• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 3770K - Ivy Bridge - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now that you've read the review, we'd also like to show you just a fraction of the exciting coverage to come! Merely in my corner of the world we have a solid motherboard in for testing - the ASUS Maximus V Gene.

asus-mvg-14-300x215.jpg

But wait, there's more! You already saw the insane speeds the IMC on these chips can produce. We'll also be taking a look at G.Skill's new TridentX DDR3-2666 memory kit, capable of blazing speeds.

gskill-ddr3-2666-13-300x265.jpg

You can watch developments on the kit in their preview thread.

There is plenty more to come too! We have reviewers with motherboards galore. We'll be freezing CPUs (this one included), doing so via Livestream as much as possible. Be sure to join us for the fun!

Nice in depth review as always!

IB is looking pretty tasty, if only they'd sell me one!

When do we get to see the IB in a MVG?

Excellent job in the review Hokie. Thorough and exactly what this community needs to know.

Seems like overall, for most users its MEH over a 2600k, but under extreme cold she really likes to hum!

Now... I have to admit Im incredibly sad about the paper launch. Thats very unlike Intel to do. :mad: :facepalm:

seems strange that ivy loses some of its advantage as the clocks are raised. really has me scratching my head. I would love to see the chip brought cold and see if it helps at SB clocks for performance, or if it continues to get closer to what SB does at 5.5ghz or so.
very informative, and great info. Thanks for taking the time to give us insight as to what to expect from this new beast

Well, it only has more of an advantage at stock because it is clocked 100MHz higher. The loss is by moving them to the same speed. :thup:

Excellent review Hokie:thup:, the clock for clock comparison with 2600k is very telling and probably for 95% of the community somewhat of a dissapointment given the high temps, price etc. For the xtreme community this will bring another set of world breaking benchmarks, so I for one is very excited about this platform

Such a pity we cant buy these on launch day, must be the 1st time as far as I can remember that Intel has no goodies on the shelves at launch day:(

big bunch of fail :(, for the regular person/ overclocker this chip has turned into a massive disappointment. I thought the early temp results were exaggerated but having seen this review it seems like intel have shot themselves in the foot

and great review :)

Last edited:
Looks like maybe I shouldn't have purchased 100 shares of Intel a few weeks ago :(

Here's for high-hopes for Haswell or chip revisions.

Oh, and as always. Awesome review, Hokie!

I think I see a typo:

First up, you can see the new and the old intermingled. There are two PCIe 3.0 16x slots (which run at dual 8x with two GPUs installed), two PCIe 1.0 slots, one PCIe 4.0 slot and two legacy PCI slots. Those are quickly going the way of the dodo, but legacy connectivity usually never hurts and certainly doesn’t in this case.

May want to edit it to say PCI-E 4x instead of 4.0 (and 1x instead of 1.0) for clarification.

Hope retail price comes in under 2600k otherwise it will not push current SB users to switch for only an additional 100Mhz and a few points of performance improvement...I'm talking about the regular guy on the street that runs at stock. If not I cant see how IB will be a market winner.

Good review thanks.

It seems if you already have a SB this is not realy a step up worth that extra money, but good news for those who like to freeze them.

Take nothing away from it it is a good chip and an improvement over SB.

Back