Thread: Z68 vs. Z77

Registered

Z68 vs. Z77

Is there really much of a difference. I know the Z77 is more "IB ready" but will it really have much of a difference in performance.

Heatware Profile
    Im getting ready to upgrade from my Phenom II 965BE to the Intel platform myself.

I know that most of the Z77 if not all will have the ability to run PCI-E 3.0 when fitted with an Ivory Bridge chip while Z68 will not.

What other if any advantages there are im not sure. We wait for some kind soul fills in the blanks

Another question I had about the boards as well was....Are there any other "Known" chip sets at this time coming down the pike that will be Ivy Bridge chip sets or are these it for the moment ?
    Last edited by rogbur22; 04-20-12 at 11:02 PM.
    Intel I5-3570 @4.6 GHZ
    ASrock Z77 OC Formula
    16GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600 DDR 3
    (2) Gigabyte G1-Gaming GTX 970 4GB SLI
    Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
    (2) WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200 64mg cache
    Nvidia Surround triple monitor setup
    Pioneer Internal BD Writer (BDR-207DBK)
    Corsair Hydro H100i AIO CPU cooler
    Corsair HX850 Modular PSU
    Corsair 650D Mid Tower

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    I've heard Z88 is coming. What it is I do not know.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Quote Originally Posted by rogbur22 View Post
    I know that most of the Z77 if not all will have the ability to run PCI-E 3.0 when fitted with an Ivory Bridge chip while Z68 will not.
    Z68 boards can support pci-e 3.0, this talk about it.
    ---Desktop---
    i5 4670K - ASRock Z87M Extreme 4 - 8GB PC-2400 - Seasonic 750W M12II Bronze - 124GB Crucial M4 2TB WD Green - HD 4600 - Win 8.1

---Media Server---
    Same As Above - 2 Seagate 1TB Drives Raid 0 - Using PMS

new z77:

- 4 usb3 ports, natively
    - pcie 3.0 cpu controlled
    - new oc interface
    - no pci slot
    - irst 11 w/ intel caching

nothing crazy..
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ >>>JOIN NOW<<<
    Main Rig
    i5 3570k
    EVGA GTX 680

Asus Maximus V Gene mATX
    Silverstone TJ08E mATX
    16G Corsair Vengeance
    Corsair H80

Silverstone Strider Plus 850
    Crucial M4 256G SSD // Seagate 750G 7200.12 Storage

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested/***/Intel C2D/Q/X Thermal Designs Explained
    Heatware

Registered
    Hmm thanks for reminding me of the native USB didn't know about the other features to be honest. And what's this about Z88? Any word about it what so ever? I'm planning on making a new build consisting on i5 k IB and a 7850, only thing
    trying to decide is the motherboard at this point. It'll probably be the AsRock z77 pro 4 if there's nothing newer (z88) more suited toward the IB.

Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggz View Post
    Z68 boards can support pci-e 3.0, this talk about it.
    Ahh, Thanks, I did not know that
    Intel I5-3570 @4.6 GHZ
    ASrock Z77 OC Formula
    Corsair 650D Mid Tower

Vacationing to find my sanity Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Z77 IS the new chipset for ivybridge.

Registered
    Yes but any board with an 1155 socket is compatible with IB though, that's meaning the Z68 as well. The main thing I hear is that it's "more suited towards ivy bridge" but they don't say how or anything else really.

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallZixD View Post
    Yes but any board with an 1155 socket is compatible with IB though, that's meaning the Z68 as well. The main thing I hear is that it's "more suited towards ivy bridge" but they don't say how or anything else really.
    Not completely true as some of the P67-era ones need BIOS updates to support it and I don't know if every one of them will.

Z68
    This chipset represents the pinnacle of Intelís second-generation, mainstream Core processor platform (also known as Sandy Bridge). It combined the key features of the earlier P67 and H67 chipsets, as we have previously discussed. It supports splitting the main PCI-Express x16 connection into two x8 slots, allowing SLI or Crossfire functionality for improved gaming. It also allows for overclocking of select processors, and was the first Intel chipset to add Smart Response Technology Ė Intelís fancy name for SSD caching of a traditional hard drive. Use of the onboard graphics on Intelís Sandy Bridge processors is also supported, with up to two simultaneous monitor outputs.

Newer motherboards using this chipset have even been designed to be compatible with the upcoming third-gen Core processors; the Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 is one such example. Those modified in this way claim to support PCI-Express 3.0, once equipped with a new 3rd-generation processor that supports the new standard.

Z77
    This is the spiritual successor to Z68, with almost the exact same feature set. It has everything Z68 does and then some. For example, USB 3.0 has been integrated into the chipset; four USB 3.0 ports can be powered in this way, along with several of the older USB 2.0 ports. That means an add-on controller chip is no longer required, though many motherboards will still have one so that they can sport more than four USB 3.0 ports. SSD caching, overclocking, dual PCI-Express x8 slots, etc are all still available as well.

Another aspect of the chipset that has been improved is the support for onboard graphics. Once the matching 3rd-generation processors are out, motherboards will be able to offer three simultaneous monitor outputs instead of just two. Onboard graphics will also be faster, but both of those are functions of the newer processors; when paired with older Sandy Bridge CPUs, the speed will be the same as Z68 and the number of monitors supported at a time will still be two.
    Overall, not much difference.
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

I picked up the ASROCK Extreem4 from Microcenter with a i7-2600k yesterday. The main difference with a SB or IB is
    SB PCIe2.0 and HD3000 igpu graphics
    IB PCIe-3.0 and HD4000 igpu graphics

That is the only difference my ASROCK Extreem4 manual shows if using a SB CPU.
    I picked up the board for $79 with the i7-2600k cpu as a combo deal they doing.
    Mobo ASRock z77 Extreem4
    CPU i7-2600k @ 4.2 1.20v
    CPU HS/F Corsair H-100
    RAM Corsair Veng 12gig DDR3-1600
    GPU EVGA 760 SC Acx
    Storage 2tb HDD
    DVD Samsung BD/DVD/CD
    Inputs Logitech G510 and G700
    Sound Sb X-Fi titanium , TB DX12
    Case Haf X Advanced
    PSU TT TR2 RX 750w
    My Heatware

Heatware Profile
    Ok, so as I mentioned earlier I going into an Intel platform 1 piece at a time here. I only need my 4 core components. Once all 4 are in house I just change out my AMD core components.

The CPU- I was going to wait till just about last on this and see how IB does at launch before making a decision on one of those or the good old i5-2500.

The memory- not worried at the moment about memory Im sure I will get 8-16 gigs of speedy quality memory for a nice price. Just depends on board choice.

The CPU fan- I will get that soon. May try one of the Phanteks

The motherboard- I was going to get as soon as this week perhaps. So if Z-68 is just as good as 77 in the poll of public opinion then one of these ASrocks should do me just fine for either Sandy or Ivy Yes ?? I was always an Asus buyer for years but lately I have been getting ASrocks after some less than happy dealings with Asus support on some RMA's etc. Anyway ASrock, Gigabyte are fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157271

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157279

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157264
    Intel I5-3570 @4.6 GHZ
    ASrock Z77 OC Formula
    Corsair 650D Mid Tower

Registered
    So are you asking which motherboard to go with?

Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallZixD View Post
    So are you asking which motherboard to go with?
    If anyone has an opinion one way or the other then sure Im open to all suggestions. I just kinda had it narrowed down to these and posted em up to see if you fine folks had any opinions on them.

Ok the short answer is yes I suppose

If I bought one today I would get this one of the 3, of course it's the most expensive *sigh

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6157d33fad260d
    Last edited by rogbur22; 04-22-12 at 08:15 PM.
    Intel I5-3570 @4.6 GHZ
    ASrock Z77 OC Formula
    Corsair 650D Mid Tower

Z77 will run older Sandy Bridge CPUs AND the newer Ivy Bridge CPUs. The current Ivy Bridge CPUs don't look all that impressive at this point. But it is probable that the format will improve with eacfh new generation of processers. I believe Z77 is currently the better choice. I ordered an Asus Z77 yesterday.

Bach On
    Intel Core I5 2500K CPU (ES with D1 stepping)
    Asus P8P 67 Pro B3 Motherboard
    16 Gigabytes of Corsair Vengeance RAM
    MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Western Digital 500 Gig SATA 3 Drive
    Western Degital 1 Tb SATA 3 Drive
    Corsair GS700 watt power supply
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS
    External home brewed water cooling kit
    ViewSonic 27 inch monitor

Nothing is ever completely idiot proof because idiots are so resourceful and resilient.

Vacationing to find my sanity Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

About the only difference in Z77 vs Z68 is USB3 native and other minor features. If Z77 is the same price as Z68 I would grab Z77, if its more expensive, I dont see a reason for most people to jump on Z77 without a IB CPU (as its memory controller is REALLY robust).

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

If you're buying an IB processor and don't yet have an SB mobo, buy the Z77 (why not give yourself the least obsolescence out of the gate as possible).

If you've already got an SB mobo, but want to upgrade to IB proc, then stick with the SB mobo (there's just not enough there to justify the upgrade of the mobo).

Obviously a major price differential could change your mind. There might be some great deals on high-end Z68 boards in the comming weeks/months as retailers try to dump their old inventory in favor of the Z77 boards!
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.335, MSI APS, no LLC, PLL enabled, speed step on, all C-states enabled
    MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3)
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB 9-9-9-24-1T @ stock
    Gigabyte GV-N580UD-15I GTX 580 1.5GB
    Cooler Master 932 HAF, Antec HCG 750 PS, Corsair H60 water cooler
    2x Samgung 830 256GB SSD->512GB RAID0 (SATA3), 2TB Hitachi 5400 RPM HDD (SATA3)
    Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1