• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 3770K - Ivy Bridge - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats incorrect IB at 4.8GHz oc is 277 watts load and stock it's 134W load. My SB at 4.8GHz is 233 watts.

Yeah.. all bets are off when you crank the voltage on IB though.. out of curiosity, whats the power consumption on a similar clocked SB?

fall said:
I think i will stick with my 2600k for the mean time and just get a Z77 board
I have to ask, knowing what Z77 brings to the table, what would compel you to get rid of your current board?

Thats incorrect IB at 4.8GHz oc is 277 watts load and stock it's 134W load. My SB at 4.8GHz is 233 watts.
Well, the problem is you are comparing two different systems... mobo's, ram, hdd, etc. So though it may not make up the difference, its tough to compare non like systems and come to a conclusion. That and, he mentioned stock you go to overclocked to prove your point... LOL!

Eh? how will this chip cool your room down XD. If anything your rads are going to giving off alot more heat!

The IB CPU will use a lot less power than my Core i7 965 - the first gen was pretty power hungry, let alone when overclocked. Sure the temperature of the die will be hotter, that is just because it is higher density.

so if Intel actually sorted out the heat transfer between the actual chip/ lid the heat issues wouldnt be anywhere near as bad? Or is it down to the cip being so much smaller?

sorry for the crude questions. Its just its weird to think that a processor roasting at 80+ c would give off less heat than the 50c processor. But as it was mentioned IB uses even more W's when OC'd. Slightly cofused :p

Ah ok bad bonj. Thought you were on the Sb for some reason :S

so if Intel actually sorted out the heat transfer between the actual chip/ lid the heat issues wouldnt be anywhere near as bad?

We don't know yet how they are adhering the heatspreader to the chip. They could be using the soldering method they've used on more recent chips, or they may have gone back to a more traditional TIM. The only picture I've seen of a delidded IB chip did not appear to be soldered on... If it isn't soldered, part of the temperature problem when overclocked is VERY LIKELY due to the interface between IHS and die.

We don't know yet how they are adhering the heatspreader to the chip. They could be using the soldering method they've used on more recent chips, or they may have gone back to a more traditional TIM. The only picture I've seen of a delidded IB chip did not appear to be soldered on... If it isn't soldered, part of the temperature problem when overclocked is VERY LIKELY due to the interface between IHS and die.

yer thats what i saw, the delidded processor looked totally freee of solder. Seems a bit illogical not to solder it :S reasons?

so if Intel actually sorted out the heat transfer between the actual chip/ lid the heat issues wouldnt be anywhere near as bad? Or is it down to the cip being so much smaller?

sorry for the crude questions. Its just its weird to think that a processor roasting at 80+ c would give off less heat than the 50c processor. But as it was mentioned IB uses even more W's when OC'd. Slightly cofused :p

Ah ok bad bonj. Thought you were on the Sb for some reason :S

A lower temp on SB only means a more efficient heat transfer to the cooling solution. IB is getting hotter simply because the heat transfer isnt as efficient. As mentionned, this could be because of a TIM on the ISH instead of solder, or because of the power is concentrated on an even smaller area - or a combination of both. In both situations, it is more difficult to rid the chip of heat since the heat is both very concentrated in a pin-sized area, and there is a TIM gap preventing efficient transfer.. in addition to the other TIM used by the cooler.

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with I.M.O.G. about this. If they aren't doing the flusless bonding process between the IHS and processor die, then you will have severe problems getting the heat to transfer to the heatsink because the traditional (and old fashioned and cheap) TIM process is much less efficient. I have also seen that several reviews have given the processor die a size of 160 mm² as compared to the SB having a die size of 216 mm². If Intel is still actually using the fluxless soldering bonding process, then we are seeing power density problems such as Intel started having back in the day of single core P4 days.

Fantastic review. Coming from the system in my sig IB is obviously a good upgrade. I plan to OC to ~4.5ghz depending on temp. The higher temps with IB have me wondering what cooler will be needed to keep things in check. Do I grab one of the new Corsair all-in-one water cooling units, or a gigantic air cooler. I'm used to the big air coolers, but I'd like my cpu to last a while.

Thoughts?

I have to ask, knowing what Z77 brings to the table, what would compel you to get rid of your current board?

Boot loop issues (thought i fixed but didnt), Resets Cmos on reboot

but aside from actual issues I would like a smaller foot print now as I barely use the power I have.

I'd say a Noctua NH-D14 would be great on these if you want a solid air cooler. If you want water, I'd get something with a dual radiator (H100), custom water loop or not waste your time with water. The single-rad coolers are, for the most part, no better than you can get with a top-end air cooler.

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with I.M.O.G. about this. If they aren't doing the flusless bonding process between the IHS and processor die, then you will have severe problems getting the heat to transfer to the heatsink because the traditional (and old fashioned and cheap) TIM process is much less efficient. I have also seen that several reviews have given the processor die a size of 160 mm² as compared to the SB having a die size of 216 mm². If Intel is still actually using the fluxless soldering bonding process, then we are seeing power density problems such as Intel started having back in the day of single core P4 days.
Power density is exactly what I was thinking! :thup: It's funny how technology repeats itself.

As far as TIM vs solder, I would think that solder - a metal - is better than a non-metal TIM. I wonder if they did this on all chips or maybe just the demo's. Are they really exactly the same as the production versions? :confused: Or are they one offs made up just for demo's. That may be why the one the guy opened up had a TIM and not solder. I think that is what IMOG is going to ask Intel to find out.

I'd say a Noctua NH-D14 would be great on these if you want a solid air cooler. If you want water, I'd get something with a dual radiator (H100), custom water loop or not waste your time with water. The single-rad coolers are, for the most part, no better than you can get with a top-end air cooler.

That was my thinking as well. Thanks. I'm going to end up waiting for a new revision. Not in too much of a hurry to upgrade at this point. I'm willing to bet we'll have another G0 like revision on our hands once they figure a few things out.

Got my answer back from Intel... It isn't solder or TIM!

It is, and I quote, "secret sauce". :rolleyes: :rofl:

I urge you to go out and hound anyone with a dead Ivy Bridge, get them to delid (if its already dead a hammer and a screwdriver works well), and please report back with the findings... I'll write you personalized and deeply heartfelt love letters if your findings also include pictures posted here. :)

I urge you to go out and hound anyone with a dead Ivy Bridge, get them to delid (if its already dead a hammer and a screwdriver works well), and please report back with the findings... I'll write you personalized and deeply heartfelt love letters if your findings also include pictures posted here. :)

LOL !! Secret sauce = TIM as far as im concerned..

This really makes me want to delid one, I've always dreamed of heartfelt love letters from glorious leader...

I'll torture our ES and delid it if you'll buy me a retail. It is for science after all! :p

Back