• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z68 vs. Z77

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmallZixD

Registered
Is there really much of a difference. I know the Z77 is more "IB ready" but will it really have much of a difference in performance.

Im getting ready to upgrade from my Phenom II 965BE to the Intel platform myself.

I know that most of the Z77 if not all will have the ability to run PCI-E 3.0 when fitted with an Ivory Bridge chip while Z68 will not.

What other if any advantages there are im not sure. We wait for some kind soul fills in the blanks :D

Another question I had about the boards as well was....Are there any other "Known" chip sets at this time coming down the pike that will be Ivy Bridge chip sets or are these it for the moment ?

Last edited:
new z77:

- 4 usb3 ports, natively
- pcie 3.0 cpu controlled
- new oc interface
- no pci slot
- irst 11 w/ intel caching

nothing crazy..

Hmm thanks for reminding me of the native USB didn't know about the other features to be honest. And what's this about Z88? Any word about it what so ever? I'm planning on making a new build consisting on i5 k IB and a 7850, only thing
trying to decide is the motherboard at this point. It'll probably be the AsRock z77 pro 4 if there's nothing newer (z88) more suited toward the IB.

Yes but any board with an 1155 socket is compatible with IB though, that's meaning the Z68 as well. The main thing I hear is that it's "more suited towards ivy bridge" but they don't say how or anything else really.

Yes but any board with an 1155 socket is compatible with IB though, that's meaning the Z68 as well. The main thing I hear is that it's "more suited towards ivy bridge" but they don't say how or anything else really.

Not completely true as some of the P67-era ones need BIOS updates to support it and I don't know if every one of them will.

Z68
This chipset represents the pinnacle of Intel’s second-generation, mainstream Core processor platform (also known as Sandy Bridge). It combined the key features of the earlier P67 and H67 chipsets, as we have previously discussed. It supports splitting the main PCI-Express x16 connection into two x8 slots, allowing SLI or Crossfire functionality for improved gaming. It also allows for overclocking of select processors, and was the first Intel chipset to add Smart Response Technology – Intel’s fancy name for SSD caching of a traditional hard drive. Use of the onboard graphics on Intel’s Sandy Bridge processors is also supported, with up to two simultaneous monitor outputs.

Newer motherboards using this chipset have even been designed to be compatible with the upcoming third-gen Core processors; the Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 is one such example. Those modified in this way claim to support PCI-Express 3.0, once equipped with a new 3rd-generation processor that supports the new standard.

Z77
This is the spiritual successor to Z68, with almost the exact same feature set. It has everything Z68 does and then some. For example, USB 3.0 has been integrated into the chipset; four USB 3.0 ports can be powered in this way, along with several of the older USB 2.0 ports. That means an add-on controller chip is no longer required, though many motherboards will still have one so that they can sport more than four USB 3.0 ports. SSD caching, overclocking, dual PCI-Express x8 slots, etc are all still available as well.

Another aspect of the chipset that has been improved is the support for onboard graphics. Once the matching 3rd-generation processors are out, motherboards will be able to offer three simultaneous monitor outputs instead of just two. Onboard graphics will also be faster, but both of those are functions of the newer processors; when paired with older Sandy Bridge CPUs, the speed will be the same as Z68 and the number of monitors supported at a time will still be two.

Overall, not much difference.

I picked up the ASROCK Extreem4 from Microcenter with a i7-2600k yesterday. The main difference with a SB or IB is
SB PCIe2.0 and HD3000 igpu graphics
IB PCIe-3.0 and HD4000 igpu graphics

That is the only difference my ASROCK Extreem4 manual shows if using a SB CPU.
I picked up the board for $79 with the i7-2600k cpu as a combo deal they doing.

Ok, so as I mentioned earlier I going into an Intel platform 1 piece at a time here. I only need my 4 core components. Once all 4 are in house I just change out my AMD core components.

The CPU- I was going to wait till just about last on this and see how IB does at launch before making a decision on one of those or the good old i5-2500.

The memory- not worried at the moment about memory Im sure I will get 8-16 gigs of speedy quality memory for a nice price. Just depends on board choice.

The CPU fan- I will get that soon. May try one of the Phanteks :thup:

The motherboard- I was going to get as soon as this week perhaps. So if Z-68 is just as good as 77 in the poll of public opinion then one of these ASrocks should do me just fine for either Sandy or Ivy Yes ?? I was always an Asus buyer for years but lately I have been getting ASrocks after some less than happy dealings with Asus support on some RMA's etc. Anyway ASrock, Gigabyte are fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157279

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157264

Last edited:
Z77 will run older Sandy Bridge CPUs AND the newer Ivy Bridge CPUs. The current Ivy Bridge CPUs don't look all that impressive at this point. But it is probable that the format will improve with eacfh new generation of processers. I believe Z77 is currently the better choice. I ordered an Asus Z77 yesterday.

Bach On

About the only difference in Z77 vs Z68 is USB3 native and other minor features. If Z77 is the same price as Z68 I would grab Z77, if its more expensive, I dont see a reason for most people to jump on Z77 without a IB CPU (as its memory controller is REALLY robust).

If you're buying an IB processor and don't yet have an SB mobo, buy the Z77 (why not give yourself the least obsolescence out of the gate as possible).

If you've already got an SB mobo, but want to upgrade to IB proc, then stick with the SB mobo (there's just not enough there to justify the upgrade of the mobo).

Obviously a major price differential could change your mind. There might be some great deals on high-end Z68 boards in the comming weeks/months as retailers try to dump their old inventory in favor of the Z77 boards! :)

Back