• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New System In Sig..windows 7 install..wtf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

I feel like a n00b, as I have built umpteen rigs, and this is just another one, but tihs issue is with windows 7 ultimate install. x64... I have my BIOS set to RAID because I have two 500s in Raid0.. No problem usually nor on last system. Whenever I go to install windows, when I get to "expanding" it quits and tells me that "windows cannot install required files, make sure all files are available etc. etc.". I've moved my SSD which is for my OS over to IDE Sata port in BIOS and physically move ports, still gets the error, moved it over to the JMICRON SataII port(s)(AHCI), same error. Tried my SSD on the raid enabled sata ports, used RAID drivers via disk/usb. Still got the error. I've tried two diff 7 ultimate disks.. I've google and tried configuring my ram , taking a stick out because that worked for some...still no luck... Ive ran memtest from boot to test ram and it came out fine. Any suggestions, Next i will try a diff dvd rom drive and see what i get.

has anyone else seen this issue?!

thanks!!

For Windows to work properly with an SSD, the connection to the SSD must be AHCI.

Here's my suggestion:

1. Set the ports that will eventually hold your RAID array to AHCI
  2. Connect only the SSD to a port separate from your RAID ports that's in AHCI mode
  3. Install Windows
  4. Configure the ports that will hold your RAID array as RAID and set up your array
  5. Install the RAID drivers in Windows

I removed my raid0 hdds and have the SSD solo in the SATAII (i'm assuming AHCI ports but BIOS doesnt even list them in the configuration) and am installing as if I only have the SSD and adding RAId later, so far its stuck at 0% which generally gets an error message after a bit, I will try that method you listed next.

-----
just error out as im typing this. using your method!

Switched DVD drives, still same issue.

took out the SSd and used one of my 500 that is intended for my raid array, and is installing no problem... i'm assuming culprit is the SSd. dear lord i've heard horror stories about SSD rma's from OCZs..i may just buy an m4 or for that fact buy a raptor...hmm

There is a potential problem even if you could install to the SSD. Raid will cripple performance on the AMD build, maybe even by half. I would try and install in AHCI without the raid attached, break the array and use the disks as separate drives. I had to do the same thing because of poor performance. I was able to get it working using raid but the OS was already on another array and I just cloned it to the SSD on the marvel port. There is no real need to have a single array beside an SSD as there is no advantage over single drives. You won't be copying from one array to another so there is no need for faster read/writes that only add to higher latency on a single array. I ended up breaking both my raid0 arrays and using them as single disks because the SSD performance was little better than a raptor using AMD raid drivers.

fixed it, my disk was bad, had to reburn my MSDN iso. worked fine. strange though the disk worked fine on my wifes rig...must not like the ssd.

none the less, ports 7 and 8 on my board are ahci only, 1-4 are ide/ahci/raid and 5-6 are raid/ide. My 2 wd blacks are on 1 and 2 in raid0, and my ssd and dvd are on 7 and 8 in ahci. 7 and 8 are sata 2 ports while rest are 3.

performance seems snappy, got all my drivers up and running p95 overnight.

thanks for alll the help, even though i was just an idiot!

Your mobo may be different than mine as it has 2 more sata ports, but I would check out this thread that started when I got my first SSD. On page 2 it shows the difference in performance when running raid in conjunction with AHCI for the SSD. If you run the AS SSD bench and your scores are only in the 200 range, your OS will suffer even though it seems faster than a regular drive. My scores went from the mid 200's to around 600 and higher after breaking my arrays. While the AMD raid driver supports AHCI, it doesn't do it well or at least it didn't then. The difference for me was very noticeable between the raid and AHCI driver.

Back