problem there because it wont show any words and the upgrade went like a charm. Any other options like dl the beta 12.04 and installing that?
I know its beta and not complete, but i still have windows.

I am sorry you are not being descriptive enough for us to help you.

What do you mean by "it wont show any words". What happens when you turn on your computer? Do you see your boot menu like before?

The grub boot loader comes up..(purple screen)where i have to choose between Ubuntu,Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and recovery options.
I choose Ubuntu, and it appears to load then goes black and blank.
And stays black forever until i Hard reset the machine.

It appears that the information you provided me with took me to the a screen like command prompt response thing but I is busybox. I type I help an it give me commands, Idk what I'm doing lol.

ok well if it has dropped you to a busybox that means that there was some sort of major problem. We would have to examine the output for clues

I found out the problem....The hdd i was using for it, was failing. I took it out of my system.
found me another 250gb HDD laying around and just discovered....Ubuntu 12.04 is out!
So soon? I though it was supposed to be out later?

Last edited:
Back