• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 3770K - Ivy Bridge - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I doubt it's listed, that document is for motherboard and system manufacturers, what the TIM is made out of is not their problem.

I guess we will have to wait for someone with money to throw away to delid a retail Ivy and see if it pulls the DIE cap off with the HIS.

Where did you see that?

Your very slow.... i edited my post and removed that statement looooooooooooooooooong before you quoted that, like 25 minutes before.
Did you have the quote sitting there for that time before you posted it or what? :D

I read the actual materials in Intel's data sheet myself and corrected it.

Looking through the most obvious segments have not yet found any info on what the DIE to HIS materials are, no mention of solder or thermal compound, nothing at all.

"Secret Sauce" is pretty self explanatory :p

Edit: this thread grew since I last refreshed the page :p

The difference in looks between solder and TIM should be enough to discern. Also if you lap a CPU IHS, you will see there is copper underneath. ;)

Last edited:
i want to cry. so happy for IB then this crap. like WTF @ intel. mayb they did this to force tjmax when OC, instead of providing good dissipation for OCs that the IBcpu will most likely do. guess i might be waiting for the second revision of this?

Has that intel rep said anything more yet? what where they thinking at intel? GRRRR so mad.

i want to cry. so happy for IB then this crap. like WTF @ intel. mayb they did this to force tjmax when OC, instead of providing good dissipation for OCs that the IBcpu will most likely do. guess i might be waiting for the second revision of this?

Has that intel rep said anything more yet? what where they thinking at intel? GRRRR so mad.

It is just possible the retail versions are soldered, these ones are pre launch samples and are just sort of (glued together)

Or that might be wishful thinking, what you see is what it is.

It is just possible the retail versions are soldered, these ones are pre launch samples and are just sort of (glued together)

Or that might be wishful thinking, what you see is what it is.

Why would they send review samples that a lot of people would base a purchase on that performed anything but as good as possible?

That and there is a link in this thread, I thought, that shows Shamino delidded his, which I think is retail(?), that shows TIM.

Doesnt make sense to me that it would be different. BUT, I have been known to be wrong before. :p

I mean, what does it take to believe its not solder? Chemical analysis?

That and there is a link in this thread, I thought, that shows Shamino delidded his, which I think is retail(?), that shows TIM.

Doesnt make sense to me that it would be different. BUT, I have been known to be wrong before. :p

Only when you don't have enough sleep;)

Why would they send review samples that a lot of people would base a purchase on that performed anything but as good as possible?

Your asking me? you should direct that question at Intel, i don't know...

I'm just looking at possible reasons why when sandy and just about every other CPU since way back when is soldered and Ivy is not.

Why would they do that? i'm asking you :p

4Ghz runs good it's possible 4Ghz under 1V :)

pic.jpg

EDIT by IMOG: Uploaded the image to our site, the image was hosted externally before (abload.de), and the hosting site had malware advertisements.

Last edited by a moderator:
He may have been referring to the VR-Zone piece based on our article, which is incorrect. The IHS is nickel-plated copper.

Sooo...are people still lapping their IHS? I did that with my first core2 and it made a noticeably decent difference in temps.

It fell out of fashion and was basically not as important as it once was. Maybe that will change with this generation. Time will tell.

It fell out of fashion and was basically not as important as it once was. Maybe that will change with this generation. Time will tell.

That's what I think... if you can minimize the effect of the TIM based ISH, the only real control is to improve the contact at the cooler mount.

Your very slow.... i edited my post and removed that statement looooooooooooooooooong before you quoted that, like 25 minutes before.
Did you have the quote sitting there for that time before you posted it or what? :D

I read the actual materials in Intel's data sheet myself and corrected it.

Actually I have access to every edit you've done. Just wanted to know where you saw that incorrect info.

Back