• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 3770K - Ivy Bridge - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not to my knowledge, but it's not something explicitly stated one way or the other.

From my own limited knowledge, it would seem very hard to stack transistors on top of one another, requiring additional silicon substrate on top of the first transistor, which would make cooling the first layer excessively difficult - the second layer would act as an insulator to the first. Yea, I'll go with 'most likely not' as an answer.

I'm also very limited in my knowledge of the actual engineering as well, so I don't know if the transistors themselves are packaged on one plane/layer. However I do know there are many layers (dozens, perhaps many more) within the chip that interconnects all the circuitry. There are interesting pictures and explanations if you google for things like electron microscope and CPUs.

This is one example I've seen linked around here before:
http://www.sciencystuff.com/

Thanks. :thup:

My question was mainly about the transistors any components. Not the interconnect pathways. Those pictures makes me appreciate the people who deisgn and implement this stuff.

Back