• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C6 State. How much does it save on AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joni

Anyone ever measured the power consumption on idle with C6 off and on? I tried to find some information about this but not any tests with FX or Phenom. Anyone have a Watt-O-Meter?

For chips like amd's fusion lineup it makes a decent difference allowing you to run most of the time around 30 watts while doing stuff vs 70watts with c6 off. That is assuming your running a small load like web browsing or watching movies. Something thats really only touching 1 core or so.

You'll notice it doing quite a bit on Intel Xeon's aswell. They've had very very aggressive power profiling for quite a while now.

On default power settings idle was about 98W (1400 MHz), with C6 state disabled from BIOS idle was about 117W (4000 MHz). On both cases full load on Prime95 was about 260W.

I had Turbo disabled, clocked to 4000 GHz with default voltages.

So it's not a big sin to keep C6 disabled, especially if you get some coil whine with C6 turned on.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just added it to show how much it takes at 4.0 GHz vs idle.

Back