• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

14" Laptops with Dedicated Graphics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustDepends

Title basically says it all.

I'm having trouble locating any laptops in my price range that are 14" and have dedicated graphics.

I don't have an exact set price. But this is what I want, and I want it to be as cheap as possible.

I would also like something durable that will last me.

That is all, thanks in advance :)

What will you be using it for?

What is your upper limit for price?

Also fwiw 14" laptops are hard to come by at the price range, surprisingly 15.4" laptops are generally cheaper. Are you set in getting a 14" laptop?

I am going to be using it for school. I am taking a computer related course, so I might need to run some rather beefy programs, let's say Photoshop for and example. And since I'll probably be waiting around a lot I'll be watching a lot of movies and playing some games. I'm thinking mainly TF2 and Minecraft. That is the main reason behind the dedicated graphics.

I think the ceiling might be $600 dollars, preferably under $500. And since my parents are paying for it I might be able to talk them onto letting me out on to the roof of $700. (I live in Canada btw, but I think that we are about par with the USD?)

I'm aware that 15" laptops are quite a bit cheaper. But I am going to be using this thing only when I'm out of the house. So I would like it to be a bit smaller.

Also, I found this laptop that seems to be pretty good. Any thoughts?

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/X460DX.html#/?div=Specification

I haven't heard much about MSI's laptops, but they are a well rounded trusted company in my eyes. So I can't see why that can't extend into their mobile products.

The only thing is that this is a bit more than I would like to spend.

Last edited:
I would be sure to get a 7200RPM drive, or an SSD.

While a 7200RPM drive does hurt battery life, it's worth the performance in my mind... That being said, it doesn't look like you'll have a ton of disk IO going, so you could get away with a slower disk if price doesn't allow anything better. I used a 5400RPM drive in my laptop for like... a day? Windows 7 runs well off 5400RPM, but it's by no means snappy or fast.

Woah, I didn't even notice that it only had a 5400rpm drive. I have an SSD in my current rig and I was thinking about bringing it over and using it in my laptop but I'm not sure.

Also some other versions of this laptop might have the faster drive. The one I'm looking at, at my current store, doesn't specify the speed on the website. I might go in and check it out.

Also on another side note. It has come to my attention that the integrated graphics on more modern laptops pack a little more punch than I had expected. So I was wondering if the Integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 would suffice for my basic gaming?

Its a bit out of the price range, but an M14x is an amazing machine for a 14-inch laptop. They just released an updated version with a 650m card, and that should bring the M14x even faster than the version I have with the 555m. But seeing how it blows the budget by a good 5-600 usd, don't really think this is a good option.

+1 on the m14x. Best 14inch laptop you can get for gaming and modeling, etc.

For the price you're looking for, you'll need to look at used/refurbished laptops.

Sony make a 13inch vaio laptop with a mid-level Radeon card and i5 CPU.

You can go for Dell's Alienware Laptop who is having much more dedicated graphics. But I think it costs around $1100, not an exact price. Its really very good for gaming and high quality images creation and graphics creation.

Last edited:
:\ The cheapest laptop I ever found with discrete graphics was the ASUS A53SV. I bought the -XE1 version(2630QM, 6GB RAM, 640GB 5400RPM) for $850, $900 with shipping, tax & poop.

Back