Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Vacationing to find my sanity Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Ok, so who has the....intestinal fortitude.... to delid a working IB, and put the solder on the die and relid to really test this theory out?

I believe it to be true, it is logical, however Im curious to know exactly how much difference it makes.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
    Ok, so who has the....intestinal fortitude.... to delid a working IB, and put the solder on the die and relid to really test this theory out?

I believe it to be true, it is logical, however Im curious to know exactly how much difference it makes.
    I'm sure you could get one of those sponsored guys who gets a tray of CPUs to bin to do it
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Remember, this isn't ordinary solder - it's a special fluxless blend made by and for Intel. The temperature to melt is (most likely) far lower than your typical lead-based or RoHS solder. If any action is to be taken, it should probably be de-lidding to directly cool the die. Trying to solder the IHS back on is soldering-iron-assisted-CPU-suicide.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Just take the bloody lid off and file the height of it down so it fits tightly on the DIE cap...
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. -Winston Churchill

Overall impressions with the Maximus V? Best Z77 board?

Was curious after reading that Anand article about undervolting where they did 4.5 at 1.1v so tested for myself. More like 4.3 for me. Average temp after an hour of load = 46C.

Motherboard Reviewer at Hardware Canucks
    Team OCX Bench Team
    Always lurking the motherboard section

Super Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Kind of a left field question, but anyone hear whether the IB-E will be unlocked or not?
    .....................................My HeatwareMyFAH Stats
    .......................Folding is a marathon, not a sprint audioaficionado
    Asus Commando, 8GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, Q6600 @3.0GHz >SMP2+GPU3 FAH 24/7
    Gigabyte DS3, 3GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6400 @3.0GHz
    Asus P5Q PRO Turbo, 4GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6600 @3.0GHz
    Iwill DH800, 2GB OCZ4002048PFDC-K 2.5-3-3-8-1t, Dual 2.4 M0 Xeons 1.5v/880/3300
    Help improve overclockers.com! Get involved!

You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds???Click This Link
    Anyone we catch cookie stuffing at this site will be banned on the spot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
    Was curious after reading that Anand article about undervolting where they did 4.5 at 1.1v so tested for myself. More like 4.3 for me. Average temp after an hour of load = 46C.

Not bad... What motherboard? Chip is always a factor (VID etc..), but the voltage regulation also makes a difference.
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ >>>JOIN NOW<<<
    Main Rig
    i5 3570k
    EVGA GTX 680

Asus Maximus V Gene mATX
    Silverstone TJ08E mATX
    16G Corsair Vengeance
    Corsair H80

Silverstone Strider Plus 850
    Crucial M4 256G SSD // Seagate 750G 7200.12 Storage

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested/***/Intel C2D/Q/X Thermal Designs Explained
    Heatware

Board is Max V Gene. Using Ultra High LLC so voltage stays at exactly 1.1v under load.
    Team OCX Bench Team

Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
    "The hottest core measurements are 46% higher with Ivy Bridge."

Arghh....No they are not. The Ivy Bridge core maxes out 7.8% higher in temperature than Sandy Bridge. You CAN NOT USE CELSIUS (or Fahrenheit) for percentage comparisons in temperature. You MUST use Kelvin. Anything else is flat out wrong. I am seeing it all over the place with these IVB reviews and forum posts.

Would you say when it's 1C and it rises to 2C that the temperature doubled? What about 33.8F to 35.6F...is that a 5.3% increase in temperature? Because, well...those are the exact same temperatures. (1C to 2C is 33.8 to 35.6 in F). Of course, the real answer is 1C to 2C is a 0.3% increase. (274.15K to 275.15K).

How about 0C to 4C? Wait, that's an INFINITE increase in temperature right? What about -3C to 6C?

I'd expect better from a technical article.
    Although its rarely helpful just to post "^This", I'm really tempted right now. I'm glad there's someone else out there who understands what % of temperatures actually mean (or rather don't). It's like when someone calls Internet Explorer "The Internet" or calls the monitor "the computer" and the box thing under the table "the hard drive". It's obvious what they're trying to say but the wrong thinking behind it just makes the teeth grind of everyone else.

Other than that, really good article! Thanks.

EDIT: Whoops. I see I'm not in the majority on this. Well "bah!" I say! We shouldn't leave bad maths lying around where kids might read and accept it! Wont someone please think of the children!
    Last edited by h4rm0ny; 04-26-12 at 01:55 AM.

Premium Member #5

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Audioaficionado View Post
    Kind of a left field question, but anyone hear whether the IB-E will be unlocked or not?
    I am sure they will have some kind of unlocked chip. Whether that be a K or X version or both I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rm0ny View Post
    Although its rarely helpful just to post "^This", I'm really tempted right now. I'm glad there's someone else out there who understands what % of temperatures actually mean (or rather don't). It's like when someone calls Internet Explorer "The Internet" or calls the monitor "the computer" and the box thing under the table "the hard drive". It's obvious what they're trying to say but the wrong thinking behind it just makes the teeth grind of everyone else.

Other than that, really good article! Thanks.

EDIT: Whoops. I see I'm not in the majority on this. Well "bah!" I say! We shouldn't leave bad maths lying around where kids might read and accept it! Wont someone please think of the children!
    When discussing cpu cooling by air or water, it is delta T that is relevant. The starting point is defined as AMBIENT temps when discussing cpu cooling, not 0 kelvin, delta T is core temp - ambient. Without ambient, cpu temps are not defined. Not only do you need to be mathematically correct, you also need to be technically correct for the field being discussed. It is not technically acceptable to define a delta percentage based on 0 degrees kelvin when discussing delta core-ambient, unless 0 kelvin is your ambient, in which case you have larger concerns. I have less of an issue with Hokies terminology than yours.
    4790K 4.7ghz, 1.28v, Koolance 380I wb
    GB Z97 UD5h
    GTX Titan, water/hydrocopper
    360 + 280 rad for gpu/cpu
    Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb
    Corsair Dom 2400 10,12,12
    Samsung 27 inch 1440
    Corsair HX850

Historically questioning: does Intel bond the CPU and IHS differently on overclockable vs. non-OC chips?
    Main rig: ASUS Z87 A||Intel i7-4770K @4.25 ||Corsair H100i
    Antec EA 650w||G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133 x8||Intel 730 240Gb
    Seagate 1Tb F1 7200 32Mb||HIS Radeon R9 290X ->Tt water 3.0 performer via G10 bracket
    NZXT Phantom Black||fans 1x140, 5x120, 1x200||Asus VN247H-P||Win7 Pro 64-bit
    Folding User Stats

In memory of Adak

Water Cooled Moderator
    Just to reiterate - the chip is not producing 46% more heat, thus the Kelvin thing is not useful regardless. It is likely producing a very similar amount or even less heat actually. The issue is core temperatures, not heat. We also have a likely reason for the temperature issue.

The CPU itself should be running a bit cooler as far as actual heat production goes. It is going to run at a higher temperature though due to the new transistor design, the increased power density and the change from solder to TIM under the IHS. Temperature was my point, and remains my point.

If rge is correct and I should have used delta, things change dramatically for the worse. Unfortunately I did not measure the ambient temperature at the time, but in that room (except in the dog days of summer) it is within two degrees of 23C, most of the time right on it. So, we can extrapolate from there.

Delta from ambient to hottest core
    2600K: 33C (56-23C)
    3770K: 59C (82-23C)
    All +/- 2C

Thus, the percentage increase of the delta is actually much worse than using zero as the starting point. Best case (Sandy's measurement being +2C and Ivy's being -2C), you're looking at 62.9%. Worst case in that deviation (Sandy being -2C and Ivy being +2C) would be 96.8%. Right in the middle is 78.9%, much worse than starting from zero.

I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert17 View Post
    Historically questioning: does Intel bond the CPU and IHS differently on overclockable vs. non-OC chips?
    I do not believe so, intel chips have been overclockable for quite some time, it wasn't until SB that they had the different 'unlocked' vs 'locked' chips and with the small variation in Bclk it made it so that there actually was a chip better for OCing [minus the extreme editions in years past]. There have been different models (I believe it was said that C2D e4*** chips used TIM while e8*** [and maybe 6***?] series used Solder.
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

Yeah should be similar to SB-E Im thinking, K and X versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbaxter View Post
    I am sure they will have some kind of unlocked chip. Whether that be a K or X version or both I don't know.
    Team OCX Bench Team

Socket Thermal Mechanical Specifications and Design Guidelines

Looks like TIM is the reference design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Frakk; 04-26-12 at 10:54 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. -Winston Churchill

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Solder would be a Thermal Interface Material too though.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Water Cooled Moderator
    Yep. SB was solder and its thermal sheet has the same diagram.

Looking through the most obvious segments have not yet found any info on what the DIE to HIS materials are, no mention of solder or thermal compound, nothing at all.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast